A couple of times we’ve headed over the hills from there to Venice - an enjoyable drive. Other times, way back, we went through Austria. Into Yugoslavia and down the Adriatic coast. I wouldn’t be able to resist this if I was in Austria with some spare time.

Have fun.

Martin

On 14 Feb 2019, at 12:47, Peter S via Groups.Io <pstallwood@...> wrote:

Thanks, Carol.

I will investigate.

Peter S

From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Weaver
Sent: 14 February 2019 12:24
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Translated from m y NEWSLETTER from Caravan Salon Club

So long ago we went and it wasn’t in a Motorhome but I think I know a link that will help

They go via Austria.  Peter if you follow this couple

https://motoroaming.com who are full timing. They are great and do these interactive guides and books. All free. They are on Facebook to Myles and Karen.

Carol

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 14:53, Peter S via Groups.Io <pstallwood=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

We are thinking of going to Austria this year - any advice and suggestions as to where to go would be welcome

Whilst investigating I have found that you no longer need to stick a vignette on your windscreen as you can now get a digital one:-

Obviously might be more convenient but only applies to 3500kg and under.

Peter S

On 13/02/2019 10:25:36, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

For your information:
Since 1 February 2018 annual vignettes no longer valid!

Vignettes 2019 © ADAC Media and Travel GmbH

Severe penalties for missing or invalid vignette

Who travels a lot in the neighboring countries Austria, Switzerland and the Czech Republic or Slovenia, but still has no new annual vignette should hurry, because the new 2019er versions will only be accepted from 1 February.

Who can not have a valid vignette or she has not properly attached to the windshield, must expect some drastic fines. The most expensive is in Slovenia, where up to 500 euros threatening. In Austria such offenses toll cost from 120 euros - for unauthorized manipulation of the vignette the substitute toll is twice. In Switzerland, around 180 euros plus vignette costs and the Czech Republic are penalties of 200 euros due.

In Austria in 2019 have increased the tolls. The new price for car annual toll sticker is 89,20 Euro (+ 1,90 €) 26,80 € for two months (+ 60 cents), and the 10-day Stickers Displaying now costs 9.20 euros (+ 20 Cent). In Switzerland, the annual sticker for drivers from Germany due to the exchange rate of 75 cents was more expensive and costs since October 36,50 Euro.

In Slovenia, the prices are still very stable: For one year car toll 110 euros are due for a month for 30 euros and 15 euros for seven days. The cost of the toll in the Czech Republic amounted to EUR 59.50 years Vignette (- 50 cents), 17.50 euros for a month (- 50 cents) and for 10 days unchanged 12.50 euros.

Annual vignettes and also the associated short versions are available in all ADAC offices and online at www.adac-shop.de and by calling 0 800 5 10 11 12 (Monday to Saturday from 8 to 20 pm).

Click here  For Motorhome Owners mainly, but here is a link to my photographs of aires, stellplatz, chateaux, wargraves, NT properties etc.  Please enjoy them

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

David Scholes

On one occasion we were going to Italy mainly to buy a melodeon from somewhere near Ancona. Never having been there I had no idea what route to take. The Mont Blanc Tunnel seemed very expensive. The Grand St Bernard meant going through Switzerland which meant a vignette at 40 euros so we went through Austria. I didn’t realise that we needed a vignette for Austria as well so we didn’t have one. The intention was to stay at a sight near Innsbruck but we got there and drove and drove but we never found any site, just road ups which we went round again and again. Eventually, in desperation we took a road out heading for a last chance sire at the top of the Brenner pass, in the road not the motorway. About half way up signs informed us that the pass was shut, not because of snow or the like, it was high summer anywAy, but just shut so we turned onto the motorway. Somewhere near the top there was a services. There was not much space but we squeezed between the fridge trucks and stayed the night. There was some kind of building so I went in and it was a kind of cafe where I bought some grilled pork and took it back to the van where we devoured it.
Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites. Absolutely beautiful. After this we arrived at a turn off for Lake Como so we took it. I suppose it was nice enough. We went down the lake on the west side. There were a lot of tunnels and a whole lot of coaches. All the coaches needed more than half of the road and they didn’t like slowing down. Since then I hate all tunnels and loath coach drivers. Having finally got out at the bottom of the lake i vowed never to go near it again and headed south.
We came back over the Little St Bernard pass but that is another story.

David

On 14 Feb 2019, at 13:46, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

Peter,

In years gone by we’ve stayed a couple of times at campsites near Salzburg - worth a visit and I don’t normally like cities.

Not too far from there, we’ve also stayed near Bad Ischl which is a very pleasant small town - we deal with a company based there. When there we stayed at the campsite at the end of the lake at Fuschl-am-See. A good quiet site with bar that served food.

[...]

My wife has just informed me that it was Lake Garda

David

On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

[...]

Bennett Family

David>Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

I think that run down the Brenner to Lake Garda produced the best fuel consumption figures that I ever achieved in a Hymer. Downhill all the way - don’t think I touched the accelerator.

Martin

On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes <scholesd@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

Bennett Family

Last time we did the downhill to Lake Garda we pulled onto a campsite to be followed by 20 or so bikers. We were a little apprehensive until they dismounted and removed their helmets - they were all older than me!

Martin

On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:43, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

[...]

We went to the Italian Lakes last year. I was originally going to go through the tunnel but then saw the cost of going through - a return trip was more reasonable but only if you were coming back within a short time. Decided to go via the Simplon. This gave me a chance to go back to a little Swiss village in the mountains I had been to when I was 15. We then went down to the Lakes and spent a very pleasant couple of weeks staying on the shores of  the 3 big ones plus Lake Orta. The roads are difficult in places but we avoided those where the guide books said that they were narrow and did enquire of other motorhomers what the roads were like. We never actually ran into any problems but did have to wait in a wider part of the road at one point whilst a coach got through a single track bit in one of the lakeside towns. Once we had parked up we used the boats to get us around.

We came back from Italy over the St Bernard Pass - stopped at the top to see the dogs - and then into France to Chamonix.

We stopped on a mixture of  "aires" and campsites and found the use of the ACSI card cut the cost of sites very considerably to a very reasonable level.

Peter S

On 14/02/2019 19:39:18, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

Not the time your brakes went then? 😳

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 20:09, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
David>Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

I think that run down the Brenner to Lake Garda produced the best fuel consumption figures that I ever achieved in a Hymer. Downhill all the way - don’t think I touched the accelerator.

Martin

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
>
> Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Peter S

Down the St Bernard was like that - on overrun nearly all the time - reading on consumption computer only goes up to 100mpg and it was like that for miles.

Peter S

On 14/02/2019 20:09:04, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

David>Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

I think that run down the Brenner to Lake Garda produced the best fuel consumption figures that I ever achieved in a Hymer. Downhill all the way - don’t think I touched the accelerator.

Martin

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes wrote:
>
> Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

---
https://www.avg.com

Peter S

The only worry I had was overheating on long climbs. I kept an eye on the temp gauge and it stayed steady. I had no idea what the temperature was on normal roads at that point so didn't know if we were running hot. Turned out that the temperature shown was quite normal for when the engine was warmed up.

We did meet a chap on Lake Maggiore in a Rapido who had to keep stopping to let his brakes cool. Also there was a Dutch chap there with a caravan whose brakes on the van had locked on from overheating.

Peter S

On 14/02/2019 20:36:58, Peter S via Groups.Io <pstallwood@...> wrote:

Down the St Bernard was like that - on overrun nearly all the time - reading on consumption computer only goes up to 100mpg and it was like that for miles.

Peter S

On 14/02/2019 20:09:04, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

David>Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

I think that run down the Brenner to Lake Garda produced the best fuel consumption figures that I ever achieved in a Hymer. Downhill all the way - don’t think I touched the accelerator.

Martin

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes wrote:
>
> Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

---
https://www.avg.com

No - brake failure was in Andorra, following being snowed in, a faulty glow plug  and having to buy chains plus winter clothes after kids assured me we had time for an afternoon skiing on our way to Christmas in the sun near Bendorm. “You’ll enjoy it” they said!

Martin

On 14 Feb 2019, at 20:36, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

Not the time your brakes went then? 😳

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 20:09, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:
David>Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

I think that run down the Brenner to Lake Garda produced the best fuel consumption figures that I ever achieved in a Hymer. Downhill all the way - don’t think I touched the accelerator.

Martin

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
>
> Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites.

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

timsinc Sinclair

On 14/02/2019, Peter S via Groups.Io
<pstallwood=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

We did meet a chap on Lake Maggiore in a Rapido who had to keep stopping to
let his brakes cool. Also there was a Dutch chap there with a caravan whose
brakes on the van had locked on from overheating.
Cannot understand that. Keeping in low gear saves the brakes.

TimS

Andy Clarke

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 21:55, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
On 14/02/2019, Peter S via Groups.Io
<pstallwood=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

> We did meet a chap on Lake Maggiore in a Rapido who had to keep stopping to
> let his brakes cool. Also there was a Dutch chap there with a caravan whose
> brakes on the van had locked on from overheating.

Cannot understand that. Keeping in low gear saves the brakes.

TimS

To a certain extent, yes. On both our previous motorhomes (Merc 7.5t) I needed to use  brakes on steep descents, even in low gear, to prevent the engine over-reving. Cooked the brakes on the Vario in Morocco several yeas ago. the 814DA 4x4 was slightly better as it had an exhaust brake - still needed to use the brakes as well on occasion though.

Andy Clarke

Derek Sims

Hi all

Just come upon this in my Inbox and remember now why I saved it.

During our first continental motorhoming trip, in 2005, we met a lovely Frenchman in an early Esterel in which he’d done about 150,000 miles. He told us that because he did a lot of alpine driving he’d had an electromagnetic braking system fitted to the rear of his ‘van - can’t remember if he was front or rear wheel drive, as some of the earliest Esterels were Fiat based.

He said the system worked beautifully to retard him on steep slopes and he never suffered brake fade or overheated brakes or clutch wear. Would this be like the regenerative braking systems fitted to some PSVs. I guess it could be arranged for some of the generated electricity to top up the leisure batteries?

I once had the unnerving experience of brake in 1979 going down the long hill into Combe Martin at the end of a hot journey back from Wokingham. This was in the days when brake fluids were (more?) hygroscopic and could absorb a great deal of water if not changed every 18 months. The water vaporised at the wheel cylinders after the long descent and I lost all braking. Pumping only worsens the problem, Fortunately, I understood what was going on and managed to slow with the handbrake for the last turn before the longest village Main Street in England. Luckily it was a quiet Sunday evening so I wasn’t forced to play skittles. I cruised to a halt and sat trembling until the brakes returned to normal. I haven’t missed a brake fluid change since. The thought of that potentially happening with a fully laden MH on an alpine road is almost enough to make me restrict touring to the Netherlands. Almost ....bu not quite🙂.

Best wishes

Derek (in sunny at last Jersey)
Sent using the GMX mail app

www.ukmotorhomes.net