Hi All Can members please tell me what they put in their cassettes . I was advised by the list to put bio tablets from lidl but they dont sell them anymore Than kyou for your help.Lenvee

Lenvee Hughes

Bennett Family

Apparently any bio ones work, I’m using Persil at the moment because that’s what we use for the clothes.

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 14:16, Lenvee Hughes <lenvee@...> wrote:

Andy Clarke

I've been using Lidl Formil liquid, can't say I'm over impressed with it. Put a couple of capfulls in after emptying then need to put another 2 in after a couple of days or so.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:52 Bennett Family via groups.io, <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Apparently any bio ones work, I’m using Persil at the moment because that’s what we use for the clothes.

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 14:16, Lenvee Hughes <lenvee@...> wrote:

timsinc Sinclair

Thetford toilet fluid or sachets.

Tim

Bennett Family

Andy,

On the bright side - if you can smell it then there’s less chance that you have Covid!

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 15:24, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

I've been using Lidl Formil liquid, can't say I'm over impressed with it. Put a couple of capfulls in after emptying then need to put another 2 in after a couple of days or so.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:52 Bennett Family via groups.io, <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Apparently any bio ones work, I’m using Persil at the moment because that’s what we use for the clothes.

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 14:16, Lenvee Hughes <lenvee@...> wrote:

Carol Weaver

We have a SOG and use nothing. Can be dumped anywhere. After all it’s only a bulk delivery 😂😘

Carol

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 16:07, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Andy,

On the bright side - if you can smell it then there’s less chance that you have Covid!

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 15:24, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

I've been using Lidl Formil liquid, can't say I'm over impressed with it. Put a couple of capfulls in after emptying then need to put another 2 in after a couple of days or so.

Andy Clarke

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:52 Bennett Family via groups.io, <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Apparently any bio ones work, I’m using Persil at the moment because that’s what we use for the clothes.

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 14:16, Lenvee Hughes <lenvee@...> wrote:

Steve Pyke

Hi
 We tried bio washing tablets a while ago in a hot summer but now use OneChem concentrated which only needs 20ml and claims to be bio friendly, although they also do a probiotic version now. A litre lasts ages and we very occasionally add a second dose after a couple of days if it's hot but usually empty the cassette after three days max as we very rarely use site loos. I buy two bottles for about £18 from a well known online store.

We found the Thetford products more expensive and smellier. We have a Dometic cassette loo without a separate flush water tank.

Steve

Visit our website http://motorhomeandaway.com

Sandytrax

Am I the only person who uses no additive and is happy with the result?
I have used the expensive green stuff but it did nothing for me!
I don’t think there’s anything lacking in my sense of smell.
 Even in 35+C temperatures in Greece.

Carol- I don’t think you can dump your bulk delivery ‘anywhere’!! 😂🤣😂

Happy dumping!
Brian

On 28 Jul 2020, at 20:28, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke@...> wrote:

Hi
 We tried bio washing tablets a while ago in a hot summer but now use OneChem concentrated which only needs 20ml and claims to be bio friendly, although they also do a probiotic version now. A litre lasts ages and we very occasionally add a second dose after a couple of days if it's hot but usually empty the cassette after three days max as we very rarely use site loos. I buy two bottles for about £18 from a well known online store.

We found the Thetford products more expensive and smellier. We have a Dometic cassette loo without a separate flush water tank.

Steve

Visit our website http://motorhomeandaway.com

Nick

I usually buy a 2 litre bottle of the Blue Diamond brand from Aldi for just under £6.00. Lasts for ages. In the past I haven't bothered about the flush tank additive but the Good Lady Bill picked up a bottle last time she was shopping, same brand, which I will be adding later this week.

Nick.

Peter S

We got bio tablets from Morrisons last year. Don't know if they still do them

Peter S

Sent from BlueMail

On 28 Jul 2020, at 20:09, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
[...]

Anywhere as in a public toilet!!

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 15:49, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

We have a SOG and use nothing. Can be dumped anywhere. After all it’s only a bulk delivery
Like Carol, we have used SOG in our motorhomes - since 2005.

Expensive to install, but a long term best buy.

Alan.

Ernest Bull

On 28 Jul 2020, at 20:09, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:

Carol- I don’t think you can dump your bulk delivery ‘anywhere’!!

I think that she could, you know.

I started to use Bio-Magic about 10 years ago. It certainly reduced the odour when dumping and, according to the maker, it turned the cassette contents into a benign, odourless, fertiliser, But then advised against dumping it in your vegetable patch.

It was pricey and as the active component was the same “oxygen” as used in bio washing machine tablets I followed a German M’Her’s advice and started to use the Lidl wash-tabs with equally satisfactory results. I think they were called Formil.
________

ErnB

John Clemence

I have been using my version of the SOG system with no additive and no smell for several years.
Mine only cost a couple of pounds or so for a "computer fan" and an "12 volt on / off switch". I mounted the fan on the inside of the cassette access door and the switch accessible on the side of the w.c. I bought a spare cap for the cassette and drilled some holes in it.
Just have to remember to fit the cap without holes on when driving! and manually switch on the fan when using the w.c. Simple!
John.

We have a SOG and use nothing. Can be dumped anywhere. After all it’s only a bulk delivery
Like Carol, we have used SOG in our motorhomes - since 2005.

Expensive to install, but a long term best buy.

Alan.

Derek Sims

Hi Martin

We do something similar, on the basis that if our clothes stink, the cassette might as well stink as much - or vice versa ;-)

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

From: "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...>
Date: 28 July 2020
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Apparently any bio ones work, I’m using Persil at the moment because that’s what we use for the clothes.

Martin

On 28 Jul 2020, at 14:16, Lenvee Hughes <lenvee@...> wrote:

Derek Sims

Anyone watch Ben Fogle, “New Lives in the Wild”? Yeah, I know they’re all repeats but we’ve only just got TV after resisting it for 50 years - seemed a shame to put mum-in-law’s in the skip when she went into the care home. Nice set - it’s 405 AND 625 lines so we’ll be ready for BBC 2 when it comes to North Devon. Lovely wood cabinet too. Plenty of room for plant pots on the top and warm enough to grow the cannabis. Nice to pay the licence fee and know we’re contributing to our son’s salary - they never really leave home, do they?

Anyway, to return to Ben Fogle. In this episode he spent a week with a family of four who’d abandoned their high-flying lifestyle to live in a converted school bus, after nearly dying in a 25-storey hotel during the Christchurch earthquake. Good watching for all potential full-timers, or any motorhoming enthusiasts, come to that.

During Ben’s week with them they made one of their infrequent visits to a commercial site to make use of the services. Ben copped for the Marigold Mission. I was almost gagging along with him - I’m glad our telly doesn’t have smell. Do they have that only the latest models?

Now, why is TISH looking on eBay at old coaches?

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

From: "Carol Weaver" <corconx@...>
Date: 28 July 2020
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
[...]

Interesting to see so much sensible information about crap - the reverse of our current mass media.

We’ve tried the Lidl Formil tablets in the past, but like visitors and fish, the cassette stinks after three days. Now we have a compromise solution. If we think we might go three days without emptying we use Elsan Double Blue - beats any Thetford product hands down (Sorry, bad choice words but I couldn’t resist it).

If we think emptying within a day is possible, we put in a cuppa tablets  of Sainsburys biological wash. That way we never have to clean the cassette internally. Smell-wise, neither of them seem offensive and it’s a relatively cheap option.

I’d be interested to know if anyone’s experimented with the amount of water they initially add to the cassette. We’ve long ignored Thetford’s 3l stipulation. We used to just put in 1l but found on sloping sites there was an initial turd-sticking risk. Now we’ve upped to 1.5l and that seems to work better - along with the “No pooping if the van is drooping” rule ;-)

HTH

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

From: "Nick" <nickoff2@...>
Date: 28 July 2020
To: motorhome-list@groups.io

I usually buy a 2 litre bottle of the Blue Diamond brand from Aldi for just under £6.00. Lasts for ages. In the past I haven't bothered about the flush tank additive but the Good Lady Bill picked up a bottle last time she was shopping, same brand, which I will be adding later this week.

Nick.

Richard

We also use OneChem and have had excellent results over the last couple of years. Tried the wash tabs once but were not impressed.
Richard

On 28/07/2020 18:28, Steve Pyke via groups.io wrote:
Hi
 We tried bio washing tablets a while ago in a hot summer but now use OneChem concentrated which only needs 20ml and claims to be bio friendly, although they also do a probiotic version now. A litre lasts ages and we very occasionally add a second dose after a couple of days if it's hot but usually empty the cassette after three days max as we very rarely use site loos. I buy two bottles for about £18 from a well known online store.

We found the Thetford products more expensive and smellier. We have a Dometic cassette loo without a separate flush water tank.

Steve

Visit our website http://motorhomeandaway.com

Brian Reay

We use the ‘blue’ sachets, whichever brand are available/ on offer etc.  We find them convenient and effective, although they aren’t usually asked to cope with solids if you get my drift ;-).

I always give the cassette a good rinse after each emptying, pop in a sachet, and perhaps half a litre of water.

We did try one of those fancy ‘automatic’ cassette empty/cleaning machines some sites have. It seemed very effective. Not something I’d use every time but, on this occasion, we were close to home and it was the last trip of the season- plus we were curious. I think it cost either £1 or perhaps £2. I think a sachet works out at about 50p. The process includes a ‘shot ‘ of chemical for the next use.

Brian

timsinc Sinclair

Lavatories always hot topic among campers - overtaking even that on
sat-navs. Our nostrils obviously play a big part of our motorhome
experience.

And the discussion has been interesting with some meandering thoughts
- loved those about the old tv!
Perhaps it might be broadened to include our eating habits and what
causes our poos to smell in the first place. Apparently, I read that
with healthy diet there should be very little smell and the faeces not
hard or too soft.

Still, not perfect world, certainly since our love of curries. So our
solutions:

* The SOG - never tried but gather it's a way of keeping the van
smell-free. However, it's the worst part - cassette emptying - that
can have me gagging. No SOG at disposal point.

* £/€2 cleaning machines. Seen them but always wondered whether worth
it. Maybe once in a while as suggested.

* Bio detergent/tabs. Tried several times, disappointed. Maybe I have
a low gagging threshhold.

* Commercial fluids/sachets. What I use - either Thetford or Elsan.
This could end up as a Garmin/TomTom which is best debate. But both
seem equally effective to me.

* On site loo. If it's regularly deep-cleansed (in these Covid times)
I'll use that. The CMC have a clever way of restricting occupants.
Outside the separate ladies and men's showers/loos were small tubs
with 2/3 wrist bands in Milton fluid. None there, you had to queue. If
one there, you put it on before entering; take off, put back in tub on
exiting. So at most, only three/two inside at any one time.

Campervan Tim