Ducato Instruments

Ernest Bull

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 16:41, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

My ~10yo 'van is based on a Fiat Ducato, like many others.  For obvious reasons, it hasn't been used much lately

I recently took it out after not using it for 4-5 weeks, just so that it got a run.  None of the instruments (speedo, rev counter, temp and fuel level) worked.  They were all stuck hard on zero.

The motors inside seize up.

No motors to seize up, Mick. They are, basically, electronically driven voltmeters or ammeters calibrated in MPH or RPM. Check out this link.

You are undoubtedly suffering from a blown fuse or a missing connection. Check the fuseboxes first. Possibly F38 and 53 in the dashboard box and F22 in the engine compartment. Other than that try the MH Forum;

Hope that helps!
___________

ErnB
Ex-Motorhomer (Hymer Tramp)

Mick Potter

Thanks Ern, but the fuses were OK. And the guy in the repair shop called them 'motors', a term I queried, and which he confirmed, so I guess that's the name used in the trade.

Bests

Mick

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:41, Ernest Bull
<ernb32@...> wrote:
[...]

M Stevenson

Bit odd they all 'seized' up at the same time.

Max

Ernest Bull

On 19 May 2020, at 11:24, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:

Bit odd they all 'seized' up at the same time.

And I still think that it could be a wiring problem. I had two similar problems on my ageing Tramp. Both caused by corroded earth connections.
————

On my 2015 Fiat Carthago you’d be lucky to notice if the speedo wasn’t working because it is so difficult to read. I use a Heads Up device.

Martin

On 19 May 2020, at 21:36, Ernest Bull via groups.io <ernb32@...> wrote:

 On 19 May 2020, at 11:24, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:

Bit odd they all 'seized' up at the same time.

And I still think that it could be a wiring problem. I had two similar problems on my ageing Tramp. Both caused by corroded earth connections.
————

ErnB

charliemorgan2004

Hi Ernest,
There is no way in my mind that all instrument motors would have failed or seized at the same time.  A couple of questions for you:-
(1) Has the starting battery discharged to the point you had to use jump leads of a jump start pack?
(2) if not this time of starting, had this happened on previous start attempts?

Ducato vehicles and the Peugeot/Citroen cousins all suffer badly from low battery voltage and consequent jump start attempts, where the software in various units can get corrupted.

My standing advice to all Ducato owners is “NEVER EVER, use jump leads or jump start packs, unless they are professional surge protected versions.  Instead, use a battery charger to progressively recharge the battery.

I am a mobile auto electrician and diagnostic guy, and I come across these kinds of faults constantly, so please take note.

You may well need to run a full all systems diagnostic to get to grips with this.

It may be worth disconnecting your start battery for an hour or so if your confident doing that?
disconnect just the earth cable as that’s usually the easiest one to get to

Hope that’s useful

Carol Weaver

Charlie if you read earlier posts Ernie was actually Offering advice

😊

Carol

On 20 May 2020, at 10:35, charliemorgan2004 via groups.io <charlie.morgan@...> wrote:

(1) Has the starting battery discharged to the point you had to use jump leads of a jump start pack?
(2) if not this time of starting, had this happened on previous start attempts?

Not my MH, Charlie. Just posing the questions - like you.
_______

ErnB
Ex-Motorhomer.

Mick Potter

Thanks for your comments all. This seems to have become needlessly complicated: I thought I was posting a simple piece of advice.

To sum up:

All the dials stopped working at once.

The fuses were OK.

The speedo started working (I hadn't mentioned this before).

I removed the instrument pod and cleaned the connector contacts.

No change.

I took the unit to be fixed. They told me that the 'motors' had seized, and that this is a common problem. It now works fine.

I conclude that it was a problem internal to the instrument pod, maybe 'motors', maybe something else. It is now fixed.

Before taking it to be fixed, I decided that, despite a lifetime career in electronics, I was not willing to take the risk of b#ggering it up at a cost of >£600, but to pay £125 to get it fixed.

End of story.

Bests

Mick