Topics

A short history of the OS: WAS - Can I have a flipping moan? GARMIN

Alan Morris

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 07:27, Brent <brentiow.c@gmail.com> wrote:

sat nav is an essential item in our motorhome. Wouldn't travel without one as we don't really need maps here on the Island!!!!
So all the peeps here who slam Windows should be eating humble pie now!!!!
Not wishing to continue an OS war - just a few comments from history.

In mid 1977, Commodore (CBM) introduced to the world the "Personal
Computer". Within 12 months I had bought one - the PET 2001 with 8K
of memory. Within a year I was running my own PC business serving
small business owners. Apple and Tandy/Radio Shack followed quickly
after.

CBM had it's own OS, Apple had it's own OS, but the TRS-80 used the
CP/M OS that was well established with previous microcomputers.
Unfortunately, CP/M was a poor OS but was very successful in the US.
In Europe, especially the UK and Germany, the CBM OS produced the best
programs.

Then the next trio of 16-bit PCs - Sirius 1, DEC Rainbow & IBM PC -
arrived with both CP/M-16 and DOS, which was a copy of CP/M with the
rough bits replaced with slightly better bits. DOS was way superior
than CP/M and so those writing for the CBM OS, quickly produced DOS
versions that were almost as good as their CBM versions. Apple
continued with it's own OS and has stayed that way since. It's a very
good OS, but due to Apple's choice to be different, remains very
separate to mainstream computing. (But is that now changing?)

The Unix OS was superior to DOS and like Apple was more expensive, but
Apple.has good hardware and so succeeded.

DOS was continually improving until the 'war' between OS/2 (IBM's new
OS) and Windows started. MIcrosoft kept removing parts of DOS and
putting it into Windows to make Windows appear to be better than DOS.
OS/2 was the best, but like the Betamax/VHS war, the best product
lost!

For some time programmers had to write versions of their programs in
DOS and Windows. The DOS versions were the better version which
surprisingly included graphical programs, which one would have thought
would have been better with a graphical OS. Thus showing that Windows
was inferior to DOS.

Windows won the OS wars, so now we are lumbered with Windows. I have
never liked Windows as it has always been over complicated.

I've not included the Psion OS - EPOC - which was ideal for
motorhomers as that and Nokia phones is nother story on it's own.

Alan.

David Scholes

Sorry Alan but I think that your memory is very selective, possibly influenced by the fact that you were a writer of programs in DOS and your failure to mention that both DOS and windows were both owned by Microsoft who also wrote IBM OS2 which was really just a different version of windows,
makes some of your comments seem rather peculiar.

David

On 18 Dec 2020, at 17:02, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Elwyn

On 18/12/2020 21:34, David Scholes wrote:
Sorry Alan but I think that your memory is very selective, possibly influenced by the fact that you were a writer of programs in DOS and your failure to mention that both DOS and windows were both owned by Microsoft who also wrote IBM OS2 which was really just a different version of windows,
makes some of your comments seem rather peculiar.
1985-1989 Microsoft and IBM collaborated on OS2 and managed the command line interface but in 1990 they split up. IBM carried on with OS2 and OS2 V3 Warp using their own graphical user interface. This was about the time where Micrsoft launched Windows 3.

But MS then took its own path and IWM stayed more on the server side.

Elwyn
[...]

Ernest Bull

On 18 Dec 2020, at 17:02, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

Not wishing to continue an OS war - just a few comments from history.

A very observant summary of OS’s through the computer age, Alan. I didn’t go the PC route. I built my first computer in 1979. A PSI Comp 80, a Wireless World project  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSI_Comp_80 from a kit of parts by Powertran. It didn’t work, but I designed a logic probe, corrected a few circuit board errors, inverted one or two clock signals and by the time I got it working, I knew the Z80 instruction set off by heart and became a real-time computer control engineer and programmer.

Ever use a car park at Heathrow, JFK, Basildon? I created the Central Control Station for monitoring and controlling all of the machines (Entry, Pay-on-Foot and Exit.) as well as the Local Control Stations, in up to seven car parks in one town or location. Plus a remote in house monitoring system to check and correct software faults in any or all of our customers’ car parks via the www. Saved sending a man down from Bristol. Not bad for the mid ‘80s, eh?

I also designed the sequence controllers and plant interfaces for Culham Lab's first attempt at nuclear fusion. It didn’t work, but I see that they are still at it.
_______

ErnB