future on the road?

timsinc Sinclair

So frustrating that when you read articles (and many out there) about
future of post-covid tourism that we lot are totally ignored. In fact
motoring holidays and camping never mentioned, although rise in
"staycations" get a mention and being good for local seaside towns.

No, they are all about flying (in half-full polluting aircrafts), the
queues at airports for robot disinfecting or body checks, and plastic
barriers around beach plots or between tables in restaurants. Everyone
hiding behind a face mask. Nightmare holidays I'd call them.

It is depressing (especially for full-time campervanners!) that when I
can again take off for new vistas what campsites do re-open will be
booked solid by so many of us that would normally be heading for
Europe. Wild camp? OK for few days but feeling a lot more insecure in
this 'unwelcome here' climate. And recharging and refilling/emptying
always needed.

May give rise to new way of finding pitches. Such as drives or land of
friends and family or fellow motorhomers. Hope that soon there'll be
new search app catering for such. Maybe there is one. What are others
planning?

Campervan Tim

Sandytrax

Hi Tim

I understand your frustration with the absence of motorhomes mentioned in news articles.
However, I quite like that the focus is on package holidays and flights abroad. I've always liked the feeling that, as a motorhome traveller, I'm not part of that part of that population!

No one knows what will happen with campsite bookings when the lockdown lifts.
My feeling is that most campsites will be desperate to recoup lost business and many 'holidaymakers' will be in fear of travel.

I thought, from previous posts, that you are a Spain/Portugal lover. I'm sure you'll be able to resume your preference in due course.

For my part, my camper van is locked down at Athens airport at a cost of 60 euro/month.
I'm looking forward to resuming my Greek exploration, probably in July judging by latest info from the Greek tourism minister.

Keep smiling!
Keep trip planning!

best wishes
Brian

Alan Morris

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 11:51, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

It is depressing (especially for full-time campervanners!) that when I
can again take off for new vistas what campsites do re-open will be
booked solid by so many of us that would normally be heading for
Europe. Wild camp? OK for few days but feeling a lot more insecure in
this 'unwelcome here' climate. And recharging and refilling/emptying
always needed.
Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.

I'm a pessimist, because I'm prepared for the worst and get a pleasant
surprise if things turn out better. So I'm not disappointed in the
end. Those that take out breakdown cover are natural pessimists!

I think that all campsites, commercial (including CCC & CMC), CLs, CSs
and aires will be increasing their over-night charges. They have to,
to recover their lost overheads during the lock-down period(s). Then
there will be the problem of full sites, making touring almost
impossible.

Having changed from the Land Rover motorhome to a Hymer motorhome,
I've now lost the ease to wide camp. The Land Rover, although unique,
it did not look out of place anywhere. The Hymer however, sticks out
anywhere.

Tim your VW is an ideal wild campervan.

Maybe for the UK a change in law could be a solution. All CLs and
CSs, plus many new ones not linked to the two main commercial
operators, and open to all, could be a solution.

I started as a tent camper, then caravaner and now motorhomer. The
system of charging those that use fewer site facilities a higher per
night fee than those that use all/most facilities, does not make
sense. Maybe a change is due here.

Alan.

Sandytrax

>>Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.<<

I'm definitely an optimist! Things general just work out ok if I just let go rather than trying to control the world!

I totally dislike CMC and CCC campsites. They are obviously fine for those who like a lot of order in their lives.
I prefer a bit of disorder!

I think it is a real shame that the CMC and CCC seem to control most of the 5 van sites.
Why could there not be a free website/app to locate them?

I believe anything more than £10 to park overnight on a bit of grass or gravel is extortionate.
Some prices are about the same as B&B now!
Ok if you want swimming pools and saunas and stay for a week or two.
This is an old model based upon caravans.
It is not a model for those who just want to stay a night or two. Motorhomes that move rather than static caravans.
I don't understand why folks spend £50k upwards for a van with a toilet and shower, but want to share one with many others.

Each to their own, I guess.

That's my 5p worth.

Cheers
Brian

John Clemence

I totally agree with you Brian, its a shame that the 5 van sites are not openly available to anyone. I think it is due to some planning restrictions but these days that is an archaic counter intuitive regulation which needs to be re-visited. But of course, the vested interests will block any attempts in this direction.
Just down to wild camping if one is restricted to touring in the UK then.
Vive la France!
John.

>>Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.<<

I'm definitely an optimist! Things general just work out ok if I just let go rather than trying to control the world!

I totally dislike CMC and CCC campsites. They are obviously fine for those who like a lot of order in their lives.
I prefer a bit of disorder!

I think it is a real shame that the CMC and CCC seem to control most of the 5 van sites.
Why could there not be a free website/app to locate them?

I believe anything more than £10 to park overnight on a bit of grass or gravel is extortionate.
Some prices are about the same as B&B now!
Ok if you want swimming pools and saunas and stay for a week or two.
This is an old model based upon caravans.
It is not a model for those who just want to stay a night or two. Motorhomes that move rather than static caravans.
I don't understand why folks spend £50k upwards for a van with a toilet and shower, but want to share one with many others.

Each to their own, I guess.

That's my 5p worth.

Cheers
Brian

Bennett Family

For about £2 per week you can be a member of BOTH clubs with access to all their sites & CLs plus other benefits.

It seems a pretty good deal to me.

Martin

On 3 May 2020, at 19:11, John Clemence via groups.io <clemence.john@...> wrote:

I totally agree with you Brian, its a shame that the 5 van sites are not openly available to anyone. I think it is due to some planning restrictions but these days that is an archaic counter intuitive regulation which needs to be re-visited. But of course, the vested interests will block any attempts in this direction.
Just down to wild camping if one is restricted to touring in the UK then.
Vive la France!
John.

>>Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.<<

I'm definitely an optimist! Things general just work out ok if I just let go rather than trying to control the world!

I totally dislike CMC and CCC campsites. They are obviously fine for those who like a lot of order in their lives.
I prefer a bit of disorder!

I think it is a real shame that the CMC and CCC seem to control most of the 5 van sites.
Why could there not be a free website/app to locate them?

I believe anything more than £10 to park overnight on a bit of grass or gravel is extortionate.
Some prices are about the same as B&B now!
Ok if you want swimming pools and saunas and stay for a week or two.
This is an old model based upon caravans.
It is not a model for those who just want to stay a night or two. Motorhomes that move rather than static caravans.
I don't understand why folks spend £50k upwards for a van with a toilet and shower, but want to share one with many others.

Each to their own, I guess.

That's my 5p worth.

Cheers
Brian

Derek Sims

I totally agree with you Brian, which is why most of touring is on the Continent, not necessarily wild camping but using aires, France Passion, permitted parking or the equivalent in whichever country we visit.

In the UK we use Britstops but, as we don’t drink a lot or want pub meals every night, we find it difficult to plan a complete trip around them. We used to use the CLs a lot, but now they and the CSs have generally become as expensive as commercial sites as they respond to Club pressure to put in more provision for large, all-electric caravans, (We met one simple-style CL owner who told  us that at the Annual Inspection he was told that this is what he had to do. He refused, but most don’t. This, of course, then makes the Club site prices look reasonable). I don’t know if the Motor Caravan Club CLs are any better, but I suspect not and I believe there are very few of them.

Of course, in the winter we’d like a hard standing, having been bogged-down too many times to want to repeat the experience, but we don’t need all the other add-ons.

The answer for us would be a network of aires but it doesn’t seem as if the money-grabbing attitude of most local authorities will ever be changed and Canterbury will remain the one shining example. Here in Woolacombe someone asked the Parish Council to consider making a number of (paid) overnight parking spaces available for motorhomes on Marine Drive, (Which, incidentally belongs to the National Trust, but is leased to the Parish Council, so even Trust Members have to pay to park). One of the families that owns a local hotel, caravan and chalet park apparently has over 20,000 beds available on any night in the season. Imagine the influence they weild locally. The parking suggestion hasn’t got off the ground and probably never will, so people just break the law and park overnight on the esplanade, giving motorhome owners a bad press locally.

We use the excellent arrangements for overnight parking in Torridge District and Powys Long Stay car parks, but they are only car parks, with no official water and dump facilities, and even that provision is scarce.

When do the ferries start to run again??!!

The optimist says his cup is half-full. The pessimist says is half-empty. The engineer says the cup’s the wrong size. I were an in ingneer.

Stay Sane

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

Forwarded email

From: Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...>
Date: 3 May 2020
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
>>Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.<<

I'm definitely an optimist! Things general just work out ok if I just let go rather than trying to control the world!

I totally dislike CMC and CCC campsites. They are obviously fine for those who like a lot of order in their lives.
I prefer a bit of disorder!

I think it is a real shame that the CMC and CCC seem to control most of the 5 van sites.
Why could there not be a free website/app to locate them?

I believe anything more than £10 to park overnight on a bit of grass or gravel is extortionate.
Some prices are about the same as B&B now!
Ok if you want swimming pools and saunas and stay for a week or two.
This is an old model based upon caravans.
It is not a model for those who just want to stay a night or two. Motorhomes that move rather than static caravans.
I don't understand why folks spend £50k upwards for a van with a toilet and shower, but want to share one with many others.

Each to their own, I guess.

That's my 5p worth.

Cheers
Brian

Andy Clarke

 It's not a planning restriction. 5 van sites are administered by 'Exempted Organisations',   such small sites can be set up without the usual planning and licence requirements. It is up to the Exempted Organisations to state whether the sites are restricted to their members only. CCC & CMC both impose this restriction, Motor Caravanners Club doesn't.

Andy Clarke

On Sun, 3 May 2020 19:11 John Clemence, <clemence.john@...> wrote:
I totally agree with you Brian, its a shame that the 5 van sites are not openly available to anyone. I think it is due to some planning restrictions but these days that is an archaic counter intuitive regulation which needs to be re-visited. But of course, the vested interests will block any attempts in this direction.
Just down to wild camping if one is restricted to touring in the UK then.
Vive la France!
John.

David Scholes

Thank you Andy. I did not know that bit about the MCC but I now understand why I was allowed to stay for several days on a site just south of East Midlands Airport without joining anything. It was a nice cheap site too, £6 just park and dump and water next to a golf course and with a walk up the hill to a fascinating old church.

David

www.ukmotorhomes.net

On Sun, 3 May 2020 19:11 John Clemence, <clemence.john@...> wrote:
I totally agree with you Brian, its a shame that the 5 van sites are not openly available to anyone. I think it is due to some planning restrictions but these days that is an archaic counter intuitive regulation which needs to be re-visited. But of course, the vested interests will block any attempts in this direction.
Just down to wild camping if one is restricted to touring in the UK then.
Vive la France!
John.

David Scholes

The site was called Breedon Priory

David

On 4 May 2020, at 13:37, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

[...]

Wirralgirl

Hi All,

C&CC do rallies for members only, mostly during spring to autumn – very cheap and usually no facilities other than water and toilet dump.

They can be sociable or not depending on the group and the situation.

We use these for most of our UK trips, with occasional pub stops and unofficial stopovers.

Price varies – from £7 to £12  a night for the unit, up to 2 adults and 2 kids.

I think the C&MC also do something similar.

Hoping that this year won’t be a total washout but I wouldn’t be surprised if all rallies are cancelled at least until autumn.

Looking forward to next year !

Best to all.

Sharon

>>Some folk are pessimists and others optimists. Optimists generally
approach life with a positive outlook, while pessimists tend to expect
the worst.<<

I'm definitely an optimist! Things general just work out ok if I just let go rather than trying to control the world!

I totally dislike CMC and CCC campsites. They are obviously fine for those who like a lot of order in their lives.
I prefer a bit of disorder!

I think it is a real shame that the CMC and CCC seem to control most of the 5 van sites.
Why could there not be a free website/app to locate them?

I believe anything more than £10 to park overnight on a bit of grass or gravel is extortionate.
Some prices are about the same as B&B now!
Ok if you want swimming pools and saunas and stay for a week or two.
This is an old model based upon caravans.
It is not a model for those who just want to stay a night or two. Motorhomes that move rather than static caravans.
I don't understand why folks spend £50k upwards for a van with a toilet and shower, but want to share one with many others.

Each to their own, I guess.

That's my 5p worth.

Cheers
Brian

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Carol Weaver

We use them from June to mid August every year.  Great we enjoy them

Carol