TomTom On-Line Deals

Ernest Bull

For you TomTom fans who can’t wait to remove the Covid clamps to be unlocked: -

Sorry, no tiny link. TinyURL has gone all Bolshy.

Ernie it appears it can now only be 30 characters long!!!  What use is it now!  They call this progress!!!

Carol

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 08:59, Ernest Bull <ernb32@...> wrote:
For you TomTom fans who can’t wait to remove the Covid clamps to be unlocked: -

Sorry, no tiny link. TinyURL has gone all Bolshy.

Brent

Hi Carol

What  did you end up with sat nav wise please?

Best wishes

Brent

Thanks for link Ern but I do wonder if lashing out couple of hundred quid is wise at the moment.
It could be out of guarantee by the time we can use them!!!?
Take care all

Carol Weaver

Long story - Bought the Garmin 785 I liked it BUT did not work with Mac and after 14 months Garmin agreed a full refund - I had had new lead and a replacement gps but still no good. But 100% after long hassle with them

Decided on Amazon due to my experience if things didn’t work they would refund straightaway. So

1 Ordered TomTom Camper and had same problems as it now appears they are all using Android system and not considering Mac users

I have to say the problems only come it you want to put your own POIs on. Not everyone does.

I had to borrow next door’s new cheap JML tablet (she’d not used) to put Garmin Express and POI loader (and remove them afterwards).

So I wasn’t happy with TomTom so more research and decided to try Garmin 51LMT and  Garmin DriveSmart 65 MT-S 6.95”

In many ways the 51 was good but screen too small. So finally returned TomTom and the 51 to Amazon. Within taking them to send them back nr Padstow the money was refunded by time I got home!!!

But of course not been able to use it as stuck in lockdown

Therefore I would wait to buy.

I think if you are a Garmin I think you are likely to prefer them likewise for TomTom

Carol

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 11:20, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

But of course not been able to use it as stuck in lockdown

Therefore I would wait to buy.
The problem of waiting is that delaying too long will cost more to buy.

Covid and brexit together are causing end - user price increases.

Now that we are not in the EU, manufacturers in the EU now have to
send without charging local VAT. Thus DHL and probably the Post
Office, now has to get from the customer the UK VAT of 20%, before
delivery. Naturally they don't do this for free. So an extra cost.
I know of one EU ham radio manufacturer who will now not deal with UK
local dealers, due to the problems brexit had caused to him.

Buying through companies will eventually see similar increases for the
same reason. UK companies are also seeing more costs due to brexit.
Certain items that I bought within the last year have also gone up by
noticeable amounts.

Then eventually, the costs of Covid as the government will need to
increase taxes. Although VAT is an EU tax, I expect that the biggest
increase in taxation will come through VAT, which the UK government
will keep.

So "Buy Now To Save", should be our slogan!

Alan.

Brent

Hi Carol

Thank you very much for detailed reply

Must admit I've always been a TomTom guy but have read good reports about Garmin

What I don't like about TomTom is they withdraw support far too early - I've got the TomTom 1005 Camper version but have had problems (along with a lot of other owners!!) after TomTom did a supposed upgrade

I realise and appreciate TomTom need to have a turn-over of sales but don't think they do in the correct way - they don't forewarn you of withdrawing support!!

Take care ALL

Brent

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info - I hadn't looked at it from that angle

Basically they have us screwed each way!!!

Take care ALL

Alan Morris

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 09:52, Brent <brentiow.c@gmail.com> wrote:

Must admit I've always been a TomTom guy but have read good reports about Garmin

What I don't like about TomTom is they withdraw support far too early - I've got the TomTom 1005 Camper version but have had problems (along with a lot of other owners!!) after TomTom did a supposed upgrade
I've had only two TomToms, the first bought after my Garmin 2610
failed due to heavy use and old age. The Garmin claimed replacement,
a 765T, could never be considered a true replacement as it lacked so
many features of the 2610. (Carol has owned both.) So I bought the
TomTom with claimed regularly updated maps, which I updated just
before going to France. In France I found that these maps were older
than a handheld Garmin that had maps that were three years old!

One section had me driving about 300 metres to the east of the road I
was navigating on. The voice kept telling me to turn left and right
every few yards as it attempted to get me on to the road I was
actually on. I bought TomToms first camper GPSr, but it was only a
truck version with a different name. So back to Garmin.

My first Garmin, a GPS-75, bought in 1976, started to hang out of
warranty. Fortunately Garmin replaced it with a refurbished one for
free.

More recently my Garmin GPSMAP 276Cx bricked itself during an update.
I removed the battery to reduce weight and returned only the GPSr.
Within about 4 days, I received a brand new complete package. Now
that's excellent service. So I now have a spare everything, including
the battery.

Garmin however are no longer very good with their Windows/Mac based
software. But I guess the likes of me (collectors of waypoints and
tracks) are now few and far between and this software gets little use.
It's now all about sharing FIT and current location, much loved by
younger folk.

What’s FIT Alan?

Carol

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 17:03, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 09:52, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

> Must admit I've always been a TomTom guy but have read good reports about Garmin
>
> What I don't like about TomTom is they withdraw support far too early - I've got the TomTom 1005 Camper version but have had problems (along with a lot of other owners!!) after TomTom did a supposed upgrade

I've had only two TomToms, the first bought after my Garmin 2610
failed due to heavy use and old age.  The Garmin claimed replacement,
a 765T, could never be considered a true replacement as it lacked so
many features of the 2610.  (Carol has owned both.)  So I bought the
TomTom with claimed regularly updated maps, which I updated just
before going to France.  In France I found that these maps were older
than a handheld Garmin that had maps that were three years old!

One section had me driving about 300 metres to the east of the road I
was navigating on.  The voice kept telling me to turn left and right
every few yards as it attempted to get me on to the road I was
actually on.  I bought TomToms first camper GPSr, but it was only a
truck version with a different name.  So back to Garmin.

My first Garmin, a GPS-75, bought in 1976, started to hang out of
warranty.  Fortunately Garmin replaced it with a refurbished one for
free.

More recently my Garmin GPSMAP 276Cx bricked itself during an update.
I removed the battery to reduce weight and returned only the GPSr.
Within about 4 days, I received a brand new complete package.  Now
that's excellent service.  So I now have a spare everything, including
the battery.

Garmin however are no longer very good with their Windows/Mac based
software.  But I guess the likes of me (collectors of waypoints and
tracks) are now few and far between and this software gets little use.
It's now all about sharing FIT and current location, much loved by
younger folk.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 23:08, Carol Weaver <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

What’s FIT Alan?
On a GPSr we had waypoints, tracks and routes. The youngsters now
have FIT files.

See:-

<https://developer.garmin.com/fit/overview/>

<https://www.google.com/fit/>

<https://www.fitbit.com/global/uk/home>

I’ll stay old. Why don’t they put the bits we want abc make them work with products they used to support

Carol