End of an era maybe

Steve Pyke

Hi,
After twenty eight enjoyable years of motorhoming we are thinking about selling our van, a Weinsberg Caracompact 600MEG 2015 model 22520 miles while the market is still good for sellers (I hope!)

This is mainly because of health problems and we have hardly used it except for days out into Peak District this summer.

I can't believe how much stuff I've taken out of it's garage!

The question is what is the best way to sell: Private which I'm cautious to do reading about the scammers, to a dealer for cash, probably for a shockingly low price, or by dealer brokerage which again I have read can be problematic and take a long time.

Looking at the prices dealers are asking it has hardly depreciated in six years.

Anyway have anyone in the group have any advice or even know someone who is looking for a motorhome??

I'll keep our website motorhomeandaway.com running for a while as we may return to the fold one day.

Take care and enjoy your travels

Steve and Sheila Pyke

Bennett Family

Steve,

Sorry to hear this & I hope your health problems improve.

Over the years I’ve tried most of the selling options and they all have their disadvantages.

Selling to a dealer is the easiest, quickest and generally you get the least, but it’s pretty secure and if you are dealing with a reputable company you will get what they said provided your van is as you describe it.

Private - should maximise your return as long as you are realistic, people expect to pay less than from a dealer as they have no come back/ guarantee etc. It can take a long time and you can waste a lot of time showing people and then waiting for decisions and everyone expects to haggle about the price etc. Then you have the problem of dealing with the payment side. Much easier these days than when I sold an American RV to someone in a Scunthorpe pub car park. The guy had Coe fro Germany to buy it and was returning from Hull with the van that night. He brought a suitcase with half the amount in and a Banker’s Draft for the rest. It was a Saturday and we rushed to Meadowhall to pay in £23k just in case it was funny money!  Not good for the nerves.

Brokerage - I’ve not tried the latest incarnation, but in the mists of time dealers would “sell” your van for you and I did try that. Agreed a price for me to get, but they then priced mine very high to make the stock they owned look good value for money. After a month or so I removed it from them - just as well as they went bust just after and had sold a lot of vans without returning any money to the persons owning them. Subsequently the police visited me because they had taken an HP agreement out on my van!

To sum up, they are all ok but take care and walk away from any potential deal if you don’t feel completely happy with it or the people you are dealing with it.

Good luck

Martin
PS doesn’t seem 5 minutes since we were both buying our vans fro Premium - not used ours much this year either - mainly day trips.

On 21 Oct 2021, at 15:57, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke@...> wrote:

[...]

Derek Sims

Hello Steve

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice on the selling front. This is just to wish you both all the best in the future and to thank you for all the practical advice I've gleaned from your posts over the years.

Best wishes

Derek

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 3:57 PM
From: "Steve Pyke via groups.io" <esspyke@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] End of an era maybe
[...]

Thanks for your advice Martin and messages of thanks from others.

We have just sold our Weinsberg to a small dealer based near Doncaster.

It was a pretty painless exercise and the price we got worked out at less than 20% depreciation over six and a half years so can't complain.

We have been doing some analysis and in 29 years of motorhoming we have had five motorhomes, stayed away from home for about five years,  the longest being 100 nights in 2015, and this year only 14 nights. We have toured as far as Slovenia, Germany, Portugal and many nights in France.

I haven't dared tot up the amount we've spent!

Our CMC and CCC subs aren't due for renewal until March so we will review the situation then.

The large empty space on the drive will grate for a while but we have many pleasant memories in log books, photos and on our website.

We met a few of the group many years ago at a couple of rallies, in particular meeting Andy and Don at a rugby ground in Hull.

We are planning some trips out in the future thanks to Airbnb etc and will stay on the list for the time being.

Enjoy your travels when and while you can!

Steve and Sheila

Bennett Family

Well done Steve.

I expect to see you with a small van next year then - just for the odd day trips, weekends, perhaps the odd week etc ;-)

Good luck,

Martin
PS I would be interesting to hear how you find Airbnb compared to motorhoming. My wife always fancies the idea, but I’m not so keen - I like all my own kit and the illusion that I can take off anywhere at anytime.

On 3 Nov 2021, at 10:13, Steve Pyke via groups.io <esspyke@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Weaver

Steve here’s to you both when you start your new era   I’m sure and hope you will continue to post on here as we would like to know how you find ABNB

Incidentally Nigel uses it in the States and seems always to find nice places

Carol