Advice Wanted on Spring East Europe Trip - Cvirus permitting!

Derek Sims

We're taking the ferry from Poole to St. Helier early in April (New granddaughter expected), and from there to St. Malo mid-April. From there we hope to travel eastward to finish, hopefully, in Slovenia and Croatia. We have just under 3 months available for the whole trip. We'll be doing it in our Hymervan 314, (5.45m, 3.5T).

We would appreciate any advice on best choice of route, any special regulations we need to abide by, passes/vignettes required before the journey. We've travelled in France, although not alpine France, and passed through Switzerland in our 3.8T 'van, but not through Austria, Slovenia or Croattia. Does anyone have a list of good stopping spots, must-see locations, etc. I had thought of travelling through Northern Italy because I've never been to Venice, but I guess that won't be possible if the current situation continues.

's reaAs we're not particularly restricted for time, we're happy to avoid toll motorways, particularly if it saves buying an annual vignette. And, if Ernie's reading this, Via Michelin told me it couln't calculate a route from Saint-Malo to Dubrovnik. Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take a ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with insuranve?

We have ordered the French Crit'air sticker and the German one. Are we likely to need any for the other countries we'd be passing through.

Obviously I'll be looking at websites for some of the above information, but I know the List is a treasure trove of valuable information.

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Derek

timsinc Sinclair

On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take a
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

Alan Morris

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 12:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

Via Michelin told me it couln't calculate a route from Saint-Malo to Dubrovnik.

No problem here:-

image.png

Derek Sims

Thanks for that Alan. I must check my settings for Via Michelin.

Derek

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 5:08 PM
From: "Alan Morris" <alan.g4ens@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Advice Wanted on Spring East Europe Trip - Cvirus permitting!
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 12:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

Via Michelin told me it couln't calculate a route from Saint-Malo to Dubrovnik.

No problem here:-

Attachments:

Derek Sims

Thanks for that, Tim. One more piece for the jigsaw puzzle. Just another question:

Not sure how long ago it was you did your trip, but did you pass through Slovenia, and can you recall whether either country required the purchase of a vignette to use the roads or motorways and, if so, did you have to buy it in advance?

Sorry, I cheated. That's about three questions. must be in line for PM ;-

Thanks

Derek

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

> Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
> length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take a
> ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with insuranve?

No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

timsinc Sinclair

It was autumn 2017, Derek. Yes, I touched Slovenia for a wee bit, but
for there - and Austria (which along with German Alps I loved) - I
didn't bother with any vignettes. I just set the sat-nav to avoid
m-ways and tolls. Don't know whether things changed in last three
years. Croatia coast fantastic after you get past the northern bit.

Camper Tim (at the mo west of Valencia)

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Advice Wanted on Spring East Europe Trip -
Cvirus permitting!
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with
insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

john twort

You need a Vignette for Slovenia.

Best,

John

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

> Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
> length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take a
> ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with insuranve?

No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

Neill King \(MH-List\)

We had intended to go down that coast but never got past Istria - loved it.

Don't recall making the Italy-Slovenia-Croatia transfer by Motorway, pretty sure we used ordinary non-toll-vignette roads.

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@motorcaravanning.co.uk motorcaravanning@gmail.com
A great on-line motorhome parts & accessory shop & reference

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Cvirus permitting!
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with
insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

Derek Sims

Thank you all for your valued replies. We will follow the advice, as we don’t particularly want to drive on motorways and hardly ever use the Peage in France.

Lucky you Tim, avoiding the awful UK weather at the moment. That’s assuming you’re near the Spanish Valencia, not the Irish one (which we rather preferred). Actually, you must be as the only thing west of Valencia in Ireland is America!

Cheers

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Cvirus permitting!
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you take
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with
insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

I think, Derek, that place in Ireland is spelled VallenTia. I've done
the west coast twice before, but come summer maybe visit that missed
above location.

Camper Tim (18C Spain)

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
-
Cvirus permitting!
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you
take
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with
insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

Derek Sims

Hi Tim

I did wonder about that spelling, but apparently both are accepted. If you do go, just below the huge weather station is the Tetrapods Trackway, a set of fossilised 385 million year old footprints, only discovered in 1993 by a student, Swiss I think. In fact, they must be 385,000,004 years old, because we went in 2016.

Enjoy the other one

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
-
Cvirus permitting!
On 02/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone driven through the short
length of Bosnia that separates the two parts of Croatio, or did you
take
ferry to bridge the gap? If you drove it, how did you manage with
insuranve?
No problem driving on straight through. Couple of custom checks, but
no green card insurance required for that bit. I did go into Bosnia
later (to see Mostar and bit more) and paid €30 for 3rd party
insurance for 14 days at the border.

Campervan Tim

Derek, as I've "done" Valencia (Spain) twice before, sticking to the
hills this time. I used campsite just north with easy bus ride into
city. Get off early and there's this amazing futurist architecture
(housing theatre, museums and more) spanning a vast area of water and
lakes. Loved it.

Stay on the bus you get to fascinating old town. I was there day
before some festival with the streets full of huge creations/figures
and people cooking over fires.

Thanks for Ireland's version attraction - a must for my next time
there. Out of interest, Sean wrote on the OTlist (not being a member
here):

"Valentia Island
Bheal Inse ( vale insha) , roughly, beal is mouth, aber, inver.
Inse is island ( gaelic version of latin insula).
Another old name for the place is Dairbhre ( which means something
about oak trees)."

Camper Tim

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2020 at 1:42 PM
From: "timsinc Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com>