ADVICE please

Carol Weaver

I’m in a brain muddle

I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI connector but it’s tiny not like my tv

So it may be a mini or a micro?  I’m assuming but I cannot find info. On apple’s website it just says HDMI cable available separately

Now would someone please point me at what I am supposed to get?  Amazon is usually my port of call but brings up so many options

Many thanks. Hoping to make use of it in Motorhome

Michael Hambleton

Amazon or eBay , they sell the cables , I bought one when I got my Apple TV box

SE 2020

On 3 Aug 2021, at 15:40, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

I’m in a brain muddle

I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI connector but it’s tiny not like my tv

So it may be a mini or a micro?  I’m assuming but I cannot find info. On apple’s website it just says HDMI cable available separately

Now would someone please point me at what I am supposed to get?  Amazon is usually my port of call but brings up so many options

Many thanks. Hoping to make use of it in Motorhome

Attachments:

timsinc Sinclair

I've no Apple things so unlikely to help. But that link shows cable
looks as if meant to plug into a tv (the broad bit) and the other end
one of the newer micro usb C ports on devices phone/tablet.

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
smart TVs.

TimS

https://tinyurl.com/4w975jps

So it may be a mini or a micro? I’m assuming but I cannot find info. On
apple’s website it just says HDMI cable available separately

Now would someone please point me at what I am supposed to get? Amazon is
usually my port of call but brings up so many options

Many thanks. Hoping to make use of it in Motorhome

Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Attachments:
IMG_2279.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/102634/0

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 14:40, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI connector but it’s tiny not like my tv
>
> https://tinyurl.com/4w975jps

Unfortunately Tim is wrong.

The 'plug' at the top of the Apple picture is a standard Apple Lightning - fit any way round - connector.

The Apple page gives very little details, but looking here provides more details.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=74944050704&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qOIBhBhEiwAyvVcf71WCz-8TNXG5W58-tge7oKrt-cp6_SF91Tn4jqokh15IpWNUU7jQRoCWAsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=338747912386&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006745&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2675823823809550009&hvtargid=kwd-762866182266&hydadcr=28211_1821152&keywords=apple-lightning-digital-av-adapter&qid=1628003992&sr=8-3&th=1>

Looking at the first 'Customer questions & answers' indicates the 'other' socket is just a Lightning pass-through connection, so that other Apple devices such as a power supply or charger can still be used.

The 'main' connector is the HDMI TV type connector.

image.png
The above is the Amazon picture of the Apple device.  Compare that with below.

image.png

So it looks like a full size standard HDMI.

Also compare the sizes of the three HDMI and the Lightning connector.

Alan.

David Scholes

Hello Carol,

The adapter is exactly the same as mine.
Plug the little end into the bottom of the iPhone. Plug an HDMI cable into the bigger hole on the adapter and the other end of the HDMI cable into an appropriate socket on the back of the TV (or even on the side of the TV, mine TV has 4 such sockets). Plug an iPhone charging cable into the tiny slot on the adaptor. Use the remote to tell the TV which HDMI socket to look at for the picture (don’t cheat and just flick through the HDMI positions. One has to do the whole thing one at a time, select which one, press OK or what passes for OK then wait a couple of seconds to see the pic. If it doesn’t come select a different HDMI etc.

I can get Apple TV off it or Prime TV or Netfliks or YouTube or Eurosport but I have only paid for Prime and Eurosport, for the 3 Grand Tours, so I only get those and You Tube which is free. But I actually don’t bother anymore because I bought a Noku box which sticks on the side of the TV and does the job (except it won’t get the Eurosport so the Amazon one is probably the best to get for the UK) so much easier than the phone and only cost about the same price as the Apple adaptor. All of this was cheaper than paying for a TV licence which I no longer need because I don’t watch any transmitted TV programs any more.

All the best

David

On 3 Aug 2021, at 15:59, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I've no Apple things so unlikely to help. But that link shows cable
looks as if meant to plug into a tv (the broad bit) and the other end
one of the newer micro usb C ports on devices phone/tablet.

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
smart TVs.

TimS

On 03/08/2021, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
I’m in a brain muddle

I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI
connector but it’s tiny not like my tv

https://tinyurl.com/4w975jps

So it may be a mini or a micro?  I’m assuming but I cannot find info. On
apple’s website it just says HDMI cable available separately

Now would someone please point me at what I am supposed to get?  Amazon is
usually my port of call but brings up so many options

Many thanks. Hoping to make use of it in Motorhome

Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Attachments:
IMG_2279.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/102634/0

Mick Potter

Carol,

If you have WiFi available, you should be able to link your iPhone to the TV:

I don't use Apple kit, but I should have thought you should be able to 'cast' your phone screen to the TV, as Tim suggested.

Otherwise I think David's solution should work.

£49!!  That's why I hate Apple kit!

Bests

Mick

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 15:40, Carol Weaver
<corconx@...> wrote:
I’m in a brain muddle

I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI connector but it’s tiny not like my tv

So it may be a mini or a micro?  I’m assuming but I cannot find info. On apple’s website it just says HDMI cable available separately

Now would someone please point me at what I am supposed to get?  Amazon is usually my port of call but brings up so many options

Many thanks. Hoping to make use of it in Motorhome

Attachments:

Carol Weaver

It’s definitely not normal size. So mini I reckon

Thank you

I knew what other was for

Carol

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 16:45, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 14:40, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> I have got an Apple accessory to connect iPhone to tv. It has an HDMI connector but it’s tiny not like my tv
>
> https://tinyurl.com/4w975jps

Unfortunately Tim is wrong.

The 'plug' at the top of the Apple picture is a standard Apple Lightning - fit any way round - connector.

The Apple page gives very little details, but looking here provides more details.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=74944050704&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qOIBhBhEiwAyvVcf71WCz-8TNXG5W58-tge7oKrt-cp6_SF91Tn4jqokh15IpWNUU7jQRoCWAsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=338747912386&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006745&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2675823823809550009&hvtargid=kwd-762866182266&hydadcr=28211_1821152&keywords=apple-lightning-digital-av-adapter&qid=1628003992&sr=8-3&th=1>

Looking at the first 'Customer questions & answers' indicates the 'other' socket is just a Lightning pass-through connection, so that other Apple devices such as a power supply or charger can still be used.

The 'main' connector is the HDMI TV type connector.

image.png
The above is the Amazon picture of the Apple device.  Compare that with below.

image.png

So it looks like a full size standard HDMI.

Also compare the sizes of the three HDMI and the Lightning connector.

Alan.

Attachments:

David it’s only about 13mm width across. My hdmi are all bigger hence my question

Carol

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 16:53, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
[...]

Martin Bennett

On 3 Aug 2021, at 20:07, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
[...]

Martin is that showing me what?  Is that a hdmi to mini hdmi into Apple av adapter?

Carol

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 21:17, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
[...]

Hi again

The HDMI is about 13 mm. If yours are not then they are not HDMI. They look very like the mini USB connector in that they are like a long oval with sticky out bottom corners like you use to charge non Apple phones but about 3 times the size.

On my TV which is an old Panasonic 32 inch there are multi HDMI. May I suggest the if there are not multiple sockets the same then they are not HDMI. Like I said, I have four of them. The really big connectors are video, not HDMI because ALL HDMI are about 13 mm across and that is the only thing that your connector will connect to. The ROKU ( I got it slightly wrong in my last post) box also connects to HDMI. Please look for them as they are the key to all connectivity in TVs nowadays. If you cannot find them then it is probable that your TV is no longer viable. Like I said, my TV is about 15 years old and it has four such slots. It is an old TV or so my grand children tell me. They, of course, think that I am an old foggy (and the are probably correct) but they also think that my TV is no longer viable, but I think that they are wrong because I have got  it all working. BTW the Roku box was a bit cheaper than the Amazon but they were both less than £40. Somebody said that the
Apple connector was over that though I am sure that I didn’t pay that much. One problem that I now have is that my wife is complaining about the number of wires that I have coming out of my TV but IT WORKs.

David

[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible

Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here:
https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Attachments:
IMG_2279.jpeg: https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/102634/0

Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Bennett Family

It’s what I use. Standard HDMI into the converter other end of that cable into TV - little white plug into iPhone or iPad. BUT there are 3* different connectors for the Apple IPhones - original, lightening and latest mini/micro/C USB or whatever. I think we have Apple devices with all 3 somewhere!!

Martin
* I think it is 3 but I’m no expert. May be easier to link by Apple Air play or whatever it is called if you have a Smarter TV than mine!

On 3 Aug 2021, at 21:20, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
[...]

Ok so that’s a standard. I’ll have to try it. It’s out in mh.

Thanks all

Carol

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 21:39, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

From my Android phone and tablet I can mirror the screen on compatible
[...]

Elwyn

So you showed us the thing that goes in the bottom of your iphone with the lightning cable, and it had a female socket in it to take the power for the iphone and a female socket to take the HDMI cable.

It is possible to get a HDMI and Mini HDMI cable, as well as angle and size converters between them.

https://www.thatcable.com/img/connections.jpg

This shows you the views of the ends of the cables. It might look the same but the HDMI type A and type C are different sizes I think.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/connector-ports-usb-type-type-c-video-ports-hand-drawnmi-dvi-displayport-audio-coaxial-thunderbolt-lightning-169003072.jpg

https://www.electronicshub.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ports.jpg

Hopefully some of those images will make sense with the different ports you can get. They are the sort of thing you'll find on computers and audio visual equipment.

Elwyn

Carol Weaver

Hi Elwyn

Why can’t companies standardise.

My iPhones have had 3 different fittings over the years and so all have to be replaced.

I keep set for front and back sun plus watch charger and usb leads in back - on top of ones upstairs and downstairs at hon
me. Various lengths

Thank you

Carol

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 18:14, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Why can’t companies standardise.

My iPhones have had 3 different fittings over the years and so all have to be replaced.
I've never been keen on Apple products. When I first saw their logo
back in 1978, I wondered, 'Why an Apple with a bite out of it?'. It
soon dawned on me that the computer was short of a bite (byte as in
memory) as bits were missing and cost more to buy.

However, Apple's connectors have improved with each type, leading
(Ugh) the way with their current one that plugs in both ways and now
followed with the USB-C.

As for other changes, mainly done by folk making jobs for themselves
to avoid being out of work. Regretfully, many reduce the
functionality of the product. Plus naturally to make more profits.

😀🤣👍

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 21:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 18:14, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> Why can’t companies standardise.
>
> My iPhones have had 3 different fittings over the years and so all have to be replaced.

I've never been keen on Apple products.  When I first saw their logo
back in 1978, I wondered, 'Why an Apple with a bite out of it?'.  It
soon dawned on me that the computer was short of a bite (byte as in
memory) as bits were missing and cost more to buy.

However, Apple's connectors have improved with each type, leading
(Ugh) the way with their current one that plugs in both ways and now
followed with the USB-C.

As for other changes, mainly done by folk making jobs for themselves
to avoid being out of work.  Regretfully, many reduce the
functionality of the product.  Plus naturally to make more profits.

Getting to grips with the New Technology....................................... Here's the story;
"I was visiting my son and daughter-in-law last night
when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.
'This is the 21st century, old man,' he said.
'We don't waste money on newspapers.
Here, you can borrow my iPad.'
I can tell you, that bloody fly never knew what hit it..........."

On 6 Aug 2021, at 22:53, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

😀🤣👍

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 21:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 18:14, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> Why can’t companies standardise.
>
> My iPhones have had 3 different fittings over the years and so all have to be replaced.

I've never been keen on Apple products.  When I first saw their logo
back in 1978, I wondered, 'Why an Apple with a bite out of it?'.  It
soon dawned on me that the computer was short of a bite (byte as in
memory) as bits were missing and cost more to buy.

However, Apple's connectors have improved with each type, leading
(Ugh) the way with their current one that plugs in both ways and now
followed with the USB-C.

As for other changes, mainly done by folk making jobs for themselves
to avoid being out of work.  Regretfully, many reduce the
functionality of the product.  Plus naturally to make more profits.

🤣🤣

What annoys me I have a digital telegraph subscription for years but Duncan won’t look we have to go out Ona Sat morning to buy one for £3.  I pay £4 a month. He pays £12 for something we have!!!

Crazy world but then when you marry a dinosaur you’re stuck with them

Carol

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 13:33, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Getting to grips with the New Technology....................................... Here's the story;
"I was visiting my son and daughter-in-law last night
when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.
'This is the 21st century, old man,' he said.
'We don't waste money on newspapers.
Here, you can borrow my iPad.'
I can tell you, that bloody fly never knew what hit it..........."

On 6 Aug 2021, at 22:53, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

😀🤣👍

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 21:55, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 18:14, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

> Why can’t companies standardise.
>
> My iPhones have had 3 different fittings over the years and so all have to be replaced.

I've never been keen on Apple products.  When I first saw their logo
back in 1978, I wondered, 'Why an Apple with a bite out of it?'.  It
soon dawned on me that the computer was short of a bite (byte as in
memory) as bits were missing and cost more to buy.

However, Apple's connectors have improved with each type, leading
(Ugh) the way with their current one that plugs in both ways and now
followed with the USB-C.

As for other changes, mainly done by folk making jobs for themselves
to avoid being out of work.  Regretfully, many reduce the
functionality of the product.  Plus naturally to make more profits.

Phil

21st Century Tech - You can try and ignore, but it is here and will only develop further ………

There is no need to pay for a newspaper subscription they are all (Not the TIMES) available FREE from the library service.

All you need is a current library number and they can be viewed on Apple or Android - every day there is your new daily paper, and it is not locked to current country (sometimes you need to use a VPN to access services, more tech) so where ever you are in the world your daily paper is still available to you.

PLUS ! ! !

You can also have free magazines

So MMM Practical Motorhome. Campervan. Le Monde du Camping-Car

Plus all the leisure mags. Golf, Fishing. Sailing etc.

How do I know about this stuff - I am a Library Volunteer and give lessons/instruction on how to use the Library Service in West Sussex - so if your are 9 or 90 - I do the training on how to use the library

If more info is needed I can put it on here - or go to your local library get signed up, they should also have a facility to guide you through any setup problems.

Phil