Topics

A sign of cell phone price increases

Alan Morris

Yesterday we received a text from Three. Their PAYG rates are
increasing on 16th February.

Voice calls presently 3p per minute (ppm) are increasing to 10ppm.

Texts presently 2p are increasing to 10p.

Data presently 1p per MB will increase to 5p per MB.

These are massive increases.

Presumably other providers will have similar increases.

I guess that Brexit will be the cause for some increase (roaming
prices announced as not changing due to Brexit, remaining the same
cost as UK calls) but I think that the bulk of the increases are due
to having to remove all Huawei equipment.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/5g-rollouts-gather-pace-despite-obstacles-and-arguments-over-coverage/>

Alan

David Scholes

Yes Alan, I got the same message.
There seems to be a desire by all the mobile phone companies to get rid of payg and replace them by pay monthly albeit with single month contracts. As far as I know the payg phones that you and I both still have, based on the 3 network are the last payg contracts that you could get and they have not been available as new contracts for many months now. Others, like gifgaf claim payg but are really pay monthly in disguise. Meanwhile my payg seems to have been leaking money and I have been struggling to stop it. I think that google has been frequently updating their apps via the mobile data setting which had to be turned on as I kept the phone in the my as a tracker which is now going to cost me about £5 a month.

David
Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Jan 2021, at 17:06, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:

Yesterday we received a text from Three. Their PAYG rates are
increasing on 16th February.

Voice calls presently 3p per minute (ppm) are increasing to 10ppm.

Texts presently 2p are increasing to 10p.

Data presently 1p per MB will increase to 5p per MB.

These are massive increases.

Presumably other providers will have similar increases.

I guess that Brexit will be the cause for some increase (roaming
prices announced as not changing due to Brexit, remaining the same
cost as UK calls) but I think that the bulk of the increases are due
to having to remove all Huawei equipment.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/5g-rollouts-gather-pace-despite-obstacles-and-arguments-over-coverage/>

Alan

philip6279

On 15 Jan 2021, at 17:06, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

Yesterday we received a text from Three.  Their PAYG rates are
increasing on 16th February.

Voice calls presently 3p per minute (ppm) are increasing to 10ppm.

Texts presently 2p are increasing to 10p.

Data presently 1p per MB will increase to 5p per MB.

These are massive increases.

Presumably other providers will have similar increases.

I guess that Brexit will be the cause for some increase (roaming
prices announced as not changing due to Brexit, remaining the same
cost as UK calls) but I think that the bulk of the increases are due
to having to remove all Huawei equipment.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/5g-rollouts-gather-pace-despite-obstacles-and-arguments-over-coverage/>

Alan

Have a look at 1p mobile. 1penny per min for calls and for 1mb of data 1p a text.

£10 joining top up with free sim card. No contract.

Top up £10 every 120 days to keep your credit or top up £30 to keep your credit for 365 days.

Hope i'm not telling u something u already know.

Regards

Phil S.

Roy Coldrick

A while back I changed from the Three payg  deal to Smarty - £10/month 30Gb, unlimited texts and minutes. Smarty piggyback on Three. I found that Smarty didn’t support Tethering or Wi-Fi calling, which I need, so I cancelled and went back to Three although it was fine in more general use.
As a result of these price rises I changed to BT at £10/month for 20Gb + unlimited text and mins but data doubled to 40Gb as a result of being a bt broadband Halo customer.
I am happy with that  but I cannot help feeling that very few people will accept those rises although my wife uses her phone so little she isn’t going to changed .

Roy

On 15 Jan 2021, at 20:19, philip6279 <dinan4@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Phil

Fascinating. The 1p net of which I knew nothing is really a 4 monthly contract at £2.50 per month where you then get charged like a payg contract. As such it must be the cheapest there is.

Hello Roy,
Smarty are actually a cheaper label which is a part of 3 net. My understanding is that it works just like 3 with roaming and tethering but at cheaper prices (£10 for free plus 30GB data) which cost me about £15 from 3). They also run monthly contracts, not yearly like 3. They don’t show on the 3 app and you have to go on a browser to find them.
The iD net (carphone warehouse) also runs on 3 and basically charges a bit less than 3 for a bit less data.

Like I said, nobody seems to run proper payg anymore though the 1p net above seems very interesting.

David

On 15 Jan 2021, at 20:44, Roy Coldrick <roy.coldrick@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

ROY. I put Duncan on it s he used to have a payg and it ran out without using it.  So Smarty £10 works for him.

We were away last year, and suddenly found his tethering stopped, as he only used the phone to tether his nexus...

I contacted them and argued that it had nothing to say they did do tethering and after discussions he got it back, whether when he goes away again he will get it, remains to be seen.  But we were away

Carol

Click here  For Motorhome Owners here is a link to photographs of aires, stellplatz, chateaux, wargraves, NT properties etc.

CLICK HERE  TO BEST ALLROUND PROVIDER PLUSNET

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 20:44, Roy Coldrick <roy.coldrick@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Carol. It was the lack of Wi-Fi calling that did it for me but , anyway, job done, I have contracted to the at £10/month and am happy with that.
Roy

On 15 Jan 2021, at 21:48, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

[...]

Simon Brocklhurst

Yes, I've just received my 1pmobile SIM through the post, currently offers tethering and roaming in Europe, but I will keep an eye on that. Seems the best deal for someone not using their phone a lot. Using my 3 payg balance for charity donations rather than leaving it to 3!
Simon

Andy Clarke

EE still do payg sims. We use them on our trips to Scotland because EE has better coverage there than any of the other networks.

Even then we struggle for a signal sometimes so I'm looking at external antennas, but that's a subject for another thread.

Andy Clarke

Alan Morris

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 18:59, David Scholes via groups.io
<scholesd=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes Alan, I got the same message.
There seems to be a desire by all the mobile phone companies to get rid of payg and replace them by pay monthly albeit with single month contracts. As far as I know the payg phones that you and I both still have, based on the 3 network are the last payg contracts that you could get and they have not been available as new contracts for many months now. Others, like gifgaf claim payg but are really pay monthly in disguise. Meanwhile my payg seems to have been leaking money and I have been struggling to stop it. I think that google has been frequently updating their apps via the mobile data setting which had to be turned on as I kept the phone in the my as a tracker which is now going to cost me about £5 a month.
I've been on PAYG after T-Mobile decided to make a massive increase in
my monthly cell phone charges. I found Three to be the cheapest and
have remained with their PAYG 123. We have 3 of these SIMs. We
stopped all land-line phones many years ago due to continual problems
with internet connections, causing regular changes in ISP. Started to
use Three Mi-Fi from their earliest devices.

About 4 months ago, I decided that I wanted their latest Mi-Fi which
has dual-band Wi-Fi (now includes 5GHz band), so bought a new contract
and cancelled the old.

They were very keen for me to take the offer they had of a 24 month
Mi-Fi service and a separate phone 12 month contract. The cost for
both together being about 50p a month more. A very good offer I
decided although I didn't need the 12 month phone contract. After the
first 12 months the effective cost of the Mi-Fi contract reduces by £5
to £12 a month for the second 12 months. £12 a month for unlimited
broadband can't be bettered!

So the phone we make outgoing calls is now on the £5 a month contract.
This means that the balances on our 3 SIMs will last for much longer.
A win-win situation.

We don't send text messages and all phones use Wi-Fi for data.

So no problems for the next 20 months.

[...]

Ernest Bull

On 15 Jan 2021, at 17:06, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

Yesterday we received a text from Three.  Their PAYG rates are increasing on 16th February.

Actually, I have never seen the point of PAYG contracts.

Following a series of letters from Three, I called at their shop and signed up for SIM only, pay monthly contracts for M & myself. Unlimited Mins & Texts + 1G of Data - £5 ea. per month. I was paying £7.

My Mi-Fi contract has gone down from £15 to £14 per month for 15G of Data.

All 3 contracts subject to a 4.5% annual price rise.

Seems OK - subject to the small print, I guess.
_______

ErnB

David Scholes

Good Morning Ernie

My father had a mobile phone. He kept it, turned off, in a bag in the boot of his car. It was there for emergencies in case he had to call for the AA or the like. His contract cost him about £10 per year.
Now I have been doing a similar thing. I have an oldish phone in my MH. It sits in a cupboard, turned on, plugged in th a charger cable from the battery and out of sight. All notifications are turned off. The MH battery is charged by the solar panel even in the grey winter days.
If somebody steals my MH then I can find it on my home computer very easily most anywhere in Europe.
It has been costing me about £10 a year for the last 3 years or so though for some reason my balance has been going down fast recently because I suspect that google have been updating everything they can using my mobile data. Now that mobile data is about to become dangerously expensive.
How do you cope with only 15GB of data.
BTW I have a midi device with a Smarty sim costing £10 a month for 30GB and Smarty is owned by 3.

David

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 08:02, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, I have never seen the point of PAYG contracts.
For our small usage, because they are very cheap.

My Mi-Fi contract has gone down from £15 to £14 per month for 15G of Data.
Mine has also gradually gone down, but in practice I upped the amount
of data most times. For unlimited Mi-Fi data I'm now paying only £17
per month.

Alan.

Steve Pyke

Hi a bit late to this thread but I have been on three 123 PAYG for several years but with the new rates I will have to reconsider. I only top up £10 about once a year! but now use it rather than my talktalk landline for outgoing calls.

I have a smarty SIM £10/month for 30gb which has worked great except the signal was poor in remote Wales when I used a Giffgaff monthly SIM as a back up. You can suspend the Giffgaff monthly payment for several months if you don't need it. We have used both in Mallorca last year.

From the Smarty support webpage:

You’re entitled to use your data however you like, no matter which of the SMARTY plans you're on, so you can tether and use your phone as a mobile hot spot with your full allowance if you want to.

 If you’re travelling in the EU, you will be subject to our fair use limit of 20GB each month.

Our van is SORNED at the moment.

Steve

Ernest Bull

On 17 Jan 2021, at 16:23, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

For unlimited Mi-Fi data I'm now paying only £17 per month.

Sounds to good to be true, Alan. Who with? Do you get intro fees?

TIA

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 14:16, Ernest Bull <ernb32@gmail.com> wrote:

For unlimited Mi-Fi data I'm now paying only £17 per month.
Sounds to good to be true, Alan. Who with? Do you get intro fees?
Three. No intro fees - what are they?

I got the offer as an existing expired contract customer. I guess
that they wanted to guarantee my custom for a minimum of another 24
months.

Alan.

charlie.green@...

I have had half an eye on this Topic, as at some point I may have to dip my toe into the world of a monthly contract for my mobile phone.

I am currently PAYG with Vodafone, I get charged £1 after a few minutes o the phone or I have sent a few texts. Very occasionally if pushed I need to use it for Mobile Data. Up until today after using the phone or sending said texts I got a message saying congratulations or something like that, I have spent a £1 I now get all texts and calls and 500Mb of data to use for the rest of the day.

Today though it's all changed. One of those odd occasions when I needed to connect for data. I get an immediate message all texts and calls plus 50Mb data for the rest of the day. No congratulations for spending a £1 in fact no reference that they took any money out of the account at all, they have though. So my quick need for data of less that a few seconds, I was checking something connected away from home, cost me a £1. It is also a massive reduction in data per day 500mb down to 50mb, blimey what can you do on a smart phone with 50mb of data.

Looks like I will have to go back over the post on this thread and find out who I should be swapping my account too. Vodafone may well have lost me as a customer.

Steve

I use giffgaff for my phone. Minimum £6 per month for unlimited minutes/texts and 500MB of data. You can change to a different deal whenever you like and start the next month early if you run out of data earlier than expected.

Smarty's minimum is also £6 but you get 1GB. Slightly less flexible in that you can't start the next month early but you can change the monthly plan when you want.

Both are monthly contracts; no long tie-in.

Ernest Bull

On 18 Jan 2021, at 16:07, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

Three.

I’m already with them. They never offered me that deal. I’d take it and dump my WWW provider.

No intro fees - what are they?

Where customers get a bung or n % off for introducing new customers.

ErnB

David Scholes

Morning Ernie,
They didn’t offer it to me either because I already had a different deal but Alan mentioned it some time ago so when my contract ran out I looked it up and it was the price IF you wanted a second contract.
So I took out a second contract, two years at £17, unlimited data and a new device thrown in for nothing. Then I cancelled my first contract which had run out anyway.
I now have a second contract again but they is a 30GB Smarty sim at £10 a month on a monthly contract. I need that for the mh because I need WiFi at home when I go away for the security cameras at home. Except now I can’t go away so I may drop the smarty down to about 8 GB but it isn’t much cheaper. Originally I wanted to do that with 3 but they don’t do any low data deals now except for Smarty.

Enjoy

David