Topics

Can I have a flipping moan? GARMIN

Carol Weaver

Around this time last year I bought a new Garmin 785 for the van. Still using the 765T in car

Well we all know what happened this year. I got it early to get used to it at home.

Now I’ve been in correspondence and telephone calls about this since 16/12/2019 almost a year

The problem adding POIs to it. Now this is my forth garmin so I’m used to using it. But after umpteen emails and calls finally I have in writing that you can only do it with a Windows computer

I’ve always had a Mac since having gps when you can add POIs

So that’s my rant as nothing online tells you. Personally I have don’t think they knew

So can anyone on here recommend one that I can use that works with a Mac?

Roy Coldrick

Carol
Just a thought. Could you not install one of the Windows emulators on the Mac - Parallels?

Roy

On 15 Dec 2020, at 08:06, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Around this time last year I bought a new Garmin 785 for the van. Still using the 765T in car

Well we all know what happened this year. I got it early to get used to it at home.

Now I’ve been in correspondence and telephone calls about this since 16/12/2019 almost a year

The problem adding POIs to it. Now this is my forth garmin so I’m used to using it. But after umpteen emails and calls finally I have in writing that you can only do it with a Windows computer

I’ve always had a Mac since having gps when you can add POIs

So that’s my rant as nothing online tells you. Personally I have don’t think they knew

So can anyone on here recommend one that I can use that works with a Mac?

M Stevenson

Use a Virtual machine running some version of stripped down windows. I use these to run any type of OS including mac on a version of Linux. In full screen mode you can't tell the difference. Can even network several of them together inside one PC simultaneously. Always handy when talking folks through problem solving on their PC's.

Quite handy for messing about with an OS, get it wrong, delete the containing folder, start on a fresh copy.

Bullet proof.

Finally, fitted a nice ABS handle to the rear of our sliding door. Can now quietly close it with one finger from inside. Convertors should fit these as standard. No more bending, twisting or annoying the neighbours.

Cheers
Max

Buff and Hugh

Can it really not be done on a Mac? The Garmin website has Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads  ... the page was updated September 2020. Perhaps this is compatible with your model?

Dave Burleigh

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020, 08:06 Carol Weaver, <corconx@...> wrote:
Around this time last year I bought a new Garmin 785 for the van. Still using the 765T in car

Well we all know what happened this year. I got it early to get used to it at home.

Now I’ve been in correspondence and telephone calls about this since 16/12/2019 almost a year

The problem adding POIs to it. Now this is my forth garmin so I’m used to using it. But after umpteen emails and calls finally I have in writing that you can only do it with a Windows computer

I’ve always had a Mac since having gps when you can add POIs

So that’s my rant as nothing online tells you. Personally I have don’t think they knew

So can anyone on here recommend one that I can use that works with a Mac?

Well thanks for your thoughts, but after 10 months of toing and froing with Garmin I have in writing by email that it doesn't work on Mac (I have since learned it should work, on Intel chips, but it didn't on my Mac for this model..). It does not say in specs that i can see that it doesn't work with the new M1 chip,

I have again since sending my first message, tried it all again on my new (yesterday I changed the new Air  M1 256gb to a 512Gb.....) Still doesn't work, so hence I now need to send it back for a replacement and buy another gps.

I would prefer a Garmin as I am used to them, but I suspect it will be the same problem.

Dave, your link was one I sent to Garmin two days ago as that is only bit I could find and it doesn't state that it won't work.

They have now emailed me to say ONLY works on WINDOWS machine for updating and any internal bits....

So end of line for that.....

Unless I buy software like Parallels as Roy suggested, but I purposely avoided that in 2010 and do not want to go that route now.  Boot Camp another way using Mac, but currently doesn't support this M1 chip!!!

Oh dear......

So which gps would anyone suggest??

Carol

Click here  For Motorhome Owners here is a link to photographs of aires, stellplatz, chateaux, wargraves, NT properties etc.

CLICK HERE  TO BEST ALLROUND PROVIDER PLUSNET

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 11:29, Buff and Hugh via groups.io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can it really not be done on a Mac? The Garmin website has Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads  ... the page was updated September 2020. Perhaps this is compatible with your model?

Carol Weaver

HI Max, do you mean a separate pc, or like boot camp?

Do you know of one working with this new chip. I only have laptop and iphone...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 11:07, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:
Use a Virtual machine running some version of stripped down windows. I use these to run any type of OS including mac on a version of Linux. In full screen mode you can't tell the difference. Can even network several of them together inside one PC simultaneously. Always handy when talking folks through problem solving on their PC's.

Quite handy for messing about with an OS, get it wrong, delete the containing folder, start on a fresh copy.

Bullet proof.

Finally, fitted a nice ABS handle to the rear of our sliding door. Can now quietly close it with one finger from inside. Convertors should fit these as standard. No more bending, twisting or annoying the neighbours.

Cheers
Max

David Scholes

Hi Carol

I had the same problem so I loaded BootCamp and then a copy of windows. I had to buy the windows copy, in my case  it was a copy meant for some other make of computer, off eBay, but it worked fine. The Microsoft updated it to windows 10.
I hate it and loading it was very fraught and took several days and several goes.
The only good thing about windows is that when you have to update the system you do not have to update all your programs. I used to have a lot of very powerful programs on my Mac, now I have none.
The windows does seem to work well enough and the various bits of Garmin software also work well enough but I have given up trying to get e.g. camper contact logo to appear on the map though the data is in there somewhere so I can set it to navigate to a site.
The TomTom 6000 is no better.

I have given up using either but I bought a holder/charger for my phone(iPhone 8+) and I use that for navigating in the van. The only problem is that the voice on the phone is female and I can barely hear it whereas I can have a male voice on the others.
I do still have my old TT720 which is perfect for my usage though the maps are now so far out of date as to be of limited use and the screen is very small.
I shall not buy another sat nav again.

Best of luck

David

On 15 Dec 2020, at 08:06, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Around this time last year I bought a new Garmin 785 for the van. Still using the 765T in car

Well we all know what happened this year. I got it early to get used to it at home.

Now I’ve been in correspondence and telephone calls about this since 16/12/2019 almost a year

The problem adding POIs to it. Now this is my forth garmin so I’m used to using it. But after umpteen emails and calls finally I have in writing that you can only do it with a Windows computer

I’ve always had a Mac since having gps when you can add POIs

So that’s my rant as nothing online tells you. Personally I have don’t think they knew

So can anyone on here recommend one that I can use that works with a Mac?

M Stevenson

Hi Carol,

Not sure if the new M1 chip supports alternatives at present.

Boot Camp is a form of dual boot, this means both/several operating systems are actually installed with the option to choose at boot up. It's a form of GRUB.

Virtual machines are not installed. They are simply contained in a folder. You then use software to open the machine as needed. eg. Parallels, VMware fusion or virtualbox.

With the exception of Virtualbox these are expensive for occasional use.

Virtualbox is free, but less likely to be updated to cope with the new mac hardware which is deliberately restrictive.

Dual boot has the advantage of running at full native speed, but takes up space.
However, mess it up and neither will boot.

Virtual machines are running inside the existing OS hence slower, but can be stored somewhere else on a network.
Unless one is using high end graphics or video editing the speed does not make much difference. Mess this up and you can simple uninstall/reinstall it. It's just a program. Keep the original folders of the VMs stored on a network drive, and work with a copy. If somehow it is wrecked, bin it and get a fresh copy.

Increasingly, companies are using virtual machines based on central servers, using dumb terminals in the workplace.

Cheers
Max

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/best-virtual-machine-software-3671133/

M Stevenson

PS.

Google,

"CodeWeavers Crossover for Mac"

Carol Weaver

Quick look - but it for an Intel chip and the M1 isn't one....

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 15:16, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:
PS.

Google,

"CodeWeavers Crossover for Mac"

Carol Weaver

This is A[pple's new M1 chip - silicon, I think, definitely not Intel, which it appears they work with, perhaps these guys who do this will soon get an update for this new chip.  I think I better cross my fingers hard.

I do appreciate this help,

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 14:58, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:
[...]

skevmd

Welcome to the selfish world of computer giants.
Lots of programs I want will only work on apple.rather than Windows. The same with phone apps that only work on apple or Android. I am afraid until we standardise OS then this will be a constant problem.
I assume they want you to buy their gear rather than anyone elses.
Mike

Carol Weaver

No currently Garmin as far as I can see didn't know about the problem with the 780 until I started bombarding them with calls and emails, now they have acknowledged that it no longer shows up as a drive in Finder, and that POI does not allow you to add them as only to computer....

However, I have this evening learned that Cross Over may well work, but I need 11.1 to try, which I only got notification of this afternoon

So I will download and install and then try.

I will let you know, as it is a way to use windows - which I have avoided for 10 years...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 16:52, skevmd via groups.io <skevmd=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Welcome to the selfish world of computer giants.
Lots of programs I want will only work on apple.rather than Windows. The same with phone apps that only work on apple or Android. I am afraid until we standardise OS then this will be a constant problem.
I assume they want you to buy their gear rather than anyone elses.
Mike

Elwyn

You could always just pick up a cheap second hand Windows Laptop and ONLY use it to support your SatNav and mapping planning stuff.

I've got a Windows XP Laptop (Thinkpad T23) I use for all my radio programming and older tech stuff like that.

£100 could pick you up something usable, but £150 is more reccomended to keep you out of lemon territory. I tend to get mine from known sources of gear.

I used to get from Flex Computers in Coventry, and they do Mail Order too. I think they're called something else like PCreuse or something now.

You keep the Mac for all the nice things you want to do then just for POIs and Map Planning and stuff you have the Windows machine ;)

I've had to suggest the same to a mate from work. He has a Snooper TruckNav. You can ONLY activate it with a Windows Computer. Which he doesn't have, so he had to consider sending his £700 device back.

He bought the computer instead. I suspect he'll soon end up on The Garmin Dezl 760 like me ;)

Elwyn
2e0ELW

Elwyn

Sorry to be replying in the wrong place.

But I just went to update my Garmin and was reminded its all on my Mac (2015 MacbookPro).

Garmin Basecamp, Garmin Map Manager, Garmin Map Install, Garmin Express, Garmin POI

Are you saying that these apps no longer work with the latest version of MacOS?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 because I've yet to complete a full backup before update.

Elwyn

Carol Weaver

Hi Elwyn

No I'm not saying that, I bought the new M1 laptop and it isn't an Intel chip, I think that could be the problem.

I also have the Camper 785 which doesn't show as a drive, and I was unable on 10.13.6 (the latest on my Imac I just sold) to update the POI's - it doesn't recognise it as a drive, and couldn't update the gps.....

However, last night through help I have been in contact with Code Weavers, who have sent me a link, to try.  It sort of does a boot camp, (which Apple has not yet got it on the M1 chip)

So as long as you don't have this gps you may well be ok.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 11:57, Elwyn <webforum.emails@...> wrote:
Sorry to be replying in the wrong place.

But I just went to update my Garmin and was reminded its all on my Mac
(2015 MacbookPro).

Garmin Basecamp, Garmin Map Manager, Garmin Map Install, Garmin Express,
Garmin POI

Are you saying that these apps no longer work with the latest version of
MacOS?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 because I've yet to complete a full backup
before update.

Elwyn

Elwyn

Ahh, I see. Thanks

So far it all still works with my MBP but clearly you have new hardware ;)

Good Luck for your task. I don't think I can afford an upgrade just yet.

I've used Parallel images for a Windows install for various stuff, but over time it just slowed my Mac down. Some part of the system kept using *a lot* of resources for no reason, even when not running.

I've seen the new Garmin tech and I might consider them if they give more detail for UK mapping off and on road, otherwise I shall stay where I am.

But it is certainly something to be aware of when upgrading.

Elwyn

Carol Weaver

Re your last comment - certainly!!  It had no information about my problems to come and it’s taken so long to get them to admit it

I will try to install this link I’ve been sent and will let you know if it works with M1 and Camper 785 (the 780 doesn’t have built in dash cam that’s only difference)

Carol

Sorry to others as a wee bit off topic except it is to do with GPS which I think we all do use

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 09:23, Elwyn <webforum.emails@...> wrote:
Ahh, I see. Thanks

So far it all still works with my MBP but clearly you have new hardware ;)

Good Luck for your task. I don't think I can afford an upgrade just yet.

I've used Parallel images for a Windows install for various stuff, but
over time it just slowed my Mac down. Some part of the system kept using
*a lot* of resources for no reason, even when not running.

I've seen the new Garmin tech and I might consider them if they give
more detail for UK mapping off and on road, otherwise I shall stay where
I am.

But it is certainly something to be aware of when upgrading.

Elwyn

Sadly having spent another afternoon trying, using the Code Weavers hasn't worked..  I have emailed them and explained the problems, and I would therefore not be buying the software, unless they get it working in the future.... Sad....

I have emailed my neighbour to see if she would allow me to put Garmin Express and POI Loader on to her laptop and try, It can be deleted afterwards, as buy the time I need it again, I will be able to install a new one....as they update it too often anyway.

Otherwise back to Garmin.