Topics

Microwave advice needed.

Nick

We returned home yesterday after a long weekend in Wales visiting a friend and generally touring around. After 20 odd years of motorhoming the good wife has decided that she would like a tv and a microwave oven fitted into the van. I'm already onto the telly side of things :-( but would appreciate any advice regards the microwave. We tend to "wild camp" about 50% of the time we are away so I suppose a 12 volt one would be preferable, as long as it doesn't eat into the leisure battery too much. As you can tell I'm a complete novice where these things are concerned. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nick.

I'm Bazbro

In my past experience, 12v ones are overpriced and horrendously expensive.  24v ones are available (for lorries) but I don't know the cost.
I my view, a GOOD inverter (Sterling or Victron) of about 1500w minimum will run a cheap Lidl (etc) microwave, plus toaster, vacuum, and charge the shaver, toothbrush, etc. - a good investment.  Don't buy a cheap inverter - a potential waste of money and a potential danger! Sterling often advertise their products much cheaper on eBay (as cancelled orders, etc).
This would be my choice. It's what I've done!
Barry

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 11:31 am Nick, <nickoff2@...> wrote:
We returned home yesterday after a long weekend in Wales visiting a friend and generally touring around. After 20 odd years of motorhoming the good wife has decided that she would like a tv and a microwave oven fitted into the van. I'm already onto the telly side of things :-( but would appreciate any advice regards the microwave. We tend to "wild camp" about 50% of the time we are away so I suppose a 12 volt one would be preferable, as long as it doesn't eat into the leisure battery too much. As you can tell I'm a complete novice where these things are concerned. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nick.

I'm Bazbro

I should have enquired as to the battery power you have available.  I have two 110amp leisure batteries (charged by a Sterling B2B charger because we wildcamp and tour a lot) - if you're static on sites, this won't matter so much.
Good luck.
Barry

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 3:00 pm Barry Brown, <barry.c.brown@...> wrote:
[...]

timsinc Sinclair

I'd be very wary about the inverter route to power a m-wave. My mere
750 watt one blows the 15amp fuse on the 12 sockets circuit. It wasn't
cheap, even though a non-sine version. And of course, never to use to
charge a tooth brush.

Paying for top of range inverter and having it wired separately to the
batteries probably equals cost of 12v m-wave.

Full time in my camper, I exist happily without microwave cooking -
and being single rely a lot on ready meals. Many, such as spag bol, I
just place in boiling water - like boil-in-bag kippers - for 20
minutes or so. Otherwise such as mac cheese go in my double skillet
that is really a hob-top oven.

OK, not so instant as m-wave cooking, but when is time so important on
a campsite?

TimS

-

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 11:31 am Nick, <@nickoff> wrote:

We returned home yesterday after a long weekend in Wales visiting a
friend and generally touring around. After 20 odd years of motorhoming
the
good wife has decided that she would like a tv and a microwave oven
fitted
into the van. I'm already onto the telly side of things :-( but would
appreciate any advice regards the microwave. We tend to "wild camp"
about
50% of the time we are away so I suppose a 12 volt one would be
preferable,
as long as it doesn't eat into the leisure battery too much. As you can
tell I'm a complete novice where these things are concerned. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Nick.

Ernest Bull

On 23 Sep 2019, at 11:31, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

After 20 odd years of motorhoming the good wife has decided that she would like a microwave oven …. I suppose a 12 volt one would be preferable,  Any advice would be appreciated.

No better advice than this https://www.diycampervan.co.uk/campervan-microwave/ Give up any notions of running one from your on board batteries - directly or via an inverter - unless you have a very big bank of a few hundred AHrs. Note what the man says - a 500W unit can pull a 1000W and that could draw a good 80A from you batteries. Even running it on mains could still cause problems on some sites where trips are set at 4A.

NB. Some inverters also deliver pseudo-sinewave current, which could cause malfunction or damage to some microwaves and sensitive electronic equipment.

HTH

ErnB

Ernest Bull

On 23 Sep 2019, at 15:50, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Full time in my camper, I exist happily without microwave cooking -
and being single rely a lot on ready meals.

I never bothered on my van, but on the boat I had before, I used a homemade hay box. Wooden box, lined with aluminium foil using expanded polystyrene and polyurethane spray foam to house the pot from a slow cooker. Or you could buy one or improvise as shown on this site: -

Get your porridge, stew or hot-pot bubbling away, pop it in the box or wrap it in a duvet, and it will cook away for hours while you are sleeping, driving 200 miles, working your boat up the Tardebigge Flight, or just exploring the town.

A very green, low energy, way of cooking and Amazon has a recipe book of of over 80 recipes: -
_______

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 10:31, Nick <@nickoff> wrote:

After 20 odd years of motorhoming the good wife has decided that she would like a tv and a microwave oven fitted into the van. I'm already onto the telly side of things :-( but would appreciate any advice regards the microwave. We tend to "wild camp" about 50% of the time we are away so I suppose a 12 volt one would be preferable, as long as it doesn't eat into the leisure battery too much. As you can tell I'm a complete novice where these things are concerned. Any advice would be appreciated.
As you say you are "a complete novice", then don't take this any
further unless you know someone personally that has the necessary
expertise, who you can rely on to do this for you. Forget approaching
a motorhome dealer with NCC approved workshops, as they don't have the
basic fundamental knowledge or experience.

Before the brexit result I was talking with Carthago, a premium
manufacture of German motorhomes. They were prepared to manufacture,
to special order a MH with 12 volt powered fridge and microwave oven.
But brexit got in the way and we bought an ex-stock Hymer (big
mistake).

You would need to install two or more Victron Lithium LiFePO4
batteries with their Battery Management System, Cyrix-Li-charge and
Cyrix-Li-load relays. Or something similar. I have bought such a
system and a PURE SIGN-WAVE inverter.

<https://www.es-store.co.uk/product_list.php?top=Batteries&cat_desc=Victron-Lithium-LiFePO4&cat_id=86&show_menu=25>

Alan.

Nick

Ok, thanks for all the replies/advice. I think I'll tell the wife that microwaves in a motorhome have been proven to give females an illness that makes it impossible for them to nag. That should be the end of the matter :-)

Nick.

Brian Reay

We have a small Daewoo 600W one fitted in our A class Rapido.

In our previous mh we had a Cookworks (Argos) 700W (or so) one.

We find having a uWave very useful.  It is great for heating milk (Latte Coffee), defrosting,  jacket potatoes... Plus we take a few home prepared frozen meals  mainly for days we are travelling. They can be defrosted enroute and then heated up in the uWave.

Even on 6A supplies in France the 600W one doesn't cause the breakers to pop.

Brian