Is yours a campervan or motorhome?

Alan Morris

Our homes on powered wheels are know by a few names/terms, but the
DVLA uses just one - "MOTOR CARAVAN".

Previously, I've always considered this DVLA term to mean it's taxed
differently to a (commercial) van. All other terms being a personal
choice.

Warners Group magazines use 'motorhome' and 'campervan' so that they
can publish two similar magazines, but they overlap each other.

Today I received a general information e-mail from my insurance
company, which contains the following:-

"At Comfort your vehicle is automatically covered for use in Europe
for up to 90 days as standard if it’s a campervan, or up to 9 months
if it’s a motorhome, without additional charge."

They put a clear difference between a campervan and motorhome. I
wonder how they differentiate between the two.

I've referred to my first MH built on a Land Rover in 2005, as a
motorhome or camper, depending on the circumstances, although DVLA use
"MOTOR CARAVAN".

My Hymer with coachbuilt body in clearly a "MOTOR CARAVAN".

But a converted panel van on a Fiat Ducato or VW T6, is open to anyone's guess.

So What is yours?

Motorhome. Dethleffs T7057 EB

Carol

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 17:09, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
[...]

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Sandytrax

Hi Alan
Good question!
I have received the same email from Comfort. I guess I’ll have to phone them to find out their definition.
Cheers
Brian

On 12 Jul 2019, at 20:00, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

Well we’re with Comfort and I haven’t received an email ☹️

Carol

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 21:14, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
[...]

Sent to another e-mail address, so forwarded to you Carol from that address.

Alan.

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 20:30, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Well we’re with Comfort and I haven’t received an email ☹️

Alan my main email is carol@... but sometimes gmail won’t use it and uses my gmail address and I can’t change it!!  It’s weird although gmail is supposedly set up and mostly works

I get all emails via gmail
Carol

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 20:30, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> Well we’re with Comfort and I haven’t received an email ☹️
>
> Carol

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

timsinc Sinclair

Me too. I'm full-time campervan with them. Will also phone.

TimS

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 17:09, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Neill King \(MH-List\)

As I understand it a campervan is a PVC - Panel Van Conversion.

But how Comfort define it is plainly a great interest to those who want to be abroad for longer periods and why the difference should be so great is something of a mystery.

And if they want artificial definitions what about my own import, a 'camping-car'?!

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@motorcaravanning.co.uk motorcaravanning@gmail.com
A great on-line motorhome parts & accessory shop & reference

[...]

penstrassoe <penstrassoe@...>

My Autosleeper Symbol is definitely a campervan. Or a camping car!

Dave

Carol Weaver

But surely as a full timer you have their full time insurance!  Costs more

Carol

On 12/07/2019, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
> Hi Alan
> Good question!
> I have received the same email from Comfort. I guess I’ll have to phone them
> to find out their definition.
> Cheers
> Brian
>
>> On 12 Jul 2019, at 20:00, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
>>
>> Motorhome. Dethleffs T7057 EB
>>
>> Carol
>>
>>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 17:09, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
>>> Our homes on powered wheels are know by a few names/terms, but the
>>> DVLA uses just one - "MOTOR CARAVAN".
>>>
>>> Previously, I've always considered this DVLA term to mean it's taxed
>>> differently to a (commercial) van.  All other terms being a personal
>>> choice.
>>>
>>> Warners Group magazines use 'motorhome' and 'campervan' so that they
>>> can publish two similar magazines, but they overlap each other.
>>>
>>> Today I received a general information e-mail from my insurance
>>> company, which contains the following:-
>>>
>>> "At Comfort your vehicle is automatically covered for use in Europe
>>> for up to 90 days as standard if it’s a campervan, or up to 9 months
>>> if it’s a motorhome, without additional charge."
>>>
>>> They put a clear difference between a campervan and motorhome.  I
>>> wonder how they differentiate between the two.
>>>
>>> I've referred to my first MH built on a Land Rover in 2005, as a
>>> motorhome or camper, depending on the circumstances, although DVLA use
>>> "MOTOR CARAVAN".
>>>
>>> My Hymer with coachbuilt body in clearly a  "MOTOR CARAVAN".
>>>
>>> But a converted panel van on a Fiat Ducato or VW T6, is open to anyone's
>>> guess.
>>>
>>> So What is yours?
>>>
>>> Alan.
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
>> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

timsinc Sinclair

Rang Comfort just now and was told that my camper was covered as a motorhome!

So I'm not limited to ninety days.

TimS

wrote:
[...]

So it is crazy!!!  As it would be a campervan in most ways.

What is their definition?

Yes it is a proper Motorhome converted by a recognised manufacturer with ALL necessary attributes to a Motorhome

Carol

On 13/07/2019, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
> But surely as a full timer you have their full time insurance!  Costs more
>
> Carol
>
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 22:53, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
>> Me too. I'm full-time campervan with them. Will also phone.
>>
>> TimS
>>
>> On 12/07/2019, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Alan
>> > Good question!
>> > I have received the same email from Comfort. I guess I’ll have to phone
>> them
>> > to find out their definition.
>> > Cheers
>> > Brian

>> anyone's

>> --
>>
>> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Neill King \(MH-List\)

There is some logic in limiting insurance cover for ‘look-alike campers’ that are not fully/properly equipped but using ‘campervan’ / ‘motorhome’ as a dividing definition is just plain bonkers. Especially given that there are motorhomes poorly equipped for long-terming and campervans that are well equipped even for full-timing.  Maybe they’re thinking of pop-tops with canvas sides and no proper toilet or shower, who knows?

Any suggestions for a better term for the less well equipped versions - anyone??

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

So it is crazy!!!  As it would be a campervan in most ways.

What is their definition?

Yes it is a proper Motorhome converted by a recognised manufacturer with ALL necessary attributes to a Motorhome

Carol

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 09:44, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Rang Comfort just now and was told that my camper was covered as a motorhome!

So I'm not limited to ninety days.

TimS

On 13/07/2019, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
> But surely as a full timer you have their full time insurance!  Costs more
>
> Carol
>
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 22:53, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
>> Me too. I'm full-time campervan with them. Will also phone.
>>
>> TimS
>>
>> On 12/07/2019, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Alan
>> > Good question!
>> > I have received the same email from Comfort. I guess I’ll have to phone
>> them
>> > to find out their definition.
>> > Cheers
>> > Brian

>> anyone's

>> --
>>
>> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Christopher Collins

Whilst you people are all jumping up and down about this, shouldn’t you actually find out from the company what the actual definitions mean? In writing, so they can’t change it verbally.

Christopher

On 13 Jul 2019, at 10:45 pm, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

There is some logic in limiting insurance cover for ‘look-alike campers’ that are not fully/properly equipped but using ‘campervan’ / ‘motorhome’ as a dividing definition is just plain bonkers. Especially given that there are motorhomes poorly equipped for long-terming and campervans that are well equipped even for full-timing.  Maybe they’re thinking of pop-tops with canvas sides and no proper toilet or shower, who knows?

Any suggestions for a better term for the less well equipped versions - anyone??

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

So it is crazy!!!  As it would be a campervan in most ways.

What is their definition?

Yes it is a proper Motorhome converted by a recognised manufacturer with ALL necessary attributes to a Motorhome

Carol

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 09:44, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Rang Comfort just now and was told that my camper was covered as a motorhome!

So I'm not limited to ninety days.

TimS

On 13/07/2019, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
> But surely as a full timer you have their full time insurance!  Costs more
>
> Carol
>
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 22:53, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
>> Me too. I'm full-time campervan with them. Will also phone.
>>
>> TimS
>>
>> On 12/07/2019, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Alan
>> > Good question!
>> > I have received the same email from Comfort. I guess I’ll have to phone
>> them
>> > to find out their definition.
>> > Cheers
>> > Brian

>> anyone's

>> --
>>
>> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

timsinc Sinclair

Which company is that? Van maker/converter or insurer? For myself, not
bothered, Christopher. So long as we know we have confirmation from
the insurer that we are correctly covered, that toll booths have us in
the correct class and that the DVLA have us in right tax band, I'm not
bothered what we're called.

TimS

<yahoo@motorcaravanning.co.uk> wrote:

There is some logic in limiting insurance cover for ‘look-alike campers’
that are not fully/properly equipped but using ‘campervan’ / ‘motorhome’
as a dividing definition is just plain bonkers. Especially given that
there are motorhomes poorly equipped for long-terming and campervans that
are well equipped even for full-timing. Maybe they’re thinking of
pop-tops with canvas sides and no proper toilet or shower, who knows?

Any suggestions for a better term for the less well equipped versions -
anyone??

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk <http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/>
01789-778825 551345165
neill@motorcaravanning.co.uk <mailto:neill@motorcaravanning.co.uk>
motorcaravanning@gmail.com <mailto:motorcaravanning@gmail.com>

<mailto:alan.g4ens@gmail.com>>

<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 12:45, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;)
<yahoo@motorcaravanning.co.uk> wrote:

Any suggestions for a better term for the less well equipped versions - anyone??
Generally referred to as 'day-vans'. A poor example is the VW
California. Some call it a camper van others a motorhome.

I looked at a secondhand one a month or so ago at a VW van dealership.
Probably the most expensive VW T6.

No toilet and no hot water facilities. I was taken back by these
major omissions.

No toilet and no hot water facilities. I was taken back by these
major omissions.
Gee, it's a weekend van, the California - you know the beach-surfing
place where you can sleep in a van (that takes surf boards) instead of
under the stars. And in the California which I had many years ago it
did have running hot water. Plus 2-burner hob and sink. But yes, no
loo. Portaloo suggested for those squeamish about going out and
digging a hole.

As it happens I have a T5 Westfalia conversion that has loo and shower
which I almost always use rather than campsite ones, living in it it
full-time.

TimS

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 06:50, penstrassoe <penstrassoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

My Autosleeper Symbol is definitely a campervan. Or a camping car!
So does DVLA have it as a "MOTOR CARAVAN"?

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 18:16, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

As it happens I have a T5 Westfalia conversion that has loo and shower
which I almost always use rather than campsite ones, living in it it
full-time.
Tim we are considering a T6 or T6.1 LWB.

My parents bought my first tent - a two-man hike tent for my Scouting
1st Class badge. I often left home on my peddle cycle on a Friday
evening, returning Sunday afternoon. Leaving the tent at night was
never a problem. But these days, due to medication, 2 or 3 times a
night it too much!

I see that recently new layouts are available with a built in toilet
and shower, with more room to move in the wet area than our Hymer.

Alan.

penstrassoe <penstrassoe@...>

Hi Alan,
Yep, it's a motor caravan. The alternative, for poorer conversions, is, I believe, A van with windows. I guess it's the loo, shower thing makes the difference.

Dave