From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of
Ernest Bull
Sent: 25 February 2021 17:55
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] Binoculars

Essential motorhoming kit, I always thought. I always had a pair on hand,
but are you like I me? A spectacle wearer. The nearsighted and those, like
me, with a squint finish up, as I did, using just one eye to try and make
sense of things in the far distance. Well, my Margaret found the solution.

Celestron NatureDX binoculars. Nearsighted and with a squint to boot, I can
focus on anything using both eyes. From my flat in Lawrence Hill, Bristol, I
can clearly see the detail of the TV mast in East Dundry - about 8 miles
away.

Pricey, but highly recommended and worth the money.
_______

ErnB

yorkcov

Is it the 8x42 Ernie ?

On 25 February 2021 17:54:42 GMT, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
Essential motorhoming kit, I always thought. I always had a pair on hand, but are you like I me? A spectacle wearer. The nearsighted and those, like me, with a squint finish up, as I did, using just one eye to try and make sense of things in the far distance. Well, my Margaret found the solution.

Celestron NatureDX binoculars. Nearsighted and with a squint to boot, I can focus on anything using both eyes. From my flat in Lawrence Hill, Bristol, I can clearly see the detail of the TV mast in East Dundry - about 8 miles away.

Pricey, but highly recommended and worth the money.
View/Reply Online (#102372): https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/message/102372
Group Owner: motorhome-list+owner@groups.io

Ernest Bull

On 26 Feb 2021, at 08:11, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...> wrote:

needing an upgrade too, what mag. did you opt FOR ?

Mine are 42ml x10, Mike. Margaret’s choice on the advice of the shop. Right on the limit for hand held over long distances. At 8 miles I almost needed a tripod. I don’t think that it’s a question of the magnification with these as with the crispness of the image, the depth of focus and the total lack of chromatic aberration or flaring. For things up to a few 100s of yards, the optics deliver a very impressive 3D image.

HTH

ErnB

James Cheney

I bought an Opticrom monocular, no stereo vision but being less than half the size makes it great for hiking and also takes up less room in the MH.

Jim

On 25 Feb 2021 17:54, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:

Essential motorhoming kit, I always thought. I always had a pair on hand, but are you like I me? A spectacle wearer. The nearsighted and those, like me, with a squint finish up, as I did, using just one eye to try and make sense of things in the far distance. Well, my Margaret found the solution.

Celestron NatureDX binoculars. Nearsighted and with a squint to boot, I can focus on anything using both eyes. From my flat in Lawrence Hill, Bristol, I can clearly see the detail of the TV mast in East Dundry - about 8 miles away.

Pricey, but highly recommended and worth the money.
_______

ErnB

Mike

Cheers, good bright image then 😉

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:32, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

Mine are 42ml x10, Mike. Margaret’s choice on the advice of the shop. Right on the limit for hand held over long distances. At 8 miles I almost needed a tripod. I don’t think that it’s a question of the magnification with these as with the crispness of the image, the depth of focus and the total lack of chromatic aberration or flaring. For things up to a few 100s of yards, the optics deliver a very impressive 3D image.
After Ern's posting I looked at a few reviews and have ordered from
Amazon a Celestron 71335 Nature DX 10x56 and a tripod adapter as I
have a camera tripod and mono-pod.

I chose the 10x56 being one step up on the 8x42.

Thanks Ern.

Interesting discussion (thanks Ern) about something of which I know
little. I have a pair of binoculars bought I think more than 20 years
ago - but too big and bulky for my minimalist living in a campervan.

I chose them for the wide angle viewing after finding that peering
through concentrated high mag ones could make me feel dizzy and
nauseous. I wonder if these days there are compact versions that'd
suit me. I understand little of these ?? x ?? figures bandied about.

TimS

On 26/02/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:32, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

Mine are 42ml x10, Mike. Margaret’s choice on the advice of the shop.
Right on the limit for hand held over long distances. At 8 miles I almost
needed a tripod. I don’t think that it’s a question of the magnification
with these as with the crispness of the image, the depth of focus and the
total lack of chromatic aberration or flaring. For things up to a few 100s
of yards, the optics deliver a very impressive 3D image.
After Ern's posting I looked at a few reviews and have ordered from
Amazon a Celestron 71335 Nature DX 10x56 and a tripod adapter as I
have a camera tripod and mono-pod.

I chose the 10x56 being one step up on the 8x42.

Thanks Ern.

David Scholes

Depends what you want them for Tim. A big number at the beginning means more magnification but also more image wobbling. A bigger number at the end means a brighter image so better at night. Hence bird watchers go for 8x32 whilst sailors go for 7 x50.
Best I ever tried were 7x42 made by Leica which cost a few grand. Hence my second hand Carl Zeus 8x32 (East German so cheapest) will continue to suit me. Excellent for reading signposts in the evening, not too heavy or wobbly.

David

On 26 Feb 2021, at 18:11, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Duncan still has his ex WW2 from his days at sea. Heavy though. We have a small pair we keep in motorhome

Carol

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 19:04, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Depends what you want them for Tim. A big number at the beginning means more magnification but also more image wobbling. A bigger number at the end means a brighter image so better at night. Hence bird watchers go for 8x32 whilst sailors go for 7 x50.
Best I ever tried were 7x42 made by Leica which cost a few grand. Hence my second hand Carl Zeus 8x32 (East German so cheapest) will continue to suit me. Excellent for reading signposts in the evening, not too heavy or wobbly.

David
> On 26 Feb 2021, at 18:11, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion (thanks Ern) about something of which I know
> little. I have a pair of binoculars bought I think more than 20 years
> ago - but too big and bulky for my minimalist living in a campervan.
>
> I chose them for the wide angle viewing after finding that peering
> through concentrated high mag ones could make me feel dizzy and
> nauseous. I wonder if these days there are compact versions that'd
> suit me. I understand little of these ?? x ?? figures bandied about.
>
> TimS
>
>> On 26/02/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:32, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mine are 42ml x10, Mike. Margaret’s choice on the advice of the shop.
>>> Right on the limit for hand held over long distances. At 8 miles I almost
>>> needed a tripod. I don’t think that it’s a question of the magnification
>>> with these as with the crispness of the image, the depth of focus and the
>>> total lack of chromatic aberration or flaring. For things up to a few 100s
>>> of yards, the optics deliver a very impressive 3D image.
>>
>> After Ern's posting I looked at a few reviews and have ordered from
>> Amazon a Celestron 71335 Nature DX 10x56 and a tripod adapter as I
>> have a camera tripod and mono-pod.
>>
>> I chose the 10x56 being one step up on the 8x42.
>>
>> Thanks Ern.
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> --
>
> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Ernest Bull

On 26 Feb 2021, at 19:04, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd@...> wrote:

Depends what you want them for Tim. A big number at the beginning means more magnification but also more image wobbling. A bigger number at the end means a brighter image so better at night. Hence bird watchers go for 8x32 whilst sailors go for 7 x50.

I suppose it all depends on whether your hobby is spotting the birds on the beach or those in the hedgerows.

I dug out my almost forgotten about Silver Crest tripod to steady mine, but it needs an adapter to mount things. I wonder where that went?

And thanks, Tim. I didn’t expect such a response, but thinking about it, maybe a break from worrying about the  pandemic.

For that we can only wait for the Countdown to Rolling Down the Lockdown.

Until then, take care. Stay safe! Wherever you are.
—————

I have this 1943 pair that I bought from a junk shop 40+ years ago. They are very clear but are heavy  and so I have a lighter smaller pair in the van (Olympus 8x21).

On 26 Feb 2021, at 19:19, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Duncan still has his ex WW2 from his days at sea. Heavy though. We have a small pair we keep in motorhome

Carol

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 19:04, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Depends what you want them for Tim. A big number at the beginning means more magnification but also more image wobbling. A bigger number at the end means a brighter image so better at night. Hence bird watchers go for 8x32 whilst sailors go for 7 x50.
Best I ever tried were 7x42 made by Leica which cost a few grand. Hence my second hand Carl Zeus 8x32 (East German so cheapest) will continue to suit me. Excellent for reading signposts in the evening, not too heavy or wobbly.

David
> On 26 Feb 2021, at 18:11, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion (thanks Ern) about something of which I know
> little. I have a pair of binoculars bought I think more than 20 years
> ago - but too big and bulky for my minimalist living in a campervan.
>
> I chose them for the wide angle viewing after finding that peering
> through concentrated high mag ones could make me feel dizzy and
> nauseous. I wonder if these days there are compact versions that'd
> suit me. I understand little of these ?? x ?? figures bandied about.
>
> TimS
>
>> On 26/02/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 09:32, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mine are 42ml x10, Mike. Margaret’s choice on the advice of the shop.
>>> Right on the limit for hand held over long distances. At 8 miles I almost
>>> needed a tripod. I don’t think that it’s a question of the magnification
>>> with these as with the crispness of the image, the depth of focus and the
>>> total lack of chromatic aberration or flaring. For things up to a few 100s
>>> of yards, the optics deliver a very impressive 3D image.
>>
>> After Ern's posting I looked at a few reviews and have ordered from
>> Amazon a Celestron 71335 Nature DX 10x56 and a tripod adapter as I
>> have a camera tripod and mono-pod.
>>
>> I chose the 10x56 being one step up on the 8x42.
>>
>> Thanks Ern.
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> --
>
> *It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Elwyn

On 26/02/2021 09:08, yorkcov wrote:
Is it the 8x42 Ernie ?
Are you planning on getting a pair then Alan? Or do you have a pair already ;)

Cheers

Elwyn

Elwyn

On 27/02/2021 11:42, Ernest Bull wrote:
On 26 Feb 2021, at 19:04, David Scholes via groups.io <http://groups.io> <scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io <mailto:scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io>> wrote:

Depends what you want them for Tim. A big number at the beginning means more magnification but also more image wobbling. A bigger number at the end means a brighter image so better at night. Hence bird watchers go for 8x32 whilst sailors go for 7 x50.
I suppose it all depends on whether your hobby is spotting the birds on the beach or those in the hedgerows.
I dug out my almost forgotten about Silver Crest tripod to steady mine, but it needs an adapter to mount things. I wonder where that went?
It might be worth doing some looking around as you might find something suitable on Ebay. I use a Manfrotto tripod so the replacement adapter are plentiful, albeit pricey.

For a previous pair of binoculars, the mount point was at the front where the hinge was between the two glass tubes; a friend made a right angle bracket for me for those to fit to my then binos but they were a cheaper pair.
And thanks, Tim. I didn’t expect such a response, but thinking about it, maybe a break from worrying about the  pandemic.
For that we can only wait for the Countdown to Rolling Down the Lockdown.
Until then, take care. Stay safe! Wherever you are.
—————
ErnB

Indeed. Soon be over hopefully.

Cheers, Elwyn

Alan Morris

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 12:06, Elwyn <webforum.emails@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you planning on getting a pair then Alan? Or do you have a pair
already ;)
I had written:-

After Ern's posting I looked at a few reviews and have ordered from
Amazon a Celestron 71335 Nature DX 10x56 and a tripod adapter as I
have a camera tripod and mono-pod.

I chose the 10x56 being one step up on the 8x42.
Due for delivery (FoC) on Monday but arrived yesterday.

They are very good.

I have a Manfrotto tripod and monopod, both with a Calumet
Quick-Release. I fitted a spare onto the adapter and it also works
OK, but floppy from side to side. Maybe I need to tighten the screw.

Alan.

Elwyn

On 28/02/2021 17:44, Alan Morris wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 12:06, Elwyn <webforum.emails@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you planning on getting a pair then Alan? Or do you have a pair
already ;)
LOL. I had replied to the 'other Alan' ;)

But not to worry, thanks for the update.

Cheers

Elwyn