Topics

airconditioning

timsinc Sinclair
 

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim

Mick Potter
 

I looked at things like this.  They fill the place with water vapour.  This may not necessarily be a problem, but you need to take it into account.

The principle works.  A few years back I had a room in a cheap hotel in India.  There was an opening onto the landing, with a pile of damp straw and a fan blowing cooled air into the room.

If you get one, let us know how it works.

Mick

___________________________________________________________
Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@....  Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, and to disappear at a moment's notice.  I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.


On Sunday, 5 July 2020, 11:03:09 BST, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:


I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.


I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim


Bennett Family
 

I looked at something similar on FB yesterday. There were quite a lot of negative comments. 

I suspect you would need to have the door closed or sit I front of it to a get a noticeable effect. 

But for £60 it would be worth Tim buying one and letting us know!

Martin

On 5 Jul 2020, at 11:39, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:


I looked at things like this.  They fill the place with water vapour.  This may not necessarily be a problem, but you need to take it into account.

The principle works.  A few years back I had a room in a cheap hotel in India.  There was an opening onto the landing, with a pile of damp straw and a fan blowing cooled air into the room.

If you get one, let us know how it works.

Mick

___________________________________________________________
Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@....  Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, and to disappear at a moment's notice.  I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.


On Sunday, 5 July 2020, 11:03:09 BST, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:


I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.


I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim


M Stevenson
 

Hi,

Evaporative coolers are OK ish provided that the ambient humidity is low.

I bought a simple one from B&Q years ago, it did cool the air very slightly but it has since sat in the loft for years gathering dust. It was relatively noisy, and the water was in a simple tray, with a six inch square 'wick' and a small pump.
Had to bleach the wick a few times to remove black mould!!

If the humidity is high, it's useless, just like wasted sweat running down your body with no cooling effect.

Regards
Max

I'm Bazbro
 

This unit relies on DRY AIR to work best.  It's an evaporative air cooler (a mini 'swamp-cooler') but if the air is already as "damp" as it normally is in the UK, then the "evaporation" is markedly reduced.  They don't work as well in this country as in hot, dry places.
Without testing it, I'm guessing the output will be of the "mouse cough" variety, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020, 11:03 am timsinc Sinclair, <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim



Keith Smith
 

We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year - not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim



M Stevenson
 

This will slowly increase the humidity in the van, which in turn will decrease the efficiency of the unit, to the point it stops working. So the damp air needs venting to the outside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

A nice big fan and wearing a black t-shirt will use your body's natural evaporative system just as well. This mechanism can also be topped up with a nice cold beer occasionally. 😉

HoHum,
Max

On 5 Jul 2020 12:05 p.m., Keith Smith <tasman2405@...> wrote:
We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year - not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim



Carol Weaver
 

Money back guarantee nothing lost so worth a try. 

C

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

I seem to remember some bad reviews on such USB fans. Probably because of the very low power. I have an IcyCool mains powered 4 in 1 job and it blows an icy hurricane on top speed. And even though it can evaporate a gallon of ice water in a couple of hours, it only dropped recent room temps of 30+ down to 27 or 28. 

But hey! Better than nothing. When we travelled to hotter climes, we relied on two dodges. Battery powered fan sprays https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Handheld-Operated-Portable-Personal/dp/B00ATSJ6X0 

And dampened face flannels in plastic bags popped into the freezer. 

I noticed, too, in scenes in ME countries of large spray fans. I am talking of 1M in did. But how about one of these? https://tinyurl.com/y76lp23x 

HTH
______

ErnB


Alan Morris
 

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit.
Have you ever wondered why there are no 12 volt powered a/c units?

This is only USB 5 volt.

Alan.

timsinc Sinclair
 

Some great thinking... thank you all for input. Of unrealised
consideration is the factor about humidity and effectiveness.

Happens my digital thermometer in my van shows today (in a 20C windy
sun&cloud south-east) humidity level 36. At its peak seen figure 70,
but average under 50 - even after showering in van!

In recent heatwave (33.4C at Heathrow not far away, 38C in van) I used
my slightly more bulky fan heater on fan-only. Thankfully not too
noisy, so slept through the night. Daytime, however, at one stage
fired up and ran the VW T5 engine with the cab aircon on.

Result of it all: still undecided!

Tim

On 05/07/2020, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:
This will slowly increase the humidity in the van, which in turn will
decrease the efficiency of the unit, to the point it stops working. So the
damp air needs venting to the outside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

A nice big fan and wearing a black t-shirt will use your body's natural
evaporative system just as well. This mechanism can also be topped up with a
nice cold beer occasionally. 😉

HoHum,
Max

On 5 Jul 2020 12:05 p.m., Keith Smith <tasman2405@...> wrote:

We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are
obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that
bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did
cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year -
not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 18:53, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Result of it all: still undecided!

Same here. Still trying tower out which air-fryer is best. 
________


ErnB

Louisa Livingstone
 

In southern Spain in extreme heat I put a frozen fridge block in front of a fan so the air it blows is cooler and dry. It certainly helps to do that. Just replace the frozen block with another one when it's warmed up

Louisa

Carol Weaver
 

Hi Louisa! 

Long time silent. Hope you are keeping well. Have you coped ok during Covid?  

Whereabouts are you?

Carol

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 22:01, Louisa Livingstone <louisalivingstone@...> wrote:
In southern Spain in extreme heat I put a frozen fridge block in front of a fan so the air it blows is cooler and dry. It certainly helps to do that. Just replace the frozen block with another one when it's warmed up

Louisa

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Neill King \(MH-List\)
 

Got one (at less money), initially encouraging but indifferent performance and steadily worsening as moisture creeps into and affects the cheap components. Now unused. Useless on a sticky night when humidity is high - it was in the 80s @ 15c here recently.

Best was our 12v 'Endless Breeze' box fan with anything you like in front of it to add extra cooling - sadly no longer available in UK since Dometic bought out Fantastic Fan. Roadpro used to do one too but that also seems to have disappeared.


Best regards

Neill (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
-----------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@... motorcaravanning@...
------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

-----Original Message-----
From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of timsinc Sinclair
Sent: 05 July 2020 11:03
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] airconditioning

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 21:54, I wrote:

Same here. Still trying tower out which air-fryer is best. 

Damned auto spell check! TO WORK OUT….

OTOH, could it be a sort of providence?

Tower make air-fryers. LOL!
—————

ErnB

Derek Sims
 

We've just had an interesting "discussion" about this thread. I mentioned to Tish about Louisa's trick of hanging a freezer block in front of the fan. Her response was "Wouldn't that just make the fridge kick out more heat?" We have a compressor fridge which doesn't have external venting (Thank You Hymer). Thoughts, anyone?

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


On 06/07/2020, 06:19 "Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;)" <yahoo@...> wrote:
Got one (at less money), initially encouraging but indifferent performance and steadily worsening as moisture creeps into and affects the cheap components. Now unused. Useless on a sticky night when humidity is high - it was in the 80s @ 15c here recently.

Best was our 12v 'Endless Breeze' box fan with anything you like in front of it to add extra cooling - sadly no longer available in UK since Dometic bought out Fantastic Fan. Roadpro used to do one too but that also seems to have disappeared.


Best regards

Neill (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
-----------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@... motorcaravanning@...
------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information




-----Original Message-----
From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of timsinc Sinclair
Sent: 05 July 2020 11:03
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] airconditioning

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim






Mick Potter
 

If you've got no vent, yes she's right. You might do better by switching off the fridge! 

Mick


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 22:26, Carol Weaver
<corconx@...> wrote:
Hi Louisa! 

Long time silent. Hope you are keeping well. Have you coped ok during Covid?  

Whereabouts are you?

Carol

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 22:01, Louisa Livingstone <louisalivingstone@...> wrote:
In southern Spain in extreme heat I put a frozen fridge block in front of a fan so the air it blows is cooler and dry. It certainly helps to do that. Just replace the frozen block with another one when it's warmed up

Louisa

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Phil
 

When I first saw these at the shows and they were being sold for £300 plus I thought it would be a good idea but was not prepared to pay that much for an evaporative cooler.

So being a "man with a shed" and a passion for saving a bit of money when you can, I decided I will set and make one, this I did using a couple of computer fans a small 12 V waterpump and a filter unit - stick it in a  plastic storage box and yes I have a device that worked well - I tested by using twin digital thermometers, one on the input side and one on the output side -  and yes there was a drop in moving air temperature of approximately 5 to 8° C dependent on humidity.

So when we've been in hot dry places and having it placed on the table with the air going towards you it does have a cooling effect.

For information the ones that sell here for over £300 actually come from Australia and my sister has one out there in Perth where she paid about £150 for it - I did call the company and they said they would not send to the UK.

Primary reason for going "To The Shed"

Phil

Phil
 

A refrigerative Air Conditioner uses a kilowatt or more of power - not a thing for 12V !

Phil