Home & Away Internet

Ernest Bull

No need for a landline or contract. £22 pm Three’s HomeFi WiFi or Ethernet router for unlimited data and no data costs abroad. (No mention of what happens if there is a Brexit.) Check it out: -

ErnB

David Scholes

Hi

It seems expensive to me Ernie. I just use my own WiFi dongle which I also take in the van. I have 40 Gb rather than your all you can eat but when abroad they only allow 12 Gb for all their plans and that can get a bit tight. But I only pay £14 a month.

As for the banking, I have been notified of extra conditions for several accounts including RBOS, BOS, TSB & Nationwide. They all have their own apps but you still need a computer with a proper browser to log into your account to read your messages except for HBOS. Whichever you use they still send text messages or the like. It’s all about double checking on two devices. And as far as I can see that will continue. They did try using those card reading devices but they seem to be dying out. HBOS have never used those.

Years ago the banks all wanted two passwords but people complained so they brought out gadgets. Now they are going back to 2 passwords but by using 2 devices the customer doesn’t have to remember 2 passwords. HBOS do in effect still use 2 passwords and now they have the text message as well.

Really it isn’t the fault of the banks, it’s because of the crooks and us refusing to demand that the banks always carry the cost of fraud.

But, like somebody said, you need a texting phone but not necessarily a smart phone and you do not have to use an app, an ordinary computer is fine, at least it is with my banks.

David

On 13 Jun 2019, at 13:34, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:

No need for a landline or contract. £22 pm Three’s HomeFi WiFi or Ethernet router for unlimited data and no data costs abroad. (No mention of what happens if there is a Brexit.) Check it out: -

ErnB

David Scholes

Sorry Ernie, I forgot that I got informed by 3 that the current situation in Europe will continue whatever happens with Brexit.
Other networks may be different of course

David

On 13 Jun 2019, at 13:34, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:

No need for a landline or contract. £22 pm Three’s HomeFi WiFi or Ethernet router for unlimited data and no data costs abroad. (No mention of what happens if there is a Brexit.) Check it out: -

Three's data cap for Europe is 19gb, even if you have 40gb in UK deal.
For rest of the world the cap is 12gb.

TimS

On 13 Jun 2019, at 13:34, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

No need for a landline or contract. £22 pm Three’s HomeFi WiFi or Ethernet
router for unlimited data and no data costs abroad. (No mention of what
happens if there is a Brexit.) Check it out: -

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?

Vodafone have told me theirs will continue at least until 2021. Thing is there 100GB IS ALL usable in Europe

Carol

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 at 14:30, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
Sorry Ernie, I forgot that I got informed by 3 that the current situation in Europe will continue whatever happens with Brexit.
Other networks may be different of course

David

On 13 Jun 2019, at 13:34, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:

No need for a landline or contract. £22 pm Three’s HomeFi WiFi or Ethernet router for unlimited data and no data costs abroad. (No mention of what happens if there is a Brexit.) Check it out: -

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

jtwebb1

The principle is to use two factor authentication with two separate methods. Hence a PC and something sent to a phone or some one time passcode. With fingerprint they verify the phone itself, presumably via a cookie, and then accept your fingerprint. Slight watering down the principle of 2FA.

Ernest Bull

On 13 Jun 2019, at 17:37, jtwebb1 <lists@...> wrote:

The principle is to use two factor authentication ….

My principle is far more secure. I do not use internet or phone banking at all.
—————

ErnB

David Scholes

Which means that you must post everything and/or visit your branch.
I do not have a cheque book or a paying in book nor indeed do I have a branch for my main bank. Thus everything I do is via the internet and it seems pretty secure to me. The least secure part is visiting a cash machine to get cash out.

David

On 13 Jun 2019, at 18:53, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:

On 13 Jun 2019, at 17:37, jtwebb1 <lists@...> wrote:

The principle is to use two factor authentication ….

My principle is far more secure. I do not use internet or phone banking at all.
—————

ErnB

Nick

For what I'm paying Talk Talk that looks like a good deal to me. Plus the fact that our land line is always falling out. Must have had the B.T. engineers out at least 15 times. My one concern with this deal is that the manufacturer is Huawei who at the moment seem to getting some bad press. Am I being over cautious?

Nick.

David Scholes

Yes you are being over cautious.

The problem with Huawei is political. The USA believe that the Chinese government are using Huawei as agents to spy on the west using their networks (mainly 5g). As I do not have any advanced technology that may interest the Chinese I cannot see any reason for Huawei to spy on me and their Mifi dongles are one of only two makes of which I know. You do not need to buy from the networks either. Just go onto Amazon and search for dongles and both makes will come up (probably both made in China as probably are those of BT etc).
There does not seem to be any catch. I pay £14 per month for the 40Gb that I have and others pay around £20 for as much as they can eat. I also have a sim with 30Gb of data and free calls etc in my phone for which I pay £17 a month. My phone is working at over a hundred megs/ second at the moment (going direct not via WiFi) although my dongle (using WiFi) is never that fast, usually around 20-40megs/sec (I suspect a WiFi problem). Speeds vary according to the network, as do BT line speeds according to their line networks. My last BT line could only give me 2megs/sec even including the cable option which was costing me about £25 per month plus £180 per year line rental. I did have unlimited downloads but at that speed I used to lose most connections overnight when I tried to download big files (like system updates or TomTom maps).

Now I have changed where I live and the lines are better but they are still more expensive and rarely faster.

As far as I am concerned it is a no brainier, but check the speed of your home network first and believe nothing you are told about speed by any of the phone companies.

David

On 14 Jun 2019, at 11:13, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

For what I'm paying Talk Talk that looks like a good deal to me. Plus the fact that our land line is always falling out. Must have had the B.T. engineers out at least 15 times. My one concern with this deal is that the manufacturer is Huawei who at the moment seem to getting some bad press. Am I being over cautious?

Nick.

Ernest Bull

On 14 Jun 2019, at 11:13, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

My one concern with this deal is that the manufacturer is Huawei who at the moment seem to getting some bad press. Am I being over cautious?

My current 15GB MyFi is Huawei. No problems AFAIAA, Nick.

I am cancelling my PO Broadband Very slow, subject to lots of outages during the night and over weekends and costing £35 pm. That is why I kept the MyFi. That and handy when out and about.

I'll be £27 pm better off and never short of data. I think that I’ll get an internet radio, too. We like the oldies on Gold London.
————

ErnB

Ernest Bull

On 13 Jun 2019, at 22:43, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

Which means that you must post everything and/or visit your branch.

OK for now with plenty of ATMs and with the Bristol main branch less than a mile away. I now post cheques or send cash by registered post or recorded delivery. A couple of £20 notes in birthday cards sent ordinary mail went astray and I heard a rumour that it postal workers had gadgets that could detect the metal strip in banknotes. Could be true.
______

ErnB