Three Word APP

Ernest Bull

Well, I’ve used addresses, postcodes, and map references to find places on a map, but I came across the Three Word APP in a detective novel. It seems that the whole map of the world has been divided up into 3M square boxes and each one has been identified with three words. IMTS, it won’t just find an aire, it will point to a pair of parking spots. Has anyone on the list ever used it?

I tried loading it, but I always get so much agro trying to get into Google Play. I have to get a new password every damned time. Last time, Norton created a 22 digit one, but Google don’t like it no more. Sorry if OT.
———

ErnB

Adrian Harman

Hi Ernie

I use “What 3Words” a lot it pinpoints specific spots if you’re meeting friends they can see exactly where you are. But it’s best value is for emergencies. My niece was in a field tending her horse when her waters broke and worse. She had to be helicoptered to hospital and nearly lost her life and the babies. What3 words can save the emergency services very important time. 
I’m a big believer and also used it to plan our last holiday around the country pinpointing camp sites, walks and much more. 

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

On 11 Nov 2021, 18:05 +0000, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...>, wrote:
Well, I’ve used addresses, postcodes, and map references to find places on a map, but I came across the Three Word APP in a detective novel. It seems that the whole map of the world has been divided up into 3M square boxes and each one has been identified with three words. IMTS, it won’t just find an aire, it will point to a pair of parking spots. Has anyone on the list ever used it?

I tried loading it, but I always get so much agro trying to get into Google Play. I have to get a new password every damned time. Last time, Norton created a 22 digit one, but Google don’t like it no more. Sorry if OT.
———

ErnB

Mike

Adrian, have though of going down this route but quite how do you know what 3 words denote your location, is it automatically generated for your location & how would I know them for location I’ve never visited ? Ernie’s (& others issues) have put me off downloading the app

Mike

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Harman
Sent: 11 November 2021 18:20
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Three Word APP

Hi Ernie

I use “What 3Words” a lot it pinpoints specific spots if you’re meeting friends they can see exactly where you are. But it’s best value is for emergencies. My niece was in a field tending her horse when her waters broke and worse. She had to be helicoptered to hospital and nearly lost her life and the babies. What3 words can save the emergency services very important time. 
I’m a big believer and also used it to plan our last holiday around the country pinpointing camp sites, walks and much more. 

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Carol Weaver

I’ve tried it. I don’t like it. It will give three different words for my house!!! Accurate!  

Tbh I also read that mishearing words (different accents!) has caused problems with police and ambulances. Which is understandable. 

I’ll stick with gosh

Carol

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 at 11:19, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Adrian, have though of going down this route but quite how do you know what 3 words denote your location, is it automatically generated for your location & how would I know them for location I’ve never visited ? Ernie’s (& others issues) have put me off downloading the app

Mike

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Harman

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

michael moloney

I hope I'm not butting in but I can explain how I use W3W. When I open the app it shows a map. On the map is a grid each square has its own name so, for instance, my house has about thirty of them depending where I am sitting at the time. At the top is the name of the square that the cursor is pointing at. You can input various info such as post codes into that box and the view will change to that area.

You can then select which square you would like to be directed to. Then I select 'navigate'

My phone is linked to my Garmin satnav so the route can be sent to it.

The post code I live in is about a mile across but W3W helps refine the route for anyone who does not know exactly where we live.

Mike (another one)

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> on behalf of Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...>
Sent: 13 November 2021 11:19
To: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io>

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Adrian Harman

Hi all

I find it very accurate. Remember it is a 3mt square so your front door might be on one square or another. But a post code can be 10 houses or more. I even have used it to show a delivery driver where the box is at the side of the bungalow to leave a parcel. 
The app allocated the 3 words so when you open the app it opens a map and gos pinpoints you or can click on any square to give you the what 3 words address. A lot of car manufacturers are now including the facility in their Sat navs

Anyway each to their own. I wouldn’t be without it. 

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

On 13 Nov 2021, 11:43 +0000, michael moloney <cronkle1@...>, wrote:
I hope I'm not butting in but I can explain how I use W3W. When I open the app it shows a map. On the map is a grid each square has its own name so, for instance, my house has about thirty of them depending where I am sitting at the time. At the top is the name of the square that the cursor is pointing at. You can input various info such as post codes into that box and the view will change to that area.

You can then select which square you would like to be directed to. Then I select 'navigate'

The post code I live in is about a mile across but W3W helps refine the route for anyone who does not know exactly where we live.

Mike (another one)

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> on behalf of Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...>

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Roy Coldrick

I agree with Adrian. It is brilliant - with some flaws yes but overall very useful.
I accept Carol saying that it is easy to misunderstand voice input but typing an address isn’t so difficult. The clever thing in my view is that when the 3word addresses were created it was designed to be error tolerant. What this means is that when you type an incorrect word - such as using a plural - ‘tables’ instead of ‘table’ the address is a location miles away .
For example we are at 
Promise.resists.foreheads
If you enter that you will get a location . If however you typed the address incorrectly by , for example, leaving the ‘s’ off the last word then it identify locations in Australia or Denmark. Frankly even the dumbest delivery driver should realise that was a mistake. This feature is not by accident , it was designed that way. Apparently there are some , but very few, locations where the ‘error’ location is close enough for there to be ambiguity but these occasions are rare.
I also understand that the more remote areas of the world have , in general , been allocated longer words which makes sense I suppose unless you are the postman in the Lofoten Islands.

In our village the postcodes are wrong for 50% of the village. Wrong in that they are illogically allocated. Of course new housing can complicate matters in that respect . So I always insist on giving my w3w address and sometimes the delivery man is grateful.

The way that w3w suggest you use the app is to first show the vector map - the default one. With this you can roughly identify a location but it has to be remembered that the vector map is , I think, ‘Opensource’ , created by users - ie you and I can add to the map by adding roads etc not already covered but that is prone to errors but more importantly inaccuracy. For that reason, w3w suggest that having identified an approximate location you change to the satellite view map which is accurate and allows minor adjustment to the location. 
As was said earlier , once you have identified where to go on the w3w app you simply press NAVIGATE . At this point w3w checks your phone and identifies those apps with built in navigation features . It then is your choice as to which you use.
Finally to Carol - what is Gosh?

Roy

On 13 Nov 2021, at 12:47, Adrian Harman <adrianharman@...> wrote:

Hi all

I find it very accurate. Remember it is a 3mt square so your front door might be on one square or another. But a post code can be 10 houses or more. I even have used it to show a delivery driver where the box is at the side of the bungalow to leave a parcel. 
The app allocated the 3 words so when you open the app it opens a map and gos pinpoints you or can click on any square to give you the what 3 words address. A lot of car manufacturers are now including the facility in their Sat navs

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

Mike (another one)

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Carol Weaver

Hi Roy

My recollection is you were first to mention the w3w years ago

GOSH?  I Didn’t know, I had to go back to find the email, another typo, it should have read GPS

Carol

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 at 13:43, Roy Coldrick <roy.coldrick@...> wrote:
I agree with Adrian. It is brilliant - with some flaws yes but overall very useful.
I accept Carol saying that it is easy to misunderstand voice input but typing an address isn’t so difficult. The clever thing in my view is that when the 3word addresses were created it was designed to be error tolerant. What this means is that when you type an incorrect word - such as using a plural - ‘tables’ instead of ‘table’ the address is a location miles away .
For example we are at 
Promise.resists.foreheads
If you enter that you will get a location . If however you typed the address incorrectly by , for example, leaving the ‘s’ off the last word then it identify locations in Australia or Denmark. Frankly even the dumbest delivery driver should realise that was a mistake. This feature is not by accident , it was designed that way. Apparently there are some , but very few, locations where the ‘error’ location is close enough for there to be ambiguity but these occasions are rare.
I also understand that the more remote areas of the world have , in general , been allocated longer words which makes sense I suppose unless you are the postman in the Lofoten Islands.

In our village the postcodes are wrong for 50% of the village. Wrong in that they are illogically allocated. Of course new housing can complicate matters in that respect . So I always insist on giving my w3w address and sometimes the delivery man is grateful.

The way that w3w suggest you use the app is to first show the vector map - the default one. With this you can roughly identify a location but it has to be remembered that the vector map is , I think, ‘Opensource’ , created by users - ie you and I can add to the map by adding roads etc not already covered but that is prone to errors but more importantly inaccuracy. For that reason, w3w suggest that having identified an approximate location you change to the satellite view map which is accurate and allows minor adjustment to the location. 
As was said earlier , once you have identified where to go on the w3w app you simply press NAVIGATE . At this point w3w checks your phone and identifies those apps with built in navigation features . It then is your choice as to which you use.
Finally to Carol - what is Gosh?

Roy

On 13 Nov 2021, at 12:47, Adrian Harman <adrianharman@...> wrote:

Hi all

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

Mike (another one)

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> on behalf of Mike via groups.io <mike.egff=btinternet.com@groups.io>

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

--
--
Sign up for SMUGMUG here: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=ETh4Jkg1xE0KE

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Richard

Based upon the size of your house there can be many 3W. My lounge is at deputy.moved.congratulations however my best choice as I have just had a replacement hip is doctor.orders.limp, which takes you to my "back door".
Richard

On 13/11/2021 11:32, Carol Weaver wrote:
I’ve tried it. I don’t like it. It will give three different words for my house!!! Accurate!  

Tbh I also read that mishearing words (different accents!) has caused problems with police and ambulances. Which is understandable. 

I’ll stick with gosh

Carol

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 at 11:19, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

--
--

Roy Coldrick

Richard
It is clear that by moving your ‘desired’ location a square or two , you can get some more relevant words. I noticed that the Premier Inn Hotel at Barnwood ; not far from you, has the 3w as : offer.thick.hotels. Perhaps it’s a shame we can’t create our own alias 3 words , a big like personalised number plates.
I wonder who would buy : chemist.sheffield.Motorhome

Roy

On 14 Nov 2021, at 13:32, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:

orders

Mike

Adrian, just re-visited the site & see how it works clearly now. Have tried a few samples of places I’m familiar with & it looks good. Post codes are less accurate than my dart throwing, may well proceed down this route if you pardon the pun.

Mike K

Sent: 13 November 2021 12:47

Hi all

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

Mike (another one)

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Adrian Harman

Hi all. 
Further to the discussion re What3Words several car manufacturers are now putting the facility into their new car Sat navs. 
I certainly think that it is a really useful tool for Motorhomes. Even down to if you park in an area you don’t know at all you can very easily save the W3W address to easily get bac to your van. We recently went on a long walk from the van at a couple of points I used  it to log where we had turned etc. 

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

On 15 Nov 2021, 11:37 +0000, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...>, wrote:

Adrian, just re-visited the site & see how it works clearly now. Have tried a few samples of places I’m familiar with & it looks good. Post codes are less accurate than my dart throwing, may well proceed down this route if you pardon the pun.

Mike K

Hi all

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

Mike (another one)

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Peter S

My walking club is now starting to include it in the locations of walk starting points.

Peter S

On 23/11/2021 09:53:32, Adrian Harman via groups.io <adrianharman@...> wrote:

Hi all. 
Further to the discussion re What3Words several car manufacturers are now putting the facility into their new car Sat navs. 
I certainly think that it is a really useful tool for Motorhomes. Even down to if you park in an area you don’t know at all you can very easily save the W3W address to easily get bac to your van. We recently went on a long walk from the van at a couple of points I used  it to log where we had turned etc. 

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman
On 15 Nov 2021, 11:37 +0000, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...>, wrote:

Mike K

Hi all

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

Mike (another one)

Mike

Hi Ernie

Kind Regards

Adrian Harman

———

ErnB

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Alan Morris

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 09:53, Adrian Harman <adrianharman@...> wrote:

I certainly think that it is a really useful tool for Motorhomes. Even down to if you park in an area you don’t know at all you can very easily save the W3W address to easily get bac to your van. We recently went on a long walk from the van at a couple of points I used it to log where we had turned etc.
I can't see this illogical system being much use for motorhoming.
When I park our car or motorhome, I save a waypoint on one of our GPS
devices to be able to find our way back to the vehicle. We've been
doing this since 1996. Going back to the same place in the future is
easy with other systems, but not this system.

With a small error in a logically organised system like a Lat/Long or
NGR, it is relatively easy to work out the error. But impossible with
this method.

There is no organised order in this system for long term use. But I
accept that for some, they find it does what they want.

Alan.