Henley postcard

timsinc Sinclair

I'm getting grumpier by the day. I just don't cope well with living in
an oven, setting 33C for slow cook in all daylight hours. Been nearly
a week of it now. This today is in a shaded pitch at Four Oaks CMC
site at Henley-on-Thames. But for family/friends, prescrip meds and
mail collection comittments I'd have been way oop coola north.

Inspired by Derek's pc from Jersey, here my sweaty scrawl just wordy
enough to spread over the address area. Good that I don't have to add
"wish you were here" - you wouldn't want to be. Anyway, some of my
findings coping with living full-time in my camper in this alternative
reality times.

First, I'm no longer free to roam spontaneously, at the turn of
steering wheel when spotting a camping sign. Yep, in school-hol hi
season, I knew required an on-line search and maybe need to ring site
day before. Well, check it out: now need to ring/on-line book some 60
days before.! Took full afternoon to cover August - September now
looking as stressful. Does no-one go home?

Secondly, the atmosphere on campsites. The usual friendly hi's and
'good day's like have disappeared. Even in marked-out queue for the
toilet block. Maybe it's because the sites are chokka. Everyone
focussed on their own bubble and space. Seems, sadly, almost "stranger
danger". My experience at Moreton-in-Marsh, although had some
friendlier chats at Henley.

As well as club sites, booked independents and pub stops - all with
different rules and instructions. Some no facilities open, some
demanding filled-in forms to be posted beforehand.

Motorhome life not as we know it.

Tim

Peter S

I had enough trouble trying to book sites for 2 weeks in late  September so what you are trying to do is many times worse. At one point I thought I had managed to find a couple of sites to cover one of the weeks, but that was kiboshed a couple of minutes later when I actually tried to book as a day in the middle at one of the sites was now full.

Good luck.

Peter S
Sent from BlueMail

On 12 Aug 2020, at 13:14, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
[...]

Andy Clarke

I guess that's the trouble if you're set on where you want to go, and use sites.

We've just had 17 days up to Scotland and back, nothing booked, didn't use campsites. Toilet emptying and filling with water a few times at the Lochore Meadows motorhome stop, and once at a relative's smallholding in County Durham.

Andy Clarke

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 13:29, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, Peter. It takes stress and fortitude to survive venturing out! To
get my five nights at Henley, I had to book white peg (pitch+awning)
pitches, the only ones available but for four nights only. On the
fifth night a blue peg (no awning) pitch became available. So I'll be
on the move - hopefully to equally shaded spot! Although think storms
by then will have broken this heatwave.

Tim

On 12 Aug 2020, 13:14, at 13:14, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]

Sandytrax

Some sympathy Tim re the lack of availability in U.K.
In Greece we have stayed 26 nights on 10 campsites plus one wildcamp. We haven’t needed to book anywhere but it’s become increasingly busy in August.
Have to provide phone number and email address at each campsite. No problem.
No queues for anything.
lots of social distancing signs and sanitiser.
It’s stupidly hot here at 35 C all day everyday with a little temperature drop at night. All doors and windows open and constant fan.
cheers!
Brian

Peter S

We just wanted to be sure we had somewhere to stop for a few nights at a time and not be worrying about it. Hadn't got anywhere really in mind when I started looking so in the end just put together 5 sites to run consecutively for 18 nights where there was some logic to the driving route.

If situation had been sorted we would be going to France and then would not have worried and played it by ear every day using sites and aires.

Looks like CAMpRA is doing a lot of good work, Andy.

Peter S

On 12/08/2020 13:53:57, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

[...]

Are you not venturing abroad Tim?

On 12/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you not venturing abroad Tim?
No, Carol. You with your soon tunnel booking braver than me. Weighing
up that many countries (especially now looking like inc France) being
added to quarantine-on-return list not to mention sudden reimposed
restrictions at some of these 'holiday' destinations.

Anyway, been too hot for me here, never mind Europe!

Tim

wrote:
[...]

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 12:14, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm getting grumpier by the day.
First, I'm no longer free to roam spontaneously, at the turn of
steering wheel when spotting a camping sign. Yep, in school-hol hi
season, I knew required an on-line search and maybe need to ring site
day before. Well, check it out: now need to ring/on-line book some 60
days before.! Took full afternoon to cover August - September now
looking as stressful. Does no-one go home?
When the two major campsite chains (CCC & CMC) lost interest in
looking after their customers (members) I forecast something similar.
But was criticised for being negative.

Secondly, the atmosphere on campsites. The usual friendly hi's and
'good day's like have disappeared. Even in marked-out queue for the
toilet block. Maybe it's because the sites are chokka. Everyone
focussed on their own bubble and space.
Unfortunately, to be expected. Just like folk stock-piling toilet
paper. Maggie's me, me, me society.

As well as club sites, booked independents and pub stops - all with
different rules and instructions. Some no facilities open, some
demanding filled-in forms to be posted beforehand.
I can support the need for forms etc. But why has the government not
posted standard forms on a website? Would be easier for all.

My wife had a filling fall out on Friday, so phoned our dentist. They
have introduced a set of forms on a website for completion before
attending. Arriving for her 9:30 Monday appointment she was greeted
by a nurse covered in PPE. A well organised distancing system was in
force outside. Entered by the normal door and exit by a door
previously only an emergency exit. A good one-way system. Treatment
rooms were being rotated and kept empty, so the next patient did not
sit in the same chair. We are not getting our normal six monthly
checkups, but the emergency system is perfect.

I waited in our car in their car park and watched the goings on. Next
door is a gym with it's entrance/exit close to the dentist. Six other
cars parked in the dentist car park. The nurse approached and asked
for the name & appointment time. Four were for the gym and were
directed to the gym's car park that is behind the gym - about 200
yards to walk to it's entrance and not the 20 yards from the dentist's
car park. Going to a gym, but too lazy to use the correct car park
requiring a longer walk. The two other cars were dentist's patients.

Motorhome life not as we know it.
Agreed. A few months ago, I did think about selling our Hymer 2016
for the above reasons. But decided no. Now thinking again. If we
still had our Land Rover motorhome we would be 'wild camping'.

Alan

Alan Morris

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 16:21, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you not venturing abroad Tim?
No, Carol. You with your soon tunnel booking braver than me. Weighing
up that many countries (especially now looking like inc France) being
added to quarantine-on-return list not to mention sudden reimposed
restrictions at some of these 'holiday' destinations.
Let's hope that Passion France sites are available for you Carol.

They are open. But planning Germany first back to where our holiday finished a month early last year. At Bad Tölz.  We will see how it goes. We rarely eat out and so it will just be our normal food shopping plus any cable cars etc we find. Probably end up in France but not sure yet. Planning for our usual 8 weeks away

Carol

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 17:46, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 16:21, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

> On 12/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> > Are you not venturing abroad Tim?

> No, Carol. You with your soon tunnel booking braver than me. Weighing

> up that many countries (especially now looking like inc France)  being

> added to quarantine-on-return list not to mention sudden reimposed

> restrictions at some of these 'holiday' destinations.

Let's hope that Passion France sites are available for you Carol.

Looks lovely. We have been in that area but not to that town.

Have a good time and hope you get all the 8 weeks in.

Peter S

They are open. But planning Germany first back to where our holiday finished a month early last year. At Bad Tölz.  We will see how it goes. We rarely eat out and so it will just be our normal food shopping plus any cable cars etc we find. Probably end up in France but not sure yet. Planning for our usual 8 weeks away

Carol

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 17:46, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 16:21, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

> On 12/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> > Are you not venturing abroad Tim?

> No, Carol. You with your soon tunnel booking braver than me. Weighing

> up that many countries (especially now looking like inc France)  being

> added to quarantine-on-return list not to mention sudden reimposed

> restrictions at some of these 'holiday' destinations.

Let's hope that Passion France sites are available for you Carol.

Carol, do you have travel insurance that covers Covid? Today's news on Beeb:
Germany has recorded its biggest daily increase in coronavirus cases
in more than three months. In France, new infections have nearly
doubled in recent weeks as Prime Minister Jean Castex warned that the
country had been going "the wrong way" for two weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53747852

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 17:46, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 16:21, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/08/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you not venturing abroad Tim?
No, Carol. You with your soon tunnel booking braver than me. Weighing
up that many countries (especially now looking like inc France) being
added to quarantine-on-return list not to mention sudden reimposed
restrictions at some of these 'holiday' destinations.

Let's hope that Passion France sites are available for you Carol.

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Ernest Bull

On 12 Aug 2020, at 13:14, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I just don't cope well with living in an oven, setting 33C for slow cook in all daylight hours.

I texted my son and his family holidaying on Crete where, the forecast said, it was sunny and cool in the mid 20s, to ell him how envious we were.
________

ErnB