From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> on behalf of Mick Potter <mickpotter@...>
Sent: 22 October 2020 21:55
To: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io>
Subject: [motorhome-list] Gaslow Changeover Valve

I have a Gaslow system, two cylinders, automatic changeover valve, regulator. This was recommended when I bought it.

In use, the changeover valve has been a pain. I managed to break one by (fairly gently) knocking it while fiddling around in the gas cupboard, and I think the replacement is acting strangely, in that I have just 'run out' of gas, while the cylinder indicator shows there is a lot left.

Can anyone tell me why I can't replace the valve with a simple 'Y' connector?

Mick

Andy Clarke

You probably can, if the changeover valve doesn’t also incorporate the regulator.

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 21:55 Mick Potter, <mickpotter@...> wrote:
I have a Gaslow system, two cylinders, automatic changeover valve, regulator. This was recommended when I bought it.

In use, the changeover valve has been a pain. I managed to break one by (fairly gently) knocking it while fiddling around in the gas cupboard, and I think the replacement is acting strangely, in that I have just 'run out' of gas, while the cylinder indicator shows there is a lot left.

Can anyone tell me why I can't replace the valve with a simple 'Y' connector?

Mick

David Scholes

I had on refillable cylinder fitted, an Alugas, with a Calor cylinder, with an adapter next to it. The Alugas was very light and the Calor was heavy and it cost about £10 to fill the Alugas and £30 to fill the Calor gas so it wasn’t long before I dumped the Calor gas and for several years I had just one. I ran out once and had to drive a fair few miles to find an all night garage with LPG. I then found myself living in the MH for nearly a year so I bought a second Alugas cylinder. Nobody suggested auto change valves. I suggested that I would run on one cylinder at a time but was recommended to keep both open as they would fill up better together. I tried it and found that the best system for me was whatever I felt like. Any old system seemed to work fine so I try to run one cylinder down to about half then change over and empty the second cylinder then fill up everything but if I get it wrong then just fill everything anyway.
It works fine. The only one I don’t want is to run both to empty and have no gas late on a Saturday night in the dark and an auto change valve would seem to make this more likely than less.

Best of luck

David

On 22 Oct 2020, at 22:08, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

You probably can, if the changeover valve doesn’t also incorporate the regulator.

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 21:55 Mick Potter, <mickpotter@...> wrote:
I have a Gaslow system, two cylinders, automatic changeover valve, regulator. This was recommended when I bought it.

In use, the changeover valve has been a pain. I managed to break one by (fairly gently) knocking it while fiddling around in the gas cupboard, and I think the replacement is acting strangely, in that I have just 'run out' of gas, while the cylinder indicator shows there is a lot left.

Can anyone tell me why I can't replace the valve with a simple 'Y' connector?

Mick

Andy Clarke

Years ago we imported a motorhome from Germany, it had the old Truma autochangeover system with an indicator inside the MH to show when it had changed over to the second cylinder. I fitted a Gaslow cylinder as the primary and a Calor as the secondary. It worked very well, we just refilled the Gaslow as soon a we could after it had run out, running on the Calor in the meantime. In the 5 or 6 years we had it we never needed to exchange the Calor cylinder.

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:33 David Scholes, <scholesd@...> wrote:
[..]
 The only one I don’t want is to run both to empty and have no gas late on a Saturday night in the dark and an auto change valve would seem to make this more likely than less.

Mick Potter

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. I'll probably go for a simple 'Y' connector, and just turn on one cylinder at a time. I'm in the habit of checking the gas fairly often, and w never seem to be too far from a filling station in most of the places we travel to.

Bests

Mick