Topics

End of ADAC Plus? - Replacement??

Neill King \(MH-List\)

Hi all you ADAC-ers, is there any consensus yet on the best/better replacements for ADAC Plus - for either just UK or for Europe?

Before ADAC we had a 5-person personal with RAC Arrival via CCC but that looks very expensive now especially for just 2 or 3 people. We never qualified for the ex civil service deal elsewhere.

I can say I’d like something more motorhome / touring specific that the ‘freebies’ include with bank accounts say. I’m also reluctant to tie breakdown cover to insurance, we’ve often found we wanted to go in different directions on those!

Any up to date news welcome!

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

Carol Weaver

Motorhome with Comfort with b/down. Car not and needs sorting

There’s a need for an ADAC like policy inUK

CAROL

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 13:01, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:

Hi all you ADAC-ers, is there any consensus yet on the best/better replacements for ADAC Plus - for either just UK or for Europe?

Before ADAC we had a 5-person personal with RAC Arrival via CCC but that looks very expensive now especially for just 2 or 3 people. We never qualified for the ex civil service deal elsewhere.

I can say I’d like something more motorhome / touring specific that the ‘freebies’ include with bank accounts say. I’m also reluctant to tie breakdown cover to insurance, we’ve often found we wanted to go in different directions on those!

Any up to date news welcome!

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

peter walker

Hi Neil,
I find that green flag is the cheapest through the c&MC.
Not had to use them in anger though.
Was rac arrival but got very expensive and last time I used them we were left stranded for around 12 hours.
Pete

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 12:33, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Motorhome with Comfort with b/down. Car not and needs sorting

There’s a need for an ADAC like policy inUK
Our motorhome is also insured with Comfort, but with the end of ADAC,
as SORN has no breakdown cover. The new car, with about 2 1/2 miles
since new on March 19th, has it's maker's cover.

As for a UK ADAC, the AA and RAC in their original form no longer
exist: only as names for different companies. Both having a poor
record for slow attendance when requested.

Alan.

Steve Pyke

Hi,

We have Comfort insurance including breakdown cover which is now run by DAS so who would come out if needed is anybody's guess. We haven't needed it so far.

For the car, once the maker's (Hyundai) five year cover ran out we used Start Rescue for about £40 a year, and cheaper through a cashback site, for UK only. They do short term EU cover. Only used them once for a flat battery - door not shut properly when car left for two days at a station. A local garage came out in half an hour so reasonable service we thought.
It's an insurance based scheme but we didn't have to pay and claim back like some.

(I've since bought one of those compact jump starter lithium battery packs. Not needed it yet but may do as neither vehicle has moved for three months!)

I believe CMC's Mayday service which used to be Green Flag only covered UK as they expect you to buy their Red Pennant package when going abroad.

Who owns what these days?

We aren't planning to go abroad this year.

Take care

Steve

Alan Morris

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 08:59, Steve Pyke via groups.io
<esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

(I've since bought one of those compact jump starter lithium battery packs. Not needed it yet but may do as neither vehicle has moved for three months!)
Steve it's possibly too late now but both vehicles starter batteries
are probably now useless, due to being discharged for too long.

You could attempt to recover them by charging them ASAP. Expect to
replace both batteries. I'm not sure how your compact jump start
system works, but I understand that they require a flat battery to be
in a reasonable condition. The jump device probably gives the starter
battery a fast boost so that it can provide some current to help in
starting.

Alan.

Neill King \(MH-List\)

It might be possible to recover damaged-by-flattening-batteries using a smart charger that has a 'recovery' function / mode - often some kind of pulse action.

[...]

Of note for drivers of pre-2007 vehicles; Green flag will not (no longer?) cover Europe for vehicles 16 years old on extra premium (or 11 years on standard premium).

Given the current situation any forward strategic planning about breakdown insurance ought maybe to cover 12 or more years so pretty much rules out the pre-2006/7 chassis.  Although not likely to affect many of the regular posters here - we do still get regular enquires here for bits for 80s-90s-00s vehicles so plainly of concern for some.

There’s also a potential catch under the section for motorhome limits where it says “Minibuses and transit size vans are specifically excluded from cover”.  That could mean that if your Ducato-Transit-Sprinter-Movano etc PVC  isn’t  listed as a ‘motorcaravan’ on the ‘V5’ you could run into difficulties. This V5 listing topic has been discussed here in the past.

Increasingly looks like we’ll go with a Comfort add-on and separate cover for the car which is likely to be UK only - but since it is mostly driven by Dilys and also with me being rather indisposed at times, it will need to cover almost all eventualities.

And ADAC did all this easily, even when sending out  the AA or RAC on their behalf.

What fun it is going to be now!

<corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

Same situation with us. Comfort plus breakdown and car still ok until March with ADAC but insurance not due until April. So May keep fingers crossed W that month and do it combined next year.