Eye Tests & Driving Licences

Ernest Bull

A word of warning if you have eyesight problems.

The DVLA gave me good warning that my license was due to expire and being aware that the cataract in my left eye could be a problem, I tried to make an appt. for an eye test. Fat chance. Boots are are booked up until the end of October. ONOH, I’ve just been told that only SpecSavers have a DVLA approval to test drivers’ eyesight.
————

ErnB

David Scholes

Morning Ernie.
When I reached seventy and the DVLA tried to take my HGV off me I had to reapply and I had to take an eye test and other medical tests. BUT they explained that for a simple car licence you do not need to take any medical tests including eye tests unless they demand them which they only do if you have previously told them about such things. The answer therefore is not to volunteer such information. A doctor can certainly tell you that you should not drive which must also be obeyed but whatever else, for a car licence, don’t volunteer.
They took my HGV off me because they claimed that I had angina which has since been shown to have been a misdiagnosis but one cannot appeal such decisions after a very short time. Once they get you it is hard to get the off you.

David