Topics

Electric scooters

Don Madge

I've noticed in the last few weeks that there are many more electric scooters about. We walk along the promenade at Littlehampton most days and scooters are being ridden by all age groups.

I spoke to one middle aged owner who claimed his scooter could do 25MPH, he was aware that they were illegal but  was not all that bothered.

It appears that they may be legal this year   See https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/gadget/electric-scooter-law-uk-3668712/

I can see they might be useful for the motorhomer but charging the battery might be a problem.. The owner I spoke to claimed his battery took 5 hours to become fully charged.
I might buy my great grandson one so I can have a go.
Stay safe
Don

timsinc Sinclair

Interesting, Don. Couple of years back I (foolishly?) invested in this
start-up biz in Singapore to make wide-tyre (good for pot holes)
electric scooters with suspension. So far, nothing come of it. The
easy-store in my small camper 2-wheel transport must have crashed into
oblivion.

I may yet be surprised that the (up to 35mph) scooter will arrive on
the doorstep. I'm resigned, however, to write off the outlay as a bad
investment.

Tim

On 18/05/2020, don.madge@gmail.com <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:
I've noticed in the last few weeks that there are many more electric
scooters about. We walk along the promenade at Littlehampton most days and
scooters are being ridden by all age groups.

I spoke to one middle aged owner who claimed his scooter could do 25MPH, he
was aware that they were illegal but was not all that bothered.

It appears that they may be legal this year See
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/gadget/electric-scooter-law-uk-3668712/

I can see they might be useful for the motorhomer but charging the battery
might be a problem.. The owner I spoke to claimed his battery took 5 hours
to become fully charged.
I might buy my great grandson one so I can have a go.
Stay safe
Don

Do you not get updates Tim?

Carol

On 18/05/2020, don.madge@... <don.madge@...> wrote:
> I've noticed in the last few weeks that there are many more electric
> scooters about. We walk along the promenade at Littlehampton most days and
> scooters are being ridden by all age groups.
>
> I spoke to one middle aged owner who claimed his scooter could do 25MPH, he
> was aware that they were illegal but  was not all that bothered.
>
> It appears that they may be legal this year   See
> https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/gadget/electric-scooter-law-uk-3668712/
>
> I can see they might be useful for the motorhomer but charging the battery
> might be a problem.. The owner I spoke to claimed his battery took 5 hours
> to become fully charged.
> I might buy my great grandson one so I can have a go.
> Stay safe
> Don

Did to start with Carol, but then dried up.
Tim

On 18/05/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you not get updates Tim?

Carol

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 18:47, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Brian Reay

Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.

Brian

timsinc Sinclair

Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io <g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.

Brian

David Scholes

But scooters are illegal and as far as I am concerned they should stay illegal and the police should enforce this and the courts have them destroyed because they are all DANGEROUS.
I carry an electric bike on the back of my MH and it is not dangerous though I am glad that the police/local authorities allow some riding on pavements because of volumes of traffic. Many of the bike lanes painted on the road are suicidal.

David

On 23 May 2020, at 16:45, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io <g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.

Brian

I noticed that Grant Shapps, Minister for Transport, on the Downing Street Press conference today mentioned using electric scooters and I shouted out that they are not legal. Maybe he knows something that the rest of us have not been told about yet. I notice that on his Twitter feed this has been mentioned as well.

If/when they become legal I fancy getting one. It was noticeable in Vienna last year that they were available to use just like the Boris bikes in London.

Peter S

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io wrote:
> Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
> bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.
>
> Brian

Good we can agree to disagree, David. All transport can be dangerous.
You - or car/van - could be on receiving end of a horse kick from
rider on country road. Watch out for a hang glider's emergency stall
on you, or your roof plus damage.

Sorry, but get so fed up with the h&s, pc mentality that tries to curb
actually living life to the full.

Tim

wrote:
Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec,
electric
bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.

Brian

They are legal but not in roads so paths and cycle ways I understand st present.

Carol

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 18:16, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
I noticed that Grant Shapps, Minister for Transport, on the Downing Street Press conference today mentioned using electric scooters and I shouted out that they are not legal. Maybe he knows something that the rest of us have not been told about yet. I notice that on his Twitter feed this has been mentioned as well.

If/when they become legal I fancy getting one. It was noticeable in Vienna last year that they were available to use just like the Boris bikes in London.

Peter S

On 23/05/2020 16:45:35, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io wrote:
> Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
> bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.
>
> Brian

No Carol, not legal apart from on private land.

From:-

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/gadget/electric-scooter-law-uk-3668712/

"It's interesting that in a survey conducted by BSB Solicitors only a quarter of Brits were able to correctly identify that electric scooters are illegal for use anywhere in the UK other than on private land, especially when you take into account that the market for them has never been bigger.

Electric scooters - kick-scooters that also build in a low-power motor - are classified as PLEVs, or Personal Light Electric Vehicles. They are not subject to taxes or registration, and as such cannot legally be used on the road in the UK, although this could be changing very soon.

From the BBC:-

"Riding an electric scooter on the road is forbidden in the UK at present. Nor are they allowed on the pavement. The only place they can be ridden is on private land, with the permission of the landowner. Riders currently face a £300 fixed-penalty notice and six points on their driving licence for using e-scooters.15 Jul 2019

From:-

https://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/community/2019/01/electric-scooters-adults-kids-legal/

"Can electric scooters be ridden in cycle lanes?

Unfortunately not. Because electric scooters are motorised but do not have pedals they are currently considered illegal for use on cycle lanes.

However, if you are riding an electric scooter in a cycle lane responsibly and with consideration for others we think it’s unlikely that the police would be concerned by this.

Can electric scooters be ridden on the road?

Electric scooters cannot be used on the road in the UK and we would advise against this. Motorists are not expecting to see you in and amongst traffic and you’ll be difficult to spot given your relative size. Because of the size of your wheels, they’re more likely to catch on drain covers and pot holes, which can suddenly skew your course or even cause you to fall over.

Can electric scooters be ridden on a pavement?

Because electric scooters are motorised you cannot use them on a pavement. This goes back to the UKs Highways Act of 1835 which prohibits any ‘carriage’ to be used on the pavement.

Peter S

On 23/05/2020 18:55:44, Carol W

Peter Stallwood:

eaver <corconx@...> wrote:

They are legal but not in roads so paths and cycle ways I understand st present.

Carol

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 18:16, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
I noticed that Grant Shapps, Minister for Transport, on the Downing Street Press conference today mentioned using electric scooters and I shouted out that they are not legal. Maybe he knows something that the rest of us have not been told about yet. I notice that on his Twitter feed this has been mentioned as well.

If/when they become legal I fancy getting one. It was noticeable in Vienna last year that they were available to use just like the Boris bikes in London.

Peter S

On 23/05/2020 16:45:35, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io wrote:
> Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
> bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.
>
> Brian

Oh. Thank you but looks like it might change

Carol

From:-

"It's interesting that in a survey conducted by BSB Solicitors only a quarter of Brits were able to correctly identify that electric scooters are illegal for use anywhere in the UK other than on private land, especially when you take into account that the market for them has never been bigger.

Electric scooters - kick-scooters that also build in a low-power motor - are classified as PLEVs, or Personal Light Electric Vehicles. They are not subject to taxes or registration, and as such cannot legally be used on the road in the UK, although this could be changing very soon.

From the BBC:-

From:-

From:-

"It's interesting that in a survey conducted by BSB Solicitors only a quarter of Brits were able to correctly identify that electric scooters are illegal for use anywhere in the UK other than on private land, especially when you take into account that the market for them has never been bigger.

Electric scooters - kick-scooters that also build in a low-power motor - are classified as PLEVs, or Personal Light Electric Vehicles. They are not subject to taxes or registration, and as such cannot legally be used on the road in the UK, although this could be changing very soon.

From the BBC:-

From:-

eaver <corconx@...> wrote:

They are legal but not in roads so paths and cycle ways I understand st present.

Carol

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 18:16, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
I noticed that Grant Shapps, Minister for Transport, on the Downing Street Press conference today mentioned using electric scooters and I shouted out that they are not legal. Maybe he knows something that the rest of us have not been told about yet. I notice that on his Twitter feed this has been mentioned as well.

If/when they become legal I fancy getting one. It was noticeable in Vienna last year that they were available to use just like the Boris bikes in London.

Peter S

On 23/05/2020 16:45:35, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io wrote:
> Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec, electric
> bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.
>
> Brian

Gee, late-with-everything (inc virus control) UK will catch on that
folk need to move around by whatever means - especially if it doesn't
involve polluting fuel. Sure there'll be countless bureaucratic
restrictions, not to mention even possible tax costs - like for
licence or registration.

On 23/05/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:
https://www.timeout.com/london/news/electric-scooters-could-soon-be-legal-to-help-social-distancing-in-london-052220

From:-

<https://go.redirectingat.com/?id=803X112721&xcust=06-3668712-11-0000000&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.techadvisor.co.uk%2Fbuying-advice%2Fgadget%2Felectric-scooter-law-uk-3668712%2F&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bsbsolicitors.co.uk%2Fblog%2Fe-scooters-law-uk%2F>
<https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/gadget/best-electric-scooters-3631238/>
are illegal for use anywhere in the UK other than on private land,
especially when you take into account that the market for them has never
been bigger.

Electric scooters - kick-scooters that also build in a low-power motor -
are classified as PLEVs, or Personal Light Electric Vehicles. They are
not
subject to taxes or registration, and as such cannot legally be used on
the
road in the UK, although this could be changing very soon.

From the BBC:-

"Riding an *electric scooter* on the road is forbidden in the *UK* at
present. Nor are they allowed on the pavement. The only place they can be
ridden is on private land, with the permission of the landowner. Riders
currently face a £300 fixed-*penalty* notice and six points on their
driving licence for using *e*-*scooters*.15 Jul 2019
How safe are electric scooters? - BBC News
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617>"

From:-

On 23/05/2020 16:45:35, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:
Brian, legailty of electric scooters in UK is (well, was) under
review. In most Euro countries (where we all spend a lot of time) they
are allowed. Plus lot less cumbersome and easier to store in a
campervan than a bike.

Tim

On 23/05/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io wrote:
Electric Scooters aren't legal but, subject to meeting the UK spec,
electric
bicycles are- should you fancy one of those.

Brian

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-7285041260620233145_m_-5531907594116426342_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

No doubt tax. Especially now with borrowing so much money

Carol

On 23/05/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Virus-free.
>>> www.avg.com
>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>>> <#m_-7285041260620233145_m_-5531907594116426342_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>>>
>>> --
>> --
>> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
>> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
>> https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;

There are thrills all over the place without trying some stupid dangerous thing like these powered scooters. Why not try one of the former little light weight fold up scooters. Legal for use on pavements. Light enough to carry uphill and scary fast downhill.
The current batch of powered machines are just another attempt by Americans to push an overpriced gadget on us. They will go the way of yo-yos and hooks hoops.
Get a bicycle either powered or not. Been around continuously for a couple of centuries or so and possibly the best transport device ever. Increase the speed of walking by four times for the same effort or go crazy and scare yourself witless.

David

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 17:16, Peter S <peter@stallwood.com> wrote:

I noticed that Grant Shapps, Minister for Transport, on the Downing Street Press conference today mentioned using electric scooters and I shouted out that they are not legal. Maybe he knows something that the rest of us have not been told about yet. I notice that on his Twitter feed this has been mentioned as well.
He probably thinks like BoJo, I will probably see this on the news
later. Opens mouth before knowing what he is talking about! Being
recorded, so that swift fast-forward can be used!

David wrote:-

But scooters are illegal and as far as I am concerned they should stay illegal and the police should enforce this and the courts have them destroyed because they are all DANGEROUS.
I'm with David in some respects as probably many their owners are
reckless and dangerous, just like the disability scooters. They are
all capable of being used too fast with no concern for pedestrians.
However, with speed limitations and strict legal enforcement, plus the
need for third-party insurance, they would be ideal for many. This
includes electric scooters AND disability scooters. Their speed limit
should be walking pace on footpaths and pavements.

Alan.

Brent

Hi Alan/Group Mobility scooters when used on pavements should only be in 4mph mode (if you have class 3 which is/should be ROAD legal) but depends who's sat on the seat!!!! Electricity can be dangerous - if grab hold of the wrong part!!!!!!
Best wishes and stay safe
Brent glorious sunny IoW

Ernest Bull

On 23 May 2020, at 21:33, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

 Sure there'll be countless bureaucratic restrictions, not to mention even possible tax costs -
like for licence or registration.

I was just walking back to my place past an old pub. The pavement was two people wide because of scaffolding. An oncoming e-scooter rider almost came a cropper avoiding me and another pedestrian who also chose not to give way. I reached home opened my laptop and up popped this link from the Bristol Live news feed: - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/man-fined-after-driving-e-4983704?

The key and very pertinent fact quoted, being: -
“E-scooters are classified as motor vehicles for the purposes of law. As such, if they are used on a road, pavement or public place, they are subject to the same legal requirements as any motor vehicle – i.e. you must have a driving licence and insurance."

"However, at the current time, it isn’t possible to get motor insurance to ride a private e-scooter, so ultimately they aren’t lawful for use anywhere other than on private land. "

Can’t argue with that. But the question, if the police do have the right to seize the scooters, is; What will they do with them. If they are not legal, then they have no value.
________

ErnB

Chris

Ern,

It is an interesting point, but provide they have 250w or less and limited top speed of 14mph then they would be just like electric bikes, which again don't need insurance or licenses.  However at least are on the road/cycle path and not going to run you down.

Yes, it is best if cyclists get insurance, but very few do as it goes against the view that cycling is a a cheap clean alternative.

Regards
Chris