Fridge

David Scholes

Hello all and Happy Boxing day.

I am sitting in my van now on the Douro at Peso da Regua. My fridge is now working on mains electricity. It no longer works on battery (driving) nor on gas.
Back a couple of years I would have called CaravAndy whoo would have driven round and sorted it.
Does anybody know of any similar person/company in Portugal or around the Spanish border who would fix such a non functioning fridge?
Please

David

Brent

Hi David

Very happy holiday to you too and hopefully luck with sorting fridge.
Can't help with repair guy but as it's working on mains that rules out that element. So with the 12volt battery side do you have DC volt meter you can check to see if it's getting battery supply, if nothing check fuse and supply line back to 12 volt supply. With gas side can you hear a ticking as the gas tries to light? If so then could be blocked jet, if no clicking then ignighter problem.
Sorry can't help further, good luck and happy new year

Richard

I am with Brent on this. Definitely go looking for an electrical
disconnection or blown fuse. When working on gas it still needs 12v
battery power to open the gas valve. A bad fuse may be at the main
"Charger - distribution unit" or at the rear of the fridge accessible
via the vent panels.
Good luck
Richard

On 26/12/2021 15:18, David Scholes via groups.io wrote:
Hello all and Happy Boxing day.

I am sitting in my van now on the Douro at Peso da Regua. My fridge is now working on mains electricity. It no longer works on battery (driving) nor on gas.
Back a couple of years I would have called CaravAndy whoo would have driven round and sorted it.
Does anybody know of any similar person/company in Portugal or around the Spanish border who would fix such a non functioning fridge?
Please

David

Paulo Pestana

address : Estrada Nacional nº 1, Km 276 Meia Légua
4520-025 Escapães
Santa Maria da Feira
PORTUGAL

TEL:     (+351) 256 385 821
FAX :    (+351) 256 385 821
Móvel: (+351) 965 847 890

I think is relatively near.

Hope the best.

Compliments

Paulo Pestana

Brent <brentiow.c@...> escreveu no dia segunda, 27/12/2021 à(s) 09:29:

[...]

Good morning Brent and Richard.
Thanks for your speedy replies. I have actually done nothing so far because the weather here has been very wet and sometimes windy though not too cold for about a week now as opposed to the trip through France which was mainly cold.

The flasher works fine (manual fridge) and it seems to light but it doesn’t get cold. Whilst driving, on battery, the temperature regulator is not used so on a long trip it used to get very cold but mow, nothing. I thought it might have been a loss of coolant during the two years of lockdown but it works on mains so it can’t be that.
The change over switch has gone very stiff and i therefore wonder whether that could be the problem but why/how? Anyway, the only way to check that would be to try a new one (which CaraVandy would probably have on his van).
My wife thinks that we can cope without but that is dodgy since Esther Rantzen got preservatives removed from food.
Google thinks there is a man near Loule but the reviews are not good and it is a long way away.
Still thinking hopefully
Further thoughts welcome
David

On 27 Dec 2021, at 10:02, Richard <edelec@gmx.com> wrote:

[...]

Good morning Paulo and thank you for your reply.
I shall make my way towards you and hopefully contact you in the next couple of days

David

On 27 Dec 2021, at 10:35, David Scholes <scholesd@icloud.com> wrote:

[...]

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

That's a link I found while looking in my facebook groups for a dealer near where you are, i live in Barreiro near Lisbon (in the other side of the river Tagus).
I think you're right since it works at 220V that's not a coolant problem, 12V and 220V have 2 different resistances so might be the switch.

Paulo

David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io> escreveu no dia segunda, 27/12/2021 à(s) 10:42:

Good morning Paulo and thank you for your reply.
I shall make my way towards you and hopefully contact you in the next couple of days

David
> On 27 Dec 2021, at 10:35, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
>
> Good morning Brent and Richard.
> Thanks for your speedy replies. I have actually done nothing so far because the weather here has been very wet and sometimes windy though not too cold for about a week now as opposed to the trip through France which was mainly cold.
>
> The flasher works fine (manual fridge) and it seems to light but it doesn’t get cold. Whilst driving, on battery, the temperature regulator is not used so on a long trip it used to get very cold but mow, nothing. I thought it might have been a loss of coolant during the two years of lockdown but it works on mains so it can’t be that.
> The change over switch has gone very stiff and i therefore wonder whether that could be the problem but why/how? Anyway, the only way to check that would be to try a new one (which CaraVandy would probably have on his van).
> My wife thinks that we can cope without but that is dodgy since Esther Rantzen got preservatives removed from food.
> Google thinks there is a man near Loule but the reviews are not good and it is a long way away.
> Still thinking hopefully
> Further thoughts welcome
> David
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 27 Dec 2021, at 10:02, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:
>>
>> I am with Brent on this. Definitely go looking for an electrical
>> disconnection or blown fuse. When working on gas it still needs 12v
>> battery power to open the gas valve. A bad fuse may be at the main
>> "Charger - distribution unit" or at the rear of the fridge accessible
>> via the vent panels.
>> Good luck
>> Richard

>>> Hello all and Happy Boxing day.
>>>
>>> I am sitting in my van now on the Douro at Peso da Regua. My fridge is now working on mains electricity. It no longer works on battery (driving) nor on gas.
>>> Back a couple of years I would have called CaravAndy whoo would have driven round and sorted it.
>>> Does anybody know of any similar person/company in Portugal or around the Spanish border who would fix such a non functioning fridge?
>>> Please
>>>
>>> David

Anthony Oliver

That’s not strictly true dependant upon the type of age. The 3 way fridge in my Hymer, on gas doesn’t require 12v - it used 2 AA batteries for the electronic ignition, and once the thermocouple has heated up sufficiently to generate a voltage, this holds in the solenoid on the gas valve. If it’s this type of fridge he needs to look to see the batteries are good. These are usually located behind the ignition button which needs a half twist anti clockwise to get at them!

John Young

Could it be that the 12 volt heating element has gone open circuit. Spares are probably available on line for diy but it can be quite a job replacing the element, depends on your situation. Best of luck,whichever.

David Scholes

Good morning John and thank you for your latest try.
Things have changed. I was collecting names of people who could perhaps help. But i was worried that they were all portugues and there would be a communication problem.
Then one morning a couple of days ago, it was cold so it had started working on gas. It didnt make much difference because we had eaten almost everything in it.
Today we intend to move again so we will now test the battery cooling but we can easily cope without that for now.
My figuring of the problem is that it is just another covid problem, two years of sitting in the drive doing nothing. The solar panels/regulator/leisure batteries are now playing up which is the latest expression of the same thing.

Thanks to all for your help

David