Topics

Camping under covid

Steve Pyke

Hi,
We decided to set off to North Yorkshire and had booked a while ago at a couple of CMC sites.

Arrived on Monday at the first one - met by the warden who came out to the van so had to wind down window to speak no mask! No three mobile signal to book in so I had to go in office. Cost was £130 for 4nights ( ouch!!) so no contactless offered. Nice perspex screen on desk and able to choose our pitch but had to go back to office to collect barrier fob and wristbands for amenities,only three people at a time. We had no intention of using them being fully self-contained but we can't believe the number of caravanners mostly older generation with super new vans trolling off to the loos and showers all day long. No hand sanitizer at service points but we have all our own gear.

Weather is rubbish but we're off to Barnard Castle site next - hope to get our eyes tested!!

Take care
Steve

Bennett Family

Steve,

So much for the information that’s sent with the booking!

I think the answer is to do what you think is the safest method whether others do or not.

I’ve not had any problems paying contactless on CMC sites in the past.

A few companies seem to set their own limit, but having once bought a £10k car on contactless there shouldn’t be a problem.

Martin

On 9 Jul 2020, at 19:07, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

We are currently at Salisbury CCC and what I don’t like is having paid a deposit on day of arrival the rest of the money is just taken from your account. No option to use your voucher!!  Still waiting since 29/6 for an email reply from them.

They ride in front of you to a pitch end of. No showers etc but I knew that and we don’t use them.

A lot here now

Carol

On 9 Jul 2020, at 19:07, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Very interesting to read of your experience, Steve, as I'm hoping to
head off from my 100-day garden pitch soon. Would have today's VAT
reduction, I wonder, made a difference to the 'ouch' fees? So I
gather you had to have £130 in readies to pay, if no card facility?
Ouch again. Not to mention handing over bits of possible contaminated
paper.

Tim

PS, B-castle my old stamping ground even before I needed varifocals.
Used to work in Darlington.

On 09/07/2020, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 18:06, Steve Pyke via groups.io
<esspyke=lineone.net@groups.io> wrote:

Arrived on Monday at the first one - met by the warden who came out to the van so had to wind down window to speak no mask! No three mobile signal to book in so I had to go in office. Cost was £130 for 4nights ( ouch!!) so no contactless offered. Nice perspex screen on desk and able to choose our pitch but had to go back to office to collect barrier fob and wristbands for amenities,only three people at a time. We had no intention of using them being fully self-contained but we can't believe the number of caravanners mostly older generation with super new vans trolling off to the loos and showers all day long. No hand sanitizer at service points but we have all our own gear.
Much as I expected Steve, so won't be in a hurry removing the SORN.
Our Hymer is newish and I know why they don't use the MH shower as
their design is so poor. (I've previously commented on this problem.)

Better to stay at home alive then catch the virus.

Alan.

Richard

This mail has reminded me why we always holiday in our van abroad! I could stay in my favourite site in France for twelve nights at that rate.
Richard

On 09/07/2020 19:06, Steve Pyke via groups.io wrote:
[...]

John Clemence

Hi Richard,
Can you share the location of your favourite site or would you rather keep it relatively undiscovered?
Like you we enjoy France but the aires we have traditionally used are getting so busy one often needs to arrive in the morning in order to find a parking place.
So we are now considering sites and to that end, if anyone can suggest a good one, we don't need a clubhouse and we use our own facilities. We usually concentrate on Brittany and Western France.
Regards,
John.

[...]

James Cheney

Alan, if you can't use your shower because of the design, maybe you just bought the wrong MH for your purposes? I stay on farm sites, aires and THSs a lot, my shower is great because I knew I would use it and therefore chose appropriately - and it is not huge, it is a 6.4m Frankia.

Jim