Jersey Postcard

Brent

Well done to you all. Absolutely fantastic account of what I think we'll have to go through in our travels for some time to come.
Enjoy every minute and stay safe
A very envious Brent family from too hot Isle of Wight

Mick Potter

Thank you for this, Derek. I found it very interesting. I look forward to continuation of the saga.

Bests

Mick

Carol Weaver

So pleased you made it safely and negative to boot.  Have a wonderful time with your family and new granddaughter.  Thank you for your update and love to Tish too

Carol

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 07:00, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

Well, we made It!
Brought the visit forward a week because of our fear of what Bodger Boris and his merry men would do next. Slow ferry from Portsmouth last Friday at 9am. 12 cars and one motorhome (us). Very easy to keep apart & not wear a muzzle. Only fly in the ointment a new requirement to have a swab test on arrival. Free movement until result known 48 Hrs after the test, which made a farce of the process. 14 days self-isolation if the test showed positive. We decided not to see the family until we had the results, which meant risking not seeing them at all.
Plenty of time sunbathing on deck during the crossing with the breeze from the movement to mitigate the 32C heat during the10hr crossing.
Guernsey, which has had no deaths, has imposed a 14-day quarantine on all arrivals including residents so not too many holidaymakers disembarking there! 3 or 4 local cars left there and about 9 joined, but we were still stopped for an hour because of all the artic trailers that were off-loaded, to be replaced by empties to be returned to the UK. Watching this daily operation from above and admiring the skill of the team doing it reminded of what a vital lifeline the ferries are in enabling islands like Guernsey to have a lfestyle approaching that of the mainland. A reminder too of modern UK's vulnerability.
Swab testing at St Helier held us up half an hour and it's hard to see why it couldn't have been done at Portsmouth during the one and a half hour wait after last check-in time before loading, or on the ferry.
By 8pm we were hooking-up at the Hideaway Stopover and soon after Dave and Carolyn turned up to welcome us back and say goodbye to family from Nottingham in a lovely old restored A Class, who left on Saturday for Poole. Dave and Carolyn don't live on the site but somewhere nearby, although they own the site land, including a bungalow and motorhome storage area, which probably makes them multi-millionaires, such is the price of real estate on Jersey. However, they're just an ordinary, very friendly pair of keen motorhomers who like the aires so much they created one at home.
On Saturday, while waiting for the results, we enjoyed the sun. caught up on rest and revisited old favourite spots, ending up cooking our meal at the free parking on the surfing beach of St Ouen's. (Woolacombe parking is now £10 per day, Jersey is nearly all free, or very cheap). Lots of people about, hardly any muzzled, except on the buses. Feels very different from England.
On Sunday morning we got the news that we tested .......negative! so in the afternoon we were able to meet up with the family on the beach, give them all a hug and finally meet our new granddaughter , now five months old, that the lock-up had stopped us seeing at one week. Her three year-old sister was a bit shy at first. having almost forgotten us, but that soon disappeared after a good sandcastle building session.
Our next hurdle will be in two weeks time - will we be allowed into France and what will we find there?
Stay tuned & Stay sane
Rgds to all
Derek
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Attachments:

Ernest Bull

On 11 Aug 2020, at 07:00, Derek Sims <derek.sims@gmx.com> wrote:

Well, we made It!
Nice account of the virus induced problems, Derek.

To my mind, the biggest threat lies not in any of Bodger Boris’s actions before leaving Blighty, it’s what he and his biased advisers may implement while away. 14 days isolation in Jersey is one thing, but what if your holiday destination should experience a peak and you are not allowed back home again?

Liked the picture. Reminds us of our endlessly happy times in Europe.

Enjoy!!!
________

Copy that. Interesting and entertaining read.

Campervan Tim

On 11/08/2020, Bennett Family via groups.io
<martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Derek,

Thanks - a great report and congratulations on making it. Looking forward to
reading of the onwards journey to St Malo.

Martin
[...]

20200809_174203~2.jpg

On 11 Aug 2020, at 07:00, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

[...]

Derek Sims