Fiat park brake problem

Alan Morris

Our Hymer Exsis T578 Auto had it's first MOT today. It passed, but an
advisory is that the "nearside park brake slower in operation".

What is a slow brake?

What should I do?

Alan.

Derek Sims

Avoid too many handbrake turns?😉

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

On 24/06/2019 at 21:32, Alan Morris wrote:

Our Hymer Exsis T578 Auto had it's first MOT today. It passed, but an
advisory is that the "nearside park brake slower in operation".

What is a slow brake?

What should I do?

Alan.

Brian Reay

Having watched how they test cars (and having a MOT tester who is happy to explain things to a curious customer), the handbrake test is done with rollers normally, and they monitor a couple of indicators which show how effective the handbrake is on each side.  Is suspect, in your case, while both sides are reaching the required efficiency, the nearside one is a bit slow getting there.

My guess would be that something is binding, perhaps in the drum. I assume like most motorhomes, yours spends a lot of its life parked.

Regards
Brian

Alan Morris

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 12:54, Brian Reay via Groups.Io
<g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Having watched how they test cars (and having a MOT tester who is happy to explain things to a curious customer), the handbrake test is done with rollers normally, and they monitor a couple of indicators which show how effective the handbrake is on each side. Is suspect, in your case, while both sides are reaching the required efficiency, the nearside one is a bit slow getting there.

My guess would be that something is binding, perhaps in the drum. I assume like most motorhomes, yours spends a lot of its life parked.
I have the same problem which I posed on 24th June:-

"Our Hymer Exsis T578 Auto had it's first MOT today. It passed, but an
advisory is that the "nearside park brake slower in operation".

What is a slow brake?"

There was no response. I did not know how the test was done. As the
park brake is only used when stopped and driver probably still has a
foot on the foot brakes, I can't see any problem in it being slow!

I would guess that the pull from the hand brake handle would go
through a "Y" swivelling coupling to each wheel. Possibly this needs
lubrication. There would probably be one or more pulley-wheels that a
cable or rod would pass.

With only 2550 miles, I guess it's lack of use.

Alan.

Brian Reay

I'd not noticed how 'old' the post was!

The Y in the system is another option, depending on how it works. Some, as you say, have a bits which can bind etc, others are simpler.  I don't recall which the Ducato has.

The brakes on our trailer (we tow a Smart Car on it) then to bind if I forget and leave them on while it is parked up between trips over the winter. Usually a 'tap' with a mallet frees them.

Regards
Brian

Ronald V Sutton

My park brake also failed on one wheel on my Talbot Express/Peugeot J5/Citroen Relay. Not sure if the Fiat is the same, but the problem turned out to be the operating lever inside the drum and behind the rearmost brake shoe.
When I removed the drum, disconnected the park brake cable from the operating lever and removed the shoes, I found the lever was binding against the shoe rib. Working it back and forth plus cleaning off dirt helped a bit but the real problem was that the river securing it to the shoe was pressed too tightly. So I pressed the rivet end in a vice against a suitable sized spanner socket around the rivet head on the other side of the shoe rib, which freed it up nicely.
Sent from my mobile
07990 824162

Brian Reay

Ron, if I’ve followed your trick / technique correctly, I assume the theory is to force a bit of the head into the shank of the rivet, making it longer.

Regards
Brian

Ronald V Sutton

Yes, Making it longer, but pressing against the ‘nose’ (the narrower end)  of the rivet so that the head isn’t pressing hard against the rib.

Brian Reay

Thank you Ron, a neat trick to remember ;-)

Regards
Brian