I've found my way back.

Don Madge

Hello all, it's a long time since I last posted on here. When we gave motorhoming things kind of drifted away, no excuse for not keeping in touch though. The List was my favorite motorhome site and we made many friends over the years.
We are both well and still managing to walk about five miles most days. We moved from East Yorkshire down to west Sussex to Rustington a village near Littlehampton to be close to the family.

Up to last year we motored  to the western Algarve (Lagos) for the winter, we rented a cottage just north of Lagos on the edge of a National Park, a very peaceful spot.

Last year it came as a great shock when we could not get any travel/ medical cover for more than 28 days at a time it appears 85 is the cut off time for long stay travel. So we decide to winter away at 28 days at a time it meant flying and staying in hotels. This January we had a month in Madeira and it worked out very well, weather was fine we did lots of walking. Mid February saw us of to Malta for a month, it was OK, weather was good but we would not go again.
We left Malta the day before the lock down and arrived home safely.
We are now stuck at home like everybody else waiting for the lock down to end.
We are  very fortunate to be able to walk from Rustington to Littlehampton and back on the sea front its a very pleasant walk.
I'm sorry I've rambled on a bit but that's old age for you.

Stay safe.

Don

timsinc Sinclair

Don, great to hear from you and how you both are doing so well - it's
all that walking paying off!

I kind of recall Turkey was your escape to the warmth, but talk of
Lagos (Lagosh, I believe in Portuguese speak) brings fond memories - I
know it well from many m-home stop-overs in past years. Fantastic
coastline.

Have to say, I'm wondering about surviving the next winter if I can't
escape to the sun in my campervan home. Still, take each day (lovely
warm spring beauty around at the moment) as it comes. Live or die!

Tim

On 25/04/2020, don.madge@gmail.com <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Andy Clarke

Hi Don, and Maureen,

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you are both doing well.

5 miles a day is much better than I'm managing at the moment!

Andy Clarke

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 18:36 , <don.madge@...> wrote:
[...]

I thought Staysure would cover a single trip up to 104 days with no upper age limit?

Andy Clarke

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 18:36 , <don.madge@...> wrote:

Last year it came as a great shock when we could not get any travel/ medical cover for more than 28 days at a time it appears 85 is the cut off time for long stay travel.

Carol Weaver

Delighted to here from you both.

So pleased that you are both keeping fit and well. Nice to be able to walk along a prom too.

Handy normally to be close to your children even if at present we can’t see them

Very disappointed that you didn’t find any insurance for more than 28 days - is that purely age or due perhaps to the medical checks we invariably have to do these days.

Please keep in touch. Like you this has always been my preferred site. Facebook has its used but for getting real info here was best. Sadly it sort of lost lots of its original posters - like you and Marty - that always had links etc when we needed them. But we were before Facebook and a few of us are still here wittering on

Carol

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 18:36, <don.madge@...> wrote:
[...]

Keith Smith

Nice to hear you're still about and still healthy Don. Long time since Lynne and I visited Malta - it is, apparently, a lot different from when we last visited (end of 1970!).

When did you give up visiting Turkey? If memory serves, that used to be your winter go-to.

Take care, stay safe and healthy - love to the other half.

Keith

[...]

Trevor Mace

Hello Don!

Don't worry about the rambling, enjoyed hearing that you are both OK!

We bought a new van a couple of years ago and today I was saying to my wife that perhaps we might not get best use out of it because of Covid19... after all. says I, We will be 80 in 5 years time!  Then I see this from Don and I am cheered up no end!

Trevor

On 25/04/2020 18:36, don.madge@... wrote:
[...]

Roy Coldrick

Don

Great to hear that you are both fit and well and particularly glad to see you back on the list and hope that one day we can meet again in person once the lockdown is over.

Love to Maureen.  Keep walking.

Best wishes
Roy & Wendy

On 25 Apr 2020, at 18:36, don.madge@... wrote:

[...]

Bennett Family

Don,

Great to hear from you and to hear you are both fit & well.

If you look back a few weeks you will see that I mis-read one of Carol’s posts and thought she had said that you had both died! I didn’t get as far as writing an obituary but did think that MMM should have written something.

Anyhow, you can now join Mark Twain in stating  “the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”.

Keep up the walking (and washing of hands!)

Martin

On 25 Apr 2020, at 18:36, don.madge via groups.io <don.madge@...> wrote:

[...]

Mick Potter

Hi Don

You may not remember, but we met when you, Andy, we and?? were planning to go across North Africa, Tunisia to Egypt - bl**dy Arab spring, not that that worked!

Good to hear that you are still going strong, just waiting for the next chance to travel somewhere interesting, like us.

One day we will back out there.

Bests

Mick and Sue

Peter S

Yes welcome back, Don.

When I saw your request to join the Group on groups.io I thought you would get a very warm welcome. I was tempted to put a message up to say you were back but in these peculiar times I wanted people to have a nice surprise when they saw you posting.

Best wishes.

Peter S

[...]

I was surprised he found us on the new address unless you have a forwarding address on old list

Carol

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 10:05, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

[...]

Adrian Harman

Hi all
I only met Don once but always enjoyed his posts. I have to say he has always been the reason I have a Motorhome. I met him at a meet organised by this group many years ago on Exmoor somewhere. It was April or May and I was chatting to Don just before he left. “Where are you heading for I asked” Poole came the reply. “Whereabouts I live in Poole” He looked at me and said “I’ve got a ferry to catch to France” Thinking how lovely that sounded on its own I then said “Where are you going when you get there” His next two responses were to me the epitome of motorhoming and why I then wanted to retire asap. “Not sure we’ll just get off the ferry and drive” I then asked “How long are you away for” thinking of my two weeks away from work. He pointedly looked at his watch and turned to me and said “ I’ve got a dental appointment on 16th Oct so I guess I’ll come back for that”
Don I salute you and thank you for the inspiration

Best

Adrian

On 26 Apr 2020, 10:22 +0100, Carol Weaver <corconx@...>, wrote:
[...]

I may be disappearing as my martin@... email address will disappear at the end of May for some complicated reason.

I will need to reregister as martin.bennett47@...  - so if it appears I have faded away it may just be a change of email address.

Martin

[...]

😱 awful when your identity disappears

Just as well no Hymer now

Why not register Martinbennett

A selection. Then you never need change again

Carol

[...]

I have registered bigbeeches.co.uk  so may decide to use that.

Martin

[...]

Buff and Hugh

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM, Adrian Harman wrote:
Don I salute you and thank you for the inspiration
We agree entirely. Thank you for wonderful post, Adrian.

Best wishes to Don and Maureen and everyone. Keep smiling!

Buff and Hugh

Don Madge

Andy Clarke wrote,
 I thought Staysure would cover a single trip up to 104 days with no upper age limit?

Andy Clarke

Andy the best I come up with was with Insurewith annual multi trip for 31 days at time. That will suit us as we planned to spend a month in Turkey in November, a month in Madeira in January and a month in Cyprus Feb/March.. That was the plan but its all on hold at present.

Don

Peter S

That could be it Carol –  just checked – the Yahoo Group description says that it has been transferred. I am a bit surprised that Don’s subscription was not transferred over with everybody else.

Never mind. Don is back!

Peter S

[...]

On April 25th Roy Coldrick wrote

Don

Great to hear that you are both fit and well and particularly glad to see you back on the list and hope that one day we can meet again in person once the lockdown is over.

Love to Maureen.  Keep walking.

Best wishes
Roy & Wendy

Roy
Hope you are both well and staying safe. It would be great to get together again and talk over old times.
I cant be much help on the List as my motorhome/travel experiences are a bit dated.
We are very lucky with our walking, very pleasant as long as you dodge the bicycles and mobility scooters.
Love to Wendy.
regards

Don