future plans question...

timsinc Sinclair

"Motorhomes and caravans have been banned from joining standby queues
for ferries to Scottish islands after a tide of anger from islanders
about overwhelmed services.

"CalMac, the state-owned ferry company, has decided motorhomes, camper
vans and caravans will only be allowed on their services if they have
a confirmed reservation, in a bid to placate furious islanders.

"The new policy follows a surge in the number of complaints to CalMac."
---
One can understand how many resent us as a blight on their lives - be
it parking on their streets, blocking their view, filling up car
parks, wild-camping littering, sleeping in the van so can be first in
queue for standby ferry tickets.

Yes, I know we bring business to the areas where we stop, just as all
tourism does. But we occupy more space than a car and a b&b bedroom -
well certainly on tarmac.

Above all, our numbers have proliferated these last 18 months - too
many of us? Mind you, same could be said of the number of people
trying to live on our tiny island - many of whom have realised
holidaying right now best done on 'home territory'.

No doubt about it, revolutionary changes under way are something of a
system shock to our way of life. As 'old-timers' - I think most of us
here are - do you plan to resist and hope to carry on as "normal"? Or
anyone thinking of cashing in on ready market for 2nd-hand sales?

... or compromise? Kind of what I've decided. After three years living
full time on the road, have opted for some certainty with a fixed
(rented) base - but will keep my campervan on the drive!

TimS

Mike

Currently planning a long delayed (health reasons) tour of the W Islands during September, has anybody got any current information on the situation on Mull & Skye as in how welcome really are when using sites & services properly. Hopefully the situation may improve with a return to school of many but lets face it the majority of us are probably retired & travelling fairly frequently.

mtia
Mike Kemp

[...]

Andy Clarke

We're planning much the same, a visit to family in Edinburgh in mid September, then across to Skye for at least a couple of weeks.

We had about 10 days on Mull last October with a mix of wild camping and campsite, no problem at all. Expect to do the same on Skye.

The ban on motorhomes and caravans in ferry standby queues won't bother us if we go on to any other islands as we always book on Calmac anyway.

From what I understand sensible campervan and motorhome visitors are welcome, after all much of the economy is tourism based. As usual it's a few that cause most of the problems and complaints.

Andy Clarke

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:34 Mike via groups.io, <mike.egff=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Currently planning a long delayed (health reasons) tour of the W Islands during September, has anybody got any current information on the situation on Mull & Skye as in how welcome really are when using sites & services properly. Hopefully the situation may improve with a return to school of many but lets face it the majority of us are probably retired & travelling fairly frequently.

mtia
Mike Kemp

charlie.green@...

As a Western Isles resident who is also a motorhome owner, I am very pleased that after all the hassle/ problems of last year on the Isle of Lewis, that this year it has been so much better. There is still quite a bit of off grid stopovers, but by far the majority our heeding the advice of the Comhairle (Council) and only using recognised sites.

I also applaud the decision to stop motorhomes etc from what was really an abuse of the standby facility. Ok as a resident this will still be available to me, but to be honest I never quite understand why anyone would want to rely on a standby place unless it really was a last minute emergency trip. It doesn't take much to plan a trip surely?

Mike

Charlie, this is very reassuring response. As you say who really heads for standby places unless fleeing storms. Have booked for Mull & Skye & may look at Arran as we progress our travels.

Mike

As a Western Isles resident who is also a motorhome owner, I am very pleased that after all the hassle/ problems of last year on the Isle of Lewis, that this year it has been so much better. There is still quite a bit of off grid stopovers, but by far the majority our heeding the advice of the Comhairle (Council) and only using recognised sites.

I also applaud the decision to stop motorhomes etc from what was really an abuse of the standby facility. Ok as a resident this will still be available to me, but to be honest I never quite understand why anyone would want to rely on a standby place unless it really was a last minute emergency trip. It doesn't take much to plan a trip surely?

Alan Morris

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 at 10:29, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

But we occupy more space than a car and a b&b bedroom -
well certainly on tarmac.
I would have thought that your VW has a similar footprint to many
cars. Our Land Rover Defender 130 motorhome could fit into most car
park slots, so size not a problem, apart from height barriers!

No doubt about it, revolutionary changes under way are something of a
system shock to our way of life. As 'old-timers' - I think most of us
here are - do you plan to resist and hope to carry on as "normal"? Or
anyone thinking of cashing in on ready market for 2nd-hand sales?
The wife and I started self-isolation on 19th March last year. Today
we broke that for our first non-medical journey. We took our Fiat
Hymer Exsis T578 for a full service and MOT, hoping to tax it on 1st
September.

Since the start of covid we have decided to sell, then keep, then
sell; for so many times that we've forgotten how many times. Also due
to the wife's health, the last time it was used was just over two
years ago.

"Life as we knew it" has now gone forever. Especially with the
previous motorhome (more suited for winter than the Hymer) we were
always ready to depart with two hours notice at any time. No
pre-booking.

Charlie wrote:-

to be honest I never quite understand why anyone would want to rely on a standby place unless it really was a last minute emergency trip. It doesn't take much to plan a trip surely?
Motorhoming for us was mainly - head in a general direction and change
course depending on what we saw. Trips to the EU were the exception
for the channel crossing, but not short ferry hops in the Netherlands.

We've decided to give it a go again, but expect the need for more
advanced site bookings enroute.

We’re off on 31st for 8 weeks bit later than I would like but hopefully no sites a d no booking. Only bit of a plan is Duncan would like to drive the route of the tourist train that goes from Clermont Ferrand to Nimes. basically through Central Massif

No other plan

I’d like to drive the route again as weather was poor when we finished it last year.

Alpine Route

The Alpine Route has witnessed more incredulous ‘Wow!’s than most other stretches. This drive, from Lindau on Lake Constance to Schönau on Lake Königssee, is 450 km (280 miles) of stunning natural beauty as well as its fair share of cultural attractions. The most popular stops along the way include Bad Hindelang, Füssen, Oberammergau, Bavaria’s favorite ski resort – Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Tegernsee, Bad Tolz, and of course, the deserved climax of an unforgettable road trip – Königssee, arguably the most beautiful lake in the country.

Carol

On 16/08/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 at 10:29, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

But we occupy more space than a car and a b&b bedroom -
well certainly on tarmac.
I would have thought that your VW has a similar footprint to many
cars.
It does. Brilliant for me - a home (as single person) and a
run-around. When I said "we", was thinking more of most on the list
with van one-and-a-half bigger than a Tesco parking space.

Since the start of covid we have decided to sell, then keep, then
sell; for so many times that we've forgotten how many times.
I empathise. I've compromised, keep my run-around for a static home
life but with option to take off.

... we were
always ready to depart with two hours notice at any time. No
pre-booking.
That just was me. But sadly those golden days it seems are over.

We've decided to give it a go again,
Good on you. Wishing you all best even be it for what I've heard
called a UKation.

...but expect the need for more
advanced site bookings enroute.
Yep, be prepared for some hours needed on the mobile or internet for
booking. I'm living the experience.

It's a new world order, even for us motorhomers.

TmS

Alan Morris

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 17:36, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

The most popular stops along the way include .... Oberammergau,
I remember as a teenager our youth club leaders - Bob & Hilda Deen -
travelled to Oberammergau to see their once every ten years,
Oberammergau Passion Play. But never managed to get there - yet!

Alan.