Anyone else stayed here before or after boarding the ferry/tunnel?

Nick

After a two week trip traveling through parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany we decided to spend our last day/night at the large parking spot in Bergues, less than 10 miles from Dunkirk. I don't think there are any facilities but it's free to park and can take 30--40 motorhomes. It's a very short walk into the very pleasent town that has cafes, Boulangeries and Fromagerie etc. We will be stopping there again in the future instead of our usual aire at Le Touquet which is pricing itself out of the market at €17.00 per night.

Nick.

timsinc Sinclair

Good tip, Nick.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 11:46, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

> After a two week trip traveling through parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany we decided to spend our last day/night at the large parking spot in Bergues, less than 10 miles from Dunkirk

Thanks Nick any idea of lat/long or road numbers.

image.png

It’s on S4S

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 17:44, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 11:46, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

> After a two week trip traveling through parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany we decided to spend our last day/night at the large parking spot in Bergues, less than 10 miles from Dunkirk

Thanks Nick any idea of lat/long or road numbers.

image.png

Alan.

Attachments:

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommended

Buff and Hugh

If you follow the Google Maps link then type "aire de camping-car" in the Search box Google will show you. If you switch to satellite view it is then obvious.

It was very straightforward when we visited last year. As Nick says it's a short walk into a very pleasant town (a 2 star attraction in the Michelin green guide). There is an attractive mini-Bruges section where a canal runs through the northern part of the town.

Hugh

Buff and Hugh

John Fielding

From memory I recall that the track to approach the site was rough with numerous bombs to avoid and when raining, expect to slip a little. However, it is well used by different nationalities and really suitable for one night only

John Fielding

On 9 Aug 2019, at 17:44, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 11:46, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:

> After a two week trip traveling through parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany we decided to spend our last day/night at the large parking spot in Bergues, less than 10 miles from Dunkirk

Thanks Nick any idea of lat/long or road numbers.

Alan.

Attachments:

Alan Morris

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 17:55, Buff via Groups.Io <huffbuffforums=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

> If you follow the Google Maps link then type "aire de camping-car" in the Search box Google will show you. If you switch to satellite view it is then obvious.

Now using Google Earth, the co-ordinates:-

Aire de Camping-Car de Bergues

 50° 57.920'N             50.965333°

  2° 26.171'E                2.436183°

for those interested.

image.png

Alan.

Tim Atkinson

Great spot, we use it all the time when heading north from Calais/Dunquerque

Next to the canal in town there is an excellent restaurant called Le Brugel, local regional food, never needed a reservation except the one time we took a friend who was vegetarian.

Also a french comedy film - think ealing comedy but made about 10 years ago - was filmed around Bergues called "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis"  "Welcome to the sticks" about a french postman living in the south of france who gets promoted and has to move north - the curtain of rain he drives into as he crosses the border into the Nord is particularly funny.  English subtitles unless there's now a dubbed version.  It's how we learned of the place.

(Heading south we use Montrueil sur Mer of Les Miserables fame :) )

Cheers

--Tim A