CAMpRA

timsinc Sinclair

A query that perhaps beer-buff Andy can answer. For my sins, I've had
several prompts on Facebook to join a group called CAMpRA. Whisky and
wine more my taste, Campaign for Real Ale o'night stops not hooked me,
already swamped by other camper postings.

However, friend told me that the guy running it is trying to put
pressure on various councils to allow parking for motorhomes. Anyone
know of what seems great - if to my my mind misnamed - cause? Or
joined?

Tim

Bennett Family

CAMpain for Real Aires = CAMpRA

Seems a good group that’s making progress with the decision makers.

Martin

On 3 Sep 2020, at 21:43, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

A query that perhaps beer-buff Andy can answer. For my sins, I've had
several prompts on Facebook to join a group called CAMpRA. Whisky and
wine more my taste, Campaign for Real Ale o'night stops not hooked me,
already swamped by other camper postings.

However, friend told me that the guy running it is trying to put
pressure on various councils to allow parking for motorhomes. Anyone
know of what seems great - if to my my mind misnamed - cause? Or
joined?

Tim

Carol Weaver

Our Andy Clark I believe is one behind it. Whether he was originator I’m uncertain but Andy has been trying his best since around 2002 to get this off the ground in one form or another

There have been some excellent letters written and some really good responses

Worth a look at Tim and to get behind and anyone else on here who uses Facebook

Carol

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 23:01, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
CAMpain for Real Aires = CAMpRA

Seems a good group that’s making progress with the decision makers.

Martin

On 3 Sep 2020, at 21:43, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

A query that perhaps beer-buff Andy can answer. For my sins, I've had
several prompts on Facebook to join a group called CAMpRA. Whisky and
wine more my taste, Campaign for Real Ale o'night stops not hooked me,
already swamped by other camper postings.

However, friend told me that the guy running it is trying to put
pressure on various councils to allow parking for motorhomes. Anyone
know of what seems great - if to my my mind misnamed - cause? Or
joined?

Tim

John Clemence

I think maybe Tim is confusing this worthwhile pressure group with "The Campaign For Real Ale"

John Clemence

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 22:11, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
[...]

Wasn't confused, more bemused that a m/h group would choose to play on
the acronym for the pure beer drinkers! Then if Andy is behind it, can
see why - clever putting just a lowercase p in the middle.

As if motorhomers would drink anyway!!!

Tim

On 3 Sep 2020, at 21:43, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

A query that perhaps beer-buff Andy can answer. For my sins, I've had
several prompts on Facebook to join a group called CAMpRA. Whisky and
wine more my taste, Campaign for Real Ale o'night stops not hooked me,
already swamped by other camper postings.

However, friend told me that the guy running it is trying to put
pressure on various councils to allow parking for motorhomes. Anyone
know of what seems great - if to my my mind misnamed - cause? Or
joined?

Tim

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Andy Clarke

I'm not the originator of CAMpRA - I joined the FB group soon after it was started a few months ago and was then invited to become a member of its 'Leadership Group'.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how fast it's grown, over 10,000 members now, and also at the amount of activity carried on by members and in the background by the Leadership.

Refreshing to see something actually being done, and hopefully reaping results.

It's still a fledgling organisation, a few things need to be tidied up and resolved on the organisational front but I can see it becoming a major force in the effort to get proper 'aires' established in the UK.

Andy Clarke

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 09:30, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Wasn't confused, more bemused that a m/h group would choose to play on
the acronym for the pure beer drinkers! Then if Andy is behind it, can
see why - clever putting just a lowercase p in the middle.

As if motorhomers would drink anyway!!!

malcolmbebb

I follow this group, although I'm not particularly active in it.
Its purpose is to engage with councils and others to combat the bad press that MHs get, and discuss ways forward to provide aires or similar MH facilities, including simply access to overnight parking, in a thoughtful and responsible manner.
It is appearing that once one gets away from the histrionics and nimbyism sometimes associated with MH parking, and begins to recognise and eventually contain the damage done by selfish or thoughtless elements of the MH world, it is quite possible to get a sensible and indeed helpful from many of the concerned bodies.
So their work is to be much commended, and I would suggest, for those who are on Facebook, to join the group and see what's happening. There are still those who join to complain, of course, (and this is discouraged) but there is much useful debate. And it's easy enough to leave the group if not to your taste.

Malcolm

Peter S

I follow the Facebook group as well. There does seem to be a growing realisation of the value of the motorhomer in the quarters that matter albeit still at a low level and CAMpRA are doing a sterling job.

Peter S

Sent from BlueMail

On 4 Sep 2020, at 10:31, "malcolmbebb via groups.io" <googlemail.com@groups.io target=_blank>malcolm.bebb=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Alan Morris

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 21:11, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Our Andy Clark I believe is one behind it.
As Carol knows, I'm anti fb, but I joined this one, but don't 'follow'
if that's the correct term.

Alan.

Brent

Hi all

So after reading Alan M's post  can one join/get involved with this group without being a "member" on FB please?
Never been a member and have no wish to join as you hear more bad press about FB than good!!!
I prefer to "stay safe in my own little bubble"!!!!
Would like to know more or get involved as we do actually have a "council" approved aire here on the Island. It's hard standing with beautiful sea views, toilet and fresh running water!!
Problem is there are very selfish, rude, ignorant people. Mate of mine said he took his dog for a walk and this guy was setting up his caravan and stayed there for 3 weeks!!!!!! We only do 3 nights at most and usually just the Fri/Sat. Toilets do not allow chemicals as septic but I doubt everybody obeys that.
Right so that's me moaning/rant over I'll go and feed the dogs and do wife's breakfast now

Best wishes ALL stay safe

Andy Clarke

At the moment it's very much Facebook centered,  there is a website, www.campra.org.uk but it's pretty basic at the moment.

Andy Clarke

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 07:26 Brent, <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
[...]

I find FaceBook very useful - don’t believe all the adverse publicity - try it & see.

You can use it as much or as little as you please and there are some very useful resources there eg CAMpRA. The Carthago Owners’ Club section is a mine of useful information which is searchable.

Martin

On 5 Sep 2020, at 08:04, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

[...]

I understand Brent's view. I use Facebook, more I suppose out of
necessity as Martin and Andy indicate. But I don't like it. Trouble is
it's so popular it's turned into a nightmare of a giant with a
plethora of postings.

Guess one could join, not have any "friends" (in FB terms) and only
"like" or join one group (say CAMpRA). Maybe that'd cut down what you
actually see (on what's called your "newsfeed"). Wouldn't stop the
ads, though, what FB call "sponsored" postings. And likely they'll
reflect what you search for on, say, Amazon - privacy settings there
may control that.

How many times you see "We use cookies" and just click accept to get on with it?

Tim

On 05/09/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io

www.ukmotorhomes.net

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 07:26 Brent, <brentiow.c@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Roy Coldrick

My wife, Wendy, joined FB with the thoughts of keeping up to date with friend’s news Etc, and decided not to post anything herself nor accept friends. After a couple of weeks she had a message from FB to say her account had been closed as she wasn’t sticking to FB rules. We don’t know what those rules were but perhaps just joining as a viewer is not allowed.

Roy Coldrick
HOME 01989 566511
MOBILE   07479 082492
W3W  promise.resists.foreheads

<martin.bennett47@...> wrote:
[...]

charlie.green@...

Roy,

Yes you can join FB as a viewer for in many ways that is what the whole system is about, there are no rules that say you have to post anything.

As an aside, I know we are all friends here and most of us wouldn't dream of doing anything untoward with it, but that is an awful lot of information you have posted in your reply. Phone number and pretty much your address,  you seem to have missed out your Bank details though :-)

Roy Coldrick

Yes I do understand - bank details to follow

Roy Coldrick

On 5 Sep 2020, at 15:34, charlie.green@... wrote:

Roy,

Yes you can join FB as a viewer for in many ways that is what the whole system is about, there are no rules that say you have to post anything.

As an aside, I know we are all friends here and most of us wouldn't dream of doing anything untoward with it, but that is an awful lot of information you have posted in your reply. Phone number and pretty much your address,  you seem to have missed out your Bank details though :-)

Don Madge

We find facebook very useful, we have two children, four grand children and six great grand children. its the only way we can keep up with them all.
 Safe travelling.
Don

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 08:57, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John Potts

Hi Brent,
I have just joined and I am not on FB which I am careful to avoid. Hope that's helpful.
Regards
John

[...]

Hi John
Thanks for reply.
Just had a look but couldn't see anywhere to join. How did you manage please?
The front page said "site is under construction"!!?
Stay safe
Brent

Andy Clarke

For anyone who wants to assist with the aims of CAMpRA there's a survey to gather information on motorhome usage. This will hopefully provide some actual data that can be used when putting the case for the creation of aries: https://campra.org.uk/survey/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=181241

Andy Clarke