Topics

EHU cable 1.5mm/2.5mm orange or blue?

Sandytrax

Do you have a great EHU cable that doesn't go inflexible after a short time?
I've had two 25m orange 2.5mm cables and both have been useless after a while.
I loathe using the cable I have and plan to change it for something better.
Other folks don't seem to have the same problem and many appear to be thinner and much more flexible.
And, of course, our EU friends tend to use thin, black, flexible cables on a reel.

I've done a lot of google research and discovered that 1.5mm orange cables are widely available and that may be a solution for me.
I've also discovered blue arctic grade cable but that's not so widely available.
I've seen various comments about British Standards and electrical loads etc.

I'm planning to buy this one from Towsure today:
https://www.towsure.com/caravan-extension-mains-lead-25-metre?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0-Lam__N5wIViZntCh3YTQMpEAQYASABEgL9lPD_BwE

Any thoughts would be gratefully welcome.
Cheers
Brian

Carol Weaver

We have had our blue cable ever since we have been motorhoming. 1990. Never had a problem always dried off as coiled and kept in a bag.

Carol

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 08:33, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
[...]

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Carol Weaver

As a PS. Duncan was a seaman so always coiled. You see cables in a proper mess thrown in a jumble in some vans.

Men and tools come to mind 😄

[...]

Wow! That’s great Carol. Thanks.
Would that be the thinner 1.5mm?

i’ve found one here:

Cheers
Brian

timsinc Sinclair

Brian, I have two - one blue (thin, flexible as you describe) 16m
long. One orange, thick and stiff after frosty nights, but it is only
10m long. Except for CMC sites that don't allow it, I connect the two
together if long length needed, which is rarely.

Some would say the blue one (like domestic extension thick) inadequate
but I never draw more than 1kw at a time anyway - no microwave,
dishwasher etc but do have 900watt kettle. Otherwise I'm charging
batteries, tablet, shaver, toothbrush etc.

My original orange 25m one in store. Hated its bulk, weight and brute
chore of unwinding and/or untangling it. So much lighter and easier
hook-ups now, plus I use the quick trade way of storing the cabes - ie
continuous, loose slip 'knots' that pull apart and unfold so easily
and NO tangles (plenty of u-tube clips demonstrating the technique). I
am lucky in that with opening my camper tailgate I can hang the looped
cables on hooks.

It's a bit like my hose for water filling. Have one of those
ever-so-light non-bulky expanding ones that with water pressure
extends to 70 feet. Not, I think, food grade but I only use on board
tank for loo flush, shower and washing up. Have separate 5litre bottle
for drinking.

Each to their own, of course.

TimS

On 13/02/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
[...]

Wouldn’t know tbh but it was a lot lighter than orange. We do have one of those too but rarely take it

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 08:43, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
Wow! That’s great Carol. Thanks.
Would that be the thinner 1.5mm?

i’ve found one here:

Cheers
Brian

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Richard

I highly recommend an extension lead sold by Lidl or Aldi abroad. The
lead is a reddish colour 1.5mm cored with a 2pin Continental plug on one
end and a 2 pin waterproof continental socket on the other.
I chopped the socket off mine together with 400 mm of cable. I fitted a
CEE17 blue plug to that and a CEE17 Blue socket to the end of the main lead.
I now have a  lead suitable for UK or Europe.
Richard

On 13/02/2020 08:33, Sandytrax wrote:
[...]

Neill King \(MH-List\)

There is also a dayglo-green site lead by Outwell and that’s 1.5mm, I don’t have any cold weather / long term experience of it but would be interested if others have?

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

[...]

Peter S

I used an orange cable I got with a ca..van many many years ago without any problem with stiffening in cold weather. When I got the present van nearly 3 years ago I thought, in honour of the occasion, I would use the new orange cable that came with the van. I carry a spare cable to act as an extension but that is rarely used.

The cable that gets regularly used gets wound on one of those orange/red Cable Tidies - under a tenner on Amazon - and this is then put into a waterproof bag. I have never wiped the cable when rewinding. Using the tidy means you can keep your hands clean and there are no tangles to untangle.

Peter S

On 13/02/2020 08:33:21, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:

[...]

Bennett Family

The best device for winding I had was a grey hard plastic Australian made winder. It was brilliant. Light, compact and easy to use - far better than the orange ones. It lasted about 15 years until one night in the dark I managed somehow to jam the cable and broke the device.
I bought it from CCC SHEFFIELD (now Go Outdoor) I can’t remember the maker’s name but would buy another if I saw one.

Martin

On 13 Feb 2020, at 11:20, Peter S via Groups.Io <peter@...> wrote:

[...]

My orange one has lasted 15 years and more. I had it when we had ca..vans and we bought our first motorhome about 17 years ago.

Peter S

[...]

Steve Pyke

Hi,

I have a 10 metre blue arctic cable bought from Screwfix that gets used most of the time. I have used it at CMC sites without any problems.

I also have a 25 metre orange thicker cable that gets used very occasionally and have joined them together a couple of times. I don't use a winder but loop them by hand using the natural "lay" of the cable - some loops forward and some back so you don't force any twists. As stated earlier there are several YouTube videos. The 25 metre one becomes a bit of a handful for the last few turns.

I use a wide velcro strap with a built in snap hook to hold them together and if wet pull them through one of those microfibre polishing gloves as I wind it up.

The continentals seem to use very long thin black cables on a drum and never unwind them as far as I have seen.

Who knew we could have such a long thread on a practical motorhome related topic??!!

Steve

Bennett Family

Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would seem to make sense.

Martin

On 14 Feb 2020, at 12:46, Steve Pyke via Groups.Io <esspyke@...> wrote:

[...]

Ernest Bull

On 14 Feb 2020, at 21:05, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?

None whatsoever, Martin. The bigger cable will only add to your payload.
_________

ErnB

Andy Clarke

1.5mm cable is OK for up to 3kW assuming an allowable voltage drop of 5% and that the cable is in free air, i.e. not on a reel or closely coiled.

Andy Clarke

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 21:05, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would seem to make sense.

Andy, Ern

Thanks.

Any idea of the weight difference for a 25m length of each? I doubt f it will be significant in the grand scheme of things.

Martin

On 15 Feb 2020, at 12:21, Andy Clarke via Groups.Io <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

1.5mm cable is OK for up to 3kW assuming an allowable voltage drop of 5% and that the cable is in free air, i.e. not on a reel or closely coiled.

Andy Clarke

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 21:05, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would seem to make sense.

Martin

Andy Clarke

25m of 1.5mm is approx 1.5kg lighter that 25m of 2.5mm

Andy Clarke
UKMotorhomes.net

On 15 Feb 2020, at 12:21, Andy Clarke via Groups.Io <andyclarke1050=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

1.5mm cable is OK for up to 3kW assuming an allowable voltage drop of 5% and that the cable is in free air, i.e. not on a reel or closely coiled.

Andy Clarke

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 21:05, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would seem to make sense.

Thanks - every little helps when limited to 3,500kg, but I think I should start by shedding quite a few kilos myself!

Martin

On 15/02/2020, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:
25m of 1.5mm is approx 1.5kg lighter that 25m of 2.5mm
... and a heck of a lot easier to man/woman-handle. Except for CMC
sites, two even shorter cables connecting if needed (but rarely)
definitely my preferred option.

Campervan Tim
in storm-free, sunny Spain

www.ukmotorhomes.net

wrote:

Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given that most
of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would seem to make
sense.

Sandytrax

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
My further research indicates that standard ehu cables commonly available on the market are orange 2.5mm. These meet the standards of the NCC and the CCC.

Also available but not so common are orange 1.5mm but these are not approved by the NCC.

I’ve hated using the two 2.5mm orange cables that I’ve owned because they have quickly become inflexible, tangled and hard to wind up.

So I’ve just bought a 25m orange 1.5 cable from Go Outdoors. It says on the pack that it’s not suitable for caravan sites and should not be used in wet or damp conditions!!
However, it is marketed as a Motorhome ehu on many websites.
So that’s a bit mysterious.

Go Outdoors Price is £30 but I found it for £22 on another website and with their price guarantee, they sold it to me for £20. Bargain!

I’m sure it will be fine.
And my heart won’t sink when I need to use a hook up.
Cheers
Brian