Magbaz travels

Don Madge

I've not heard from Margaret & Barry for some time. There site does not appear to be updated since last summer.
Has anybody been in touch with them lately? I've had no reply to e mails I've sent them.
Don

Carol Weaver

Can’t say I have. I was never in touch with them. Only knew of them through you.  Maybe some of your ex colleagues may know at MMM Don.

Carol

On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 12:13, <don.madge@...> wrote:
I've not heard from Margaret & Barry for some time. There site does not appear to be updated since last summer.
Has anybody been in touch with them lately? I've had no reply to e mails I've sent them.
Don

Sandytrax

Yes, I’ve recently been in touch with them via their website to thank them for helpful info.

They replied by email as follows:

Dear Brian

Many thanks for your message and your kind words about our website. You will see from the email copied below, and the attached report which we recently circulated with it, that we are locked-down in, of all places, a flat somewhere between Fleetwood and Blackpool, having returned to the UK from Greece just as the virus was starting in China. Like you, we hadn’t a single clue that it would get so bad and the UK government prove so useless.

Your message reminds us of a time so recent, and yet seemingly lost beyond recall – the freedom of the open road. When will we see its like again? Thank goodness that we did make such a detailed record of our travels and provided a space for others to share their experiences, well before blogs and the social media became so dominant. It is rewarding to learn that it has been of use to you going back 13 years!

We do hope you will be reunited with your motorhome, to continue exploring our favourite country in Europe. Maybe we will meet there – who knows?

Bons Voyages (when you can)

Barry and Margaret

This is the email we circulated recently along with the above attachment

Dear friends

Attached and in no more than 600 words we give some idea of where we were and what we were doing when lockdown struck. It wouldn’t be us unless we also commented on Brexit which, in conjunction with the pandemic, the climate crisis and the coming financial crash, makes one wonder if capitalism was such a good idea after all.

The name we give the file ‘On the Last of the Land’ is from the Runrig ballad ‘This Beautiful Pain’ in their 1991 album ‘The Big Wheel’. All three of these phrases fit well into our present situation, as do the later lines: ‘Now all that I have is rushing right through my hands’ and ‘Down that tide where fresh and salt combine’. Sometimes music captures a particular experience and mood and then stays with it in the memory.

We hope that after being lifted off the ground and turned upside down by your own Big Wheel, it eventually drops you off dazed but upright and not too far from where it picked you up a few short weeks ago.

Barry and Margaret

Fleetwood: where ‘Fresh’ (the River Wyre) and ‘Salt’ (the Irish Sea) combine

Blackpool: Opera House, Winter Gardens and Tower, enjoyed by a lone man
and a lone seagull

Don Madge

Thanks Brian, I think I had a senior moment and  used the wrong address.
Don

David

Just a quickie. They have recently updated their website with a quite detailed report of recent events etc