Fraudsters use Covid lockdown to scam motorhome buyers

Martin I’ve been a friend of Jacks for about 5 years and have spoken with him at various times on how best he could try to get his voice heard.

About 3/4 years ago Jack changed from just alerting people to scams and was looking for a better way to help people get their money back.

This he has always done for free. How he kept going - working at night as that was when most scams were put up.   He needed to get some money in. He did get some back and it was from that where the scambusters started to help. Many themselves scammed.  They have been brilliant to be honest. Jack found a better way to get money back but the hours of work is horrendous really spent on each one. He came across another guy doing something similar but working more I think on the commercial side of things. They have managed to hel each other. They have got stuff into papers and on Money Box and other TV Programmes.  Jack started to ask for a percentage IF he got their money back. All agree to it but sadly  a few who having got their money back don’t pay!!!

I have a lot of time for Jack and his unpaid team. But the level of scams is just absolutely absurd atm.

I see posts on various mh Facebook pages people asking about various mhs - always too cheap and worried it’s a scam.  It is a scam - do you know anyone selling their own Motorhome at half price or less?  Of course not - unless there is something wrong with it and they are honest.  So what is making it worse Is they have always used an escrow (false) account saying if you don’t like it when you see it you will get your money back. Only of course you cannot view now unless you happen to live close.  So it is a bit more plausible now

The thing Jack has always said DON’T SPEND ANY MONEY UNTIL YOU CAN TOUCH IT AND SEE IT AT PLACE WHERE IT IS REGISTERED

Carol

On Mon, 11 May 2020 at 07:39, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
Fraudsters use Covid lockdown to scam motorhome buyers
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/04/fraudsters-use-covid-lockdown-to-scam-motorhome-buyers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Carol  >” DON’T SPEND ANY MONEY UNTIL YOU CAN TOUCH IT AND SEE IT AT PLACE WHERE IT IS REGISTERED”

Good advice. Along with “If it looks too good to be true then it generally is.”

Martin

On 11 May 2020, at 09:00, Carol Weaver via groups.io <corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

Sad isn't it how there's always a few taking advantage of crisis or
emergency to scam and/or fool people.

Also, as I suspected, when campsites do reopen they're likely to be
booked solid. Not only will all us established regulars be in the
queue but there'll be these new van owners (if they haven't been
scammed!)

As that Guardian article said, camper vans have become attractive to
families who are looking for ways to safely take a summer break.
Understandably, the former package holiday crowds will want to get out
of the homes where they've been grounded for months - as well as us.

Guess good news for the past-years ailing UK holiday towns, but that
in turn could mean that with booming business there's less incentive
to cater for motorhomers.

On other hand, could lead to some savvy land owners taking advantage
of the camper boom to make money by providing pitches and some
amenities.

Campervan Tim

On Mon, 11 May 2020 at 07:39, Bennett Family <martin@hymer.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

Fraudsters use Covid lockdown to scam motorhome buyers

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/04/fraudsters-use-covid-lockdown-to-scam-motorhome-buyers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4