Topics

Van Respray

Mick Potter

We have an Adria Maxivan, a 10yo converted Fiat Ducato hi-top panel van.  We want to have a respray - the original Fiat paintwork is a Friday afternoon job. Before I start looking for someone to do the respray, I could do with a few bits of advice.

Has anyone experience of having a respray?  Would a 'bog standard' car/van resprayer be OK, or is it worthwhile going to someone with motorhome experience?

Does anyone have any recommendations, preferably (but not necessarily) within easy striking distance of East Hampshire?

Anything else?

TIA for the help.

Mick

=================
Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@....  Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, and to disappear at a moment's notice.  I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.

I'm Bazbro

Consider having it done at a boat yard.  They often have facilities for dealing with "big" vehicles like ours and are often overlooked by motorhomers.
Barry

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 1:22 pm Mick Potter, <mickpotter@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Madge

Mick we had our Fiat Timberland resprayed the paint job was very good but the problems started when inexperienced workers started refitting the windows,solar panels, roof vents and other external panels.
We trusted Timberland to the job but they got the local Fiat agent to dd the job. It took months to get it sorted.

I think it might be wise to visit some of the larger dealers who have their own spray shop.

Good luck.

Don

Alan Morris

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 12:22, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

We want to have a respray - the original Fiat paintwork is a Friday afternoon job. Before I start looking for someone to do the respray, I could do with a few bits of advice.
Mick do you have to worry about adding extra items because of weight?
Paint is very heavy.

Alan.

David McGarry

Hi, I took mine to a commercial lorry repairers for a spray to front and rear - they use ‘proper paint’ not the water based rubbish that car sprayers have to use.
Dave

charlie.green@...

When I needed some paint work redone I also had to take it to a place that dealt with commercial repairs as the 'oven' area where they cure the paint wasn't big enough at your average car repair place.

Mick Potter

All,

Thank you all for the advice. It looks like it's worth tracking down someone who knows about handling motorhomes, rather than the cheapest sprayer in the area.

Thanks again.

Mick

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 19:01, charlie.green@...
<charlie.green@...> wrote:
When I needed some paint work redone I also had to take it to a place that dealt with commercial repairs as the 'oven' area where they cure the paint wasn't big enough at your average car repair place.

Carol Weaver

Most definitely with these things. Coach companies can also be looked at

Carol