Topics

Car insurance renewal

Don Madge

Got our renewal quote from LV for our 19 plate Honda Jazz. It's up 38% on last year to £292. It was a lot more than we expected.
I got a quote from Go Compare with the same company (LV) which was only £9 cheaper. 

I also tried Direct Line £408 and NFU who refused to quote. 

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Don

Carol Weaver

Don I’ll give you the name we used or I used in April but I’m in bed at present.   Ours didn’t change much. But age is making a difference 

Carol

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 17:24, <don.madge@...> wrote:
Got our renewal quote from LV for our 19 plate Honda Jazz. It's up 38% on last year to £292. It was a lot more than we expected.
I got a quote from Go Compare with the same company (LV) which was only £9 cheaper. 

Don

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

David

Don, had same issue with LV earlier this year so followed the system laid out here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/#buying
and the insurance came in at about £150 cheaper with a decent provider (M&S). Might be worth a shot? It took me about an hour to visit all the sites recommended and squared it with myself by saying that it wasn't a bad rate of pay!

Andy Clarke

I shop around every year, LV had been ok for a couple of years and we still use them for the camper. 

For this year Age Co came out cheapest for the car. 

Andy Clarke 

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 17:24 , <don.madge@...> wrote:

Don

James Cheney

I had been with LV for a number of years but my premium shot up this year by 20%. On phoning they instantly gave me a small reduction but I ended up with Direct Line who were much cheaper for the same cover.

Jim

On 20 Jun 2020, at 17:24, don.madge@... wrote:

Don

Gill Chester

Our Sainsbury's quote for a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq was up 30%. My husband used GoCompare and found Halifax a bit cheaper than last year's Sainsbury's premium!
All crazy.
Cheers
Gill

PS. I very rarely post - if ever! - but I really appreciate the wisdom and knowledge of all you regular posters!

Sent from TypeApp

Don Madge

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 07:58 AM, Andy Clarke wrote:
I shop around every year, LV had been ok for a couple of years and we still use them for the camper. 

Andy Clarke 
Andy Age UK quoted £793.

Don

Don Madge

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:06 PM, Carol Weaver wrote:
Don I’ll give you the name we used or I used in April but I’m in bed at present.   Ours didn’t change much. But age is making a difference 

Carol

Thanks Carol I'll wait to hear from you.

Don

Andy Clarke

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 14:21, <don.madge@...> wrote:

Andy Clarke 
Andy Age UK quoted £793.

Don

That's a bit steep Don!

Ours was £174 for an old Ford Focus. 

Andy Clarke
www.ukmotorhomes.net,_._,

Don Madge

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 06:02 AM, David wrote:
Don, had same issue with LV earlier this year so followed the system laid out here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/#buying
and the insurance came in at about £150 cheaper with a decent provider (M&S). Might be worth a shot? It took me about an hour to visit all the sites recommended and squared it with myself by saying that it wasn't a bad rate of pay!
David took your advice and checked but LV came out cheapest each time but only £15/£20 cheaper than the quote I got direct from LV. Unless Carol comes up with something cheaper I'll stay with LV.
Don

Don Madge

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 02:34 PM, Andy Clarke wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 14:21, <don.madge@...> wrote:

Andy Clarke 
Andy Age UK quoted £793.

Don

That's a bit steep Don!

Ours was £174 for an old Ford Focus. 

Andy Clarke
www.ukmotorhomes.net,_._,

Andy its no fun growing old its also very expensive

Don

Gill Chester

Apologies, Hastings Direct! not Halifax
Gill

Sent from TypeApp

Carol Weaver

Don sorry had daughter visit. 

We usedSutton Winson. 020 8891 9818. Cost for our 2012 Jazz auto was £254

Duncan and I driving (77+74). Also free monthly payments

They’ve used Royal Sun Alliance

Carol

Don

--
--
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Carol Weaver

Also NCD and protected breakdown with RAC for UK and EU would be £71.19

Carol

Don

--
--

Alan Morris

Our Hymer quote from Comfort arrived yesterday. At £305.85 it's
£25.50 more than last year.

We have a premium that is based on "mileage bands". i.e. X miles per year.

Is this cumulative as in X plus X plus X giving a total of miles
driven or does it reset every year?

Thinking of having zero miles for next year if it's cumulative.

Alan.

Carol Weaver

Gill I’m sure you’ve got lots to offer. We don’t hopefully bite! 😊. 

Carol

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 12:51, Gill Chester via groups.io <gill.chester=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our Sainsbury's quote for a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq was up 30%. My husband used GoCompare and found Halifax a bit cheaper than last year's Sainsbury's premium!
All crazy.
Cheers
Gill

PS. I very rarely post - if ever! - but I really appreciate the wisdom and knowledge of all you regular posters!

Sent from TypeApp

--
--

charlie.green@...

No it is not cumulative, it resets each year.

If you pay for say 5000 miles and you drive 4000, then everything is fine. If you pay for 5000 miles and do 6000 miles in theory you will get surcharged for the extra 1000 miles, this happened to me. They give an allowance of 5% over your paid limit but as I say if you exceed this and they find out you will be surcharged. Why does this matter? Well if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident, whether your fault or not, you mileage will be checked as a part of the claim procedure, if you have driven more miles than you have paid for they will say the risk factor in insuring you is higher, hence a surcharge. It is always better to over estimate your annual mileage the underestimate.

If you own a second-hand van it will be up to you to prove you haven't exceeded your annual mileage if the previous users had been high mileage users. So MOT certificates or their modern equivalent will be needed as evidence.

Your premium has gone up 8.3%  even with inflation as low as it is, is it really that much of an increase?

Bennett Family

And if you don’t complete the mileage agreed then you get a discount on next year’s premium as there was less chance of you having an accident. . 

Or maybe not :)

Martin

On 22 Jun 2020, at 14:18, charlie.green@... wrote:

If you pay for say 5000 miles and you drive 4000, then everything is fine. If you pay for 5000 miles and do 6000 miles in theory you will get surcharged for the extra 1000 miles, this happened to me. They give an allowance of 5% over your paid limit but as I say if you exceed this and they find out you will be surcharged. Why does this matter? Well if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident, whether your fault or not, you mileage will be checked as a part of the claim procedure, if you have driven more miles than you have paid for they will say the risk factor in insuring you is higher, hence a surcharge. It is always better to over estimate your annual mileage the underestimate.

If you own a second-hand van it will be up to you to prove you haven't exceeded your annual mileage if the previous users had been high mileage users. So MOT certificates or their modern equivalent will be needed as evidence.

Your premium has gone up 8.3%  even with inflation as low as it is, is it really that much of an increase?

timsinc Sinclair

Insured as a full-timer with Comfort I have unlimited mileage. Then my
premium three times what have been quoted by some of you.

Interesting that Comfort doesn't have the no-claims discounts. But
they keep a record of proof of previous insurer's no-claim years
should you need it on switching again.

Camper Tim

On 22/06/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
And if you don’t complete the mileage agreed then you get a discount on next
year’s premium as there was less chance of you having an accident. .

Or maybe not :)

Martin

On 22 Jun 2020, at 14:18, charlie.green@... wrote:

If you pay for say 5000 miles and you drive 4000, then everything is fine.
If you pay for 5000 miles and do 6000 miles in theory you will get
surcharged for the extra 1000 miles, this happened to me. They give an
allowance of 5% over your paid limit but as I say if you exceed this and
they find out you will be surcharged. Why does this matter? Well if you
are unfortunate enough to have an accident, whether your fault or not, you
mileage will be checked as a part of the claim procedure, if you have
driven more miles than you have paid for they will say the risk factor in
insuring you is higher, hence a surcharge. It is always better to over
estimate your annual mileage the underestimate.

If you own a second-hand van it will be up to you to prove you haven't
exceeded your annual mileage if the previous users had been high mileage
users. So MOT certificates or their modern equivalent will be needed as
evidence.

Your premium has gone up 8.3% even with inflation as low as it is, is it
really that much of an increase?

--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*