Amazon Kindle


Don Madge
 

I need some help please.
My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any more.
I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
I checked out the available ones but I don't understand the terminology I just want something simple and to transfer the from my present kindle.
Can somebody recommend one preferably one with a built in light. ..
Any suggestions will be most welcome.
Stay safe
Don


Alan Morris
 

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:44, Don Madge <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:

My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
Like my wife!

I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any more.
Like my wife's, with a keyboard.

I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
She also has a large collection of books. She uses the built-in
reading aloud feature a lot, using the internal speaker.

In May I bought her a "Kindle Oasis | Now with adjustable warm light |
Waterproof, 32 GB, Wi-Fi | Graphite" and cover, "Kindle Oasis Leather
Cover, Black".

It now has a back-light, so the battery needs charging more often. No
k'brd but she can cope. But no built-in speaker. So I then bought
her a "Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker
(Black)" - a bluetooth connection. Ideal for use in the kitchen, with
the Kindle in the living room.

She quickly had all her old Kindle books on her new Kindle. Both have
wi-fi, but no internet. She uses our Three Mi-Fi to connect, so
available at home and in the motorhome.

She loves the new setup.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5GK1KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B89G5J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N11SHI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

Alan.


phipps_paul
 

Hi Don
Do you have a computer?
If so download a free programme called Calibre. Then upload all copyright free files to it from your old reader. Remember that anything you bought via Amazon will not upload due to the copyright protection applied to their files. 
Then buy yourself a new Kindle reader (I have the Kindle paper white and can recommend it) and download direct from Amazon all your purchased Amazon kindle library files listed to your account. 
After that on the computer open up the Calibre programme with all your old uploaded unprotected files, attach your new reader and download the files stored there. 
It’s not as complicated as it sounds. The Amazon kindle helpline should be able to help and advise on their side particularly if you are spending money!! 
Hope that helps. Take care. 

Paul


On 29 Sep 2020, at 16:44, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:

I need some help please.
My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any more.
I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
I checked out the available ones but I don't understand the terminology I just want something simple and to transfer the from my present kindle.
Can somebody recommend one preferably one with a built in light. ..
Any suggestions will be most welcome.
Stay safe
Don


timsinc Sinclair
 

Don,
Alan has covered it all. I'd just add that Madge's 700+ books will be
all in her library at Amazon and all or just a few can be downloaded
onto any new Kindle - or even a phone or tablet that has the Kindle
app.

In fact on my simple Kindle white (meaning has a backlight) I
deliberately delete books as the list grows so long and cumbersome. If
I want to re-read one from the past, I just download it again. No
cost, you've already paid for it.

Tim

On 29/09/2020, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:44, Don Madge <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:

My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
Like my wife!

I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any
more.
Like my wife's, with a keyboard.

I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
She also has a large collection of books. She uses the built-in
reading aloud feature a lot, using the internal speaker.

In May I bought her a "Kindle Oasis | Now with adjustable warm light |
Waterproof, 32 GB, Wi-Fi | Graphite" and cover, "Kindle Oasis Leather
Cover, Black".

It now has a back-light, so the battery needs charging more often. No
k'brd but she can cope. But no built-in speaker. So I then bought
her a "Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker
(Black)" - a bluetooth connection. Ideal for use in the kitchen, with
the Kindle in the living room.

She quickly had all her old Kindle books on her new Kindle. Both have
wi-fi, but no internet. She uses our Three Mi-Fi to connect, so
available at home and in the motorhome.

She loves the new setup.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5GK1KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B89G5J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N11SHI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

Alan.





--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


David Scholes
 

Hi Don

I am on my third Kindle. First one had a keyboard. It died. The kindle man thought that I had sat on it but I denied it strenuously so they sent me another one without a keyboard.
Later I fancied one with a backlight so I bought a kindle whitelight 6 (or something like that).
I am still using it. It is a prized possession. As mentioned the battery doesn’t last as long, about 2 weeks. Everything else dies daily.

The comment about a sliver is correct.
Using your Kindle to read unlocked books is valid using Calibre to adjust the format and do the downloading. Legally you can download about 30,000 books from Gutenberg. They are all out of copyright. You won’t want most of them but that leaves a lot.

Story. When I first got my van I loaded it for my first trip. Went to a weigh bridge and found that I was about 20 kilos within the limit but I didn’t have my wife with me. Went back and emptied everything I could. Lots of water lots of tools and a whole pile of books. That was when I bought my first kindle.

David

On 29 Sep 2020, at 17:25, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Don,
Alan has covered it all. I'd just add that Madge's 700+ books will be
all in her library at Amazon and all or just a few can be downloaded
onto any new Kindle - or even a phone or tablet that has the Kindle
app.

In fact on my simple Kindle white (meaning has a backlight) I
deliberately delete books as the list grows so long and cumbersome. If
I want to re-read one from the past, I just download it again. No
cost, you've already paid for it.

Tim

On 29/09/2020, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:44, Don Madge <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:

My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
Like my wife!

I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any
more.
Like my wife's, with a keyboard.

I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
She also has a large collection of books. She uses the built-in
reading aloud feature a lot, using the internal speaker.

In May I bought her a "Kindle Oasis | Now with adjustable warm light |
Waterproof, 32 GB, Wi-Fi | Graphite" and cover, "Kindle Oasis Leather
Cover, Black".

It now has a back-light, so the battery needs charging more often. No
k'brd but she can cope. But no built-in speaker. So I then bought
her a "Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker
(Black)" - a bluetooth connection. Ideal for use in the kitchen, with
the Kindle in the living room.


Nick
 

Hi Don, hope you and Maureen are well. Like others on here I now have the Paperwhite after my original Kindle died. It is certainly easier to read from compared with the old one but the drawbacks for me are the lower battery life and not being able to use the internet like I could with the first Kindle. Ok it wasn't brilliant for surfing but did come in handy sometimes. A few years ago I was given a couple of cds, remember them? They have hundreds of books on them, many are recent. I've transferred a couple of hundred onto my machine so have enough reading material to last for awhile yet. 

Regards, Nick and Bill.


Don Madge
 

Thanks for all the input.

Nick, 
Maureen has a Paperwhite, I've tried it out but struggle asI have benign tremors, In fact I have all the outward signs of parknsons but don't actually have it. I can no longer  write, struggle with a knife and fork. With arthritis in both hands I really struggle with the paperwhite even using a stylus.
I asked Maureen about battery life and she said she keeps it on airplane mode she found the battery lasted longer.

I looked at Alan's suggestion but it was far too complicated for me.

I'll struggle with my kindle as long as I can, I find it easy to use with a stylus.
Regards to Bill
Stay safe 
Don

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 09:44, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Hi Don, hope you and Maureen are well. Like others on here I now have the Paperwhite after my original Kindle died. It is certainly easier to read from compared with the old one but the drawbacks for me are the lower battery life and not being able to use the internet like I could with the first Kindle. Ok it wasn't brilliant for surfing but did come in handy sometimes. A few years ago I was given a couple of cds, remember them? They have hundreds of books on them, many are recent. I've transferred a couple of hundred onto my machine so have enough reading material to last for awhile yet. 

Regards, Nick and Bill.


Nick
 

Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


Don Madge
 

Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don

 

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


timsinc Sinclair
 

Don, re controlling mouse: solutions out there such as:
https://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/communication/mice,-joysticks-%26-trackballs-p/amaneo-assistive-mouse-adapter-0121747-1186-information.htm

Keep walking (you do better than me)
Tim

On 03/10/2020, Don Madge <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:
Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages
turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is
any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch
pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most
days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don



On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@hotmail.com> wrote:

Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be
better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them?
I've
tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start
dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.






--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Nick
 

Don, on my iPod the pages do turn automatically. I also use earphones so the reading doesn't disturb Bill whilst she is watching the tv if I'm in the lounge.

hth, Nick.


Don Madge
 

Thanks Tim, that could be the answer to one of my main problems.

Thanks Nick, That seems like another good idea.

Don 


On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 10:23, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, on my iPod the pages do turn automatically. I also use earphones so the reading doesn't disturb Bill whilst she is watching the tv if I'm in the lounge.

hth, Nick.


Bennett Family
 

Don,

The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet. 

Martin


On 3 Oct 2020, at 17:58, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:


Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don

 

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


Don Madge
 


Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io>
17:22 (38 minutes ago)
to motorhome-lis


The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet.

Thanks Martin we have a branch at Horsham, I'll pay them a visit.
Don   

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 17:22, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don,

The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet. 

Martin


On 3 Oct 2020, at 17:58, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:


Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don

 

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


Bennett Family
 

Don,

Their hands-on policy may have changed due to COVID. 

On my Kindle I can turn the brightness down to minimum and it appears more like the old display. 

Martin Bennett

On 4 Oct 2020, at 18:07, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:



Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io>
17:22 (38 minutes ago)
to motorhome-lis


The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet.

Thanks Martin we have a branch at Horsham, I'll pay them a visit.
Don   

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 17:22, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don,

The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet. 

Martin


On 3 Oct 2020, at 17:58, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:


Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don

 

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


Don Madge
 

Thanks Martin, I'll give them a ring before I go.
Don

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 10:18, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don,

Their hands-on policy may have changed due to COVID. 

On my Kindle I can turn the brightness down to minimum and it appears more like the old display. 

Martin Bennett

On 4 Oct 2020, at 18:07, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:



Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io>
17:22 (38 minutes ago)
to motorhome-lis


The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet.

Thanks Martin we have a branch at Horsham, I'll pay them a visit.
Don   

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 17:22, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don,

The Audio books that I down load and radio plays operate like a tape recorder - you press go & then pause or stop when you’ve had enough. It restarts from where you were when you go back. 

Headphones are useful if there are other people around that don’t want to listen.

To go back to your Kindle question, I find the staff at John Lewis are almost always knowledgable and helpful. If you have a branch nearby try there and ask if you can try the different options. It’s the big advantage that bricks & mortar stores have over ordering on t’internet. 

Martin


On 3 Oct 2020, at 17:58, Don Madge <don.madge@...> wrote:


Nick, I've been thinking about the audio books for some time, do the pages turn automatically?

Another problem I have is controlling the mouse, I need to see if there is any way I can use the computer other than the mouse.I've tried the touch pad but that's more difficult than the mouse.

I consider myself very lucky that I can still walk ok, we do 5 miles most days. It's an interesting walk along the seafront.
Stay safe
Don

 

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:53, Nick <nickoff2@...> wrote:
Don, so sorry to hear of your trouble with your health. Would it not be better to download some audio books and see how you get on with them? I've tried a couple and found them very good although if in bed I soon start dropping off to sleep. :-)

Nick.

PS. Bill sends her good wishes.


raymond monteithsmith
 

Last Christmas my Kindle DX [the large A4 size thing] failed, I burnt a hole in it......long story. Bought an Oasis as DX long discontinued but called Kindle on their USA line re transfer items etc.......Chatty lady thought story was funny and put me on hold after awhile then came back and said they were sending me a re-furb'd one FREE..........she said it may take a few weeks but arrived just a few days later. I know use the DX at home and carry the much smaller, but excellent Oasis when out and about........