Filling Gaslow System

Mick Potter

I have a two cylinder Gaslow system with an automatic changeover valve.  The last few times I have filled it, the filling rate seemed very slow.  Today (in the UK), it started off OK (but I'm not sure of the exact fill rate), and then quickly slowed down to about 1litre per 40 seconds.  The system was not full, as filling slowed down at about £5, and continued until £19, when I gave up through boredom.

A couple of years back, I had a problem with LPG bought in Greece (I had to clean the fridge burner every few days!), and so I now use a sintered filter when filling.  Today the attendant came out to see what was wrong, and gave an opinion that the filter was causing the slow filling.  However, when I stopped filling, I checked the filter, and I could blow through it very easily, so I find it hard to believe that it was restricting the flow.

Is this normal?  What fill rate should I expect?  Or has something broken and I need to have the system looked at by a service engineer?

Any help gratefully received.

Mick

Clive Bailey

Sounds to me as though you  have a split fitting in the supply part of the system. Needs to be checked ASAP.
The chaps at Gaslow Leicester are very good. If you can get there.
At £5 that's half of one cylinder, but at £19 you were nearly empty, which was it?
Regards
Clive

On 23/07/2019 13:39, Mick Potter wrote:
[...]

Hi Clive,

Thanks for this. Leicester is a bit of a step, I'm in Hampshire, so I should think I'll look for someone more local.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'split' - I'm pretty sure there is no leak, I'd have noticed that amount of gas pouring out!

The system was close to empty, the switchover had moved from 'main' to 'reserve', and the gauge on the 'reserve' cylinder was about halfway down the green section, although I *think* this means it's less than half full.

Thanks again.

Bests

Mick

___________________
Please make sure that the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@.... Any others you may find are likely to be temporary and to disappear at a moment's notice. I should hate to miss anything you send me.

Bennett Family

I’m sure you’ve checked for kinks in the feeder hoses. If your filter is a screw on external one similar to the one I have, then ai would try filling up without it and see if that makes a difference.

Martin

On 23 Jul 2019, at 16:56, Mick Potter via Groups.Io <mickpotter@...> wrote:

[...]

pj_home

Could also be the filling station. We had one near us that took twice as long to fill as anywhere else.

Paul

On 23 Jul 2019, at 16:56, Mick Potter via Groups.Io <mickpotter=zepler.org@groups.io <mailto:mickpotter=zepler.org@groups.io>> wrote:

Hi Clive,

Thanks for this. Leicester is a bit of a step, I'm in Hampshire, so I should think I'll look for someone more local.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'split' - I'm pretty sure there is no leak, I'd have noticed that amount of gas pouring out!

The system was close to empty, the switchover had moved from 'main' to 'reserve', and the gauge on the 'reserve' cylinder was about halfway down the green section, although I *think* this means it's less than half full.

---
https://www.avg.com

Alan Morris

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 16:12, pj_home via Groups.Io
<paul.f.jackson=virgin.net@groups.io> wrote:

Could also be the filling station. We had one near us that took twice as
long to fill as anywhere else.
Like Paul, I've experienced this.

I don't have a filter on the input nor output hoses.

Alan.

Christopher Collins

Quick suggestion for you not knowing the system, but the filter isn’t in back to front is it?

Is it possible to put it in back to front?

Usually makes a difference with filling things.

Christopher

On 24 Jul 2019, at 1:55 am, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

[...]

Neill King \(MH-List\)

Do talk to Gaslow!  www.gaslowdirect.com  sales@...
I would expect them to help you trace the fault yourself and/or possibly to suggest a dealer local to you.

The system, including cylinders, fillhead & autochange, has non-return valves and problems there can restrict flow – in fact autochange is not used in systems for farriers because the flow is never high enough (although perfectly good for motorhomes when working correctly).

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information