Topics

Need a Sat-Nav?


Ernest Bull
 

Lidl have a Garmin on offer at £90. Give or take a penny.

—————

ErnB


Elwyn
 

On 06/07/2020 15:56, Ernest Bull wrote:
Lidl have a Garmin on offer at £90. Give or take a penny.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-essentials/garmin-drive-5-pro-eu-sat-nav/p33073
—————
ErnB
_._,_._,_
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surely its reccomended to have a specific one for motorhomers?

I've got a Garmin Dezl but I do drive larger vehicles. I'm guessing that no one is much worried about worrying about that stuff on top of your van ;)

You might not think there are many low bridges around but its also the class of road. My company Co-Pilot satnav the other day routed me out to the eastern edge of Lincoln to the A15 bypass the other day. Impressive as it's not been built yet.

Perhaps just updates getting ahead of themselves? But to get back from that it tried to take me down a B road. Which I'm not doing in an artic :o But they also might be too narrow for some of your MHs, and its always worth considering when getting a purchase like this.

If you're prepared and not bothered about that as your navigator is alwys on hand with the map to verify your route and assist you then you've not got much to worry about ;)

Elwyn


Carol Weaver
 

Just before Christmas I bought the Garmin 785 Camper - virtually same as Dezi as far as I could see but fir Motorhomes. 

I started with a Streetpilot, then the first Nuvi and then the 785T. None of those were for mhs but cars. I always looked ahead on the paper map for low bridges and only got caught once when we had been diverted but managed to get ourselves out of the mess in a city somewhere.  

This is the first trip with this new one due to lockdown but so far so good but I’ve brought the 785 with me just in case!  

That’s by the way over 30 years. Must admit haven’t had one from start but since 2000 anyway.  Alan might remember when I contacted him with streetpilot and no maps for abroad!!!  Hadn’t realised you had to download them in segments. 

Boy they’ve come a long way but the streetpilot at least had to me a better way of choosing roads than today. 

C

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 11:11, Elwyn <webforum.emails@...> wrote:
On 06/07/2020 15:56, Ernest Bull wrote:
> Lidl have a Garmin on offer at £90. Give or take a penny.
>
> https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-essentials/garmin-drive-5-pro-eu-sat-nav/p33073
> —————
>
> ErnB
> _._,_._,_
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely its reccomended to have a specific one for motorhomers?

I've got a Garmin Dezl but I do drive larger vehicles. I'm guessing that
no one is much worried about worrying about that stuff on top of your van ;)

You might not think there are many low bridges around but its also the
class of road. My company Co-Pilot satnav the other day routed me out to
the eastern edge of Lincoln to the A15 bypass the other day. Impressive
as it's not been built yet.

Perhaps just updates getting ahead of themselves? But to get back from
that it tried to take me down a B road. Which I'm not doing in an artic
:o But they also might be too narrow for some of your MHs, and its
always worth considering when getting a purchase like this.

If you're prepared and not bothered about that as your navigator is
alwys on hand with the map to verify your route and assist you then
you've not got much to worry about ;)

Elwyn



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Trevor Mace
 

Just bought a second hand TomTom Trucker 6000 off Ebay. Came with Lifetime Europe map cover and Lifetime Traffic with it's own internal sim. Plugged it in to the PC and added it to my TomTom5100 I have for the car and magic!, all my places were added together with latest map.  I can now input my van dimensions.

Trevor


Brent
 

Hi Trevor

Hope you didn't pay too much for it - it's obsolete now!! (https://www.activegps.co.uk/tomtom-trucker-6000.htm) 

Only reason I'm posting is because I purchased the GO1005 camper version about 18-24 months ago, did an update and it's never worked properly again - loads on the TomTom web site about their software causing loads of problems!!

Take care Brent


Brent
 

Hi Carol

So what's Garmin actually like for backups and how long do they offer support to their products please?

Always been a TomTom fan until their software update "bricked" my Camper GO 1005!!!

Last m/h had TomTom built-in but don't think it was the m/h version - good old Fiat/Autotrail!!!

Many thanks Brent


Carol Weaver
 

Hi Brent

Exact years I can’t say. My original nuvi 350 no longer backs up. My 765T still perfectly ok and still used in car and brought with me just in case. New updates about 4 times a year. Alan is more likely to recall how old that is although I didn’t get it immediately it came out. 

The 785 Camper I bought in December so it’s really only on its first trip. But it updates over WiFi via my phone and Bluetooth and has its own app

They say it’s a lifetime for updates. I’ve had several on 785 since having it already

I didn’t like TomTom I had right before the streetpilot. We couldn’t here it in the A class

Carol


On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 18:53, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi Carol

So what's Garmin actually like for backups and how long do they offer support to their products please?

Always been a TomTom fan until their software update "bricked" my Camper GO 1005!!!

Last m/h had TomTom built-in but don't think it was the m/h version - good old Fiat/Autotrail!!!

Many thanks Brent

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


jtwebb1
 

Hi Carol,

Does your 785 get in a muddle over speed limits? My 760 keeps lowering the speed limit on junctions, 40 to 30 on a bit of road near me for example. It also insists that lorry limits apply if you put the weight below 3500kg to stop this annoying feature. Hence keep getting spurious warnings. It is also incredibly slow when using the route shaping facility.

John Webb


Carol Weaver
 

Tbh haven’t noticed it at all but I suspect I haven’t found all ways to use it

Our Dethleffs is under 3.5 t and I have input all measurements. Duncan is most likely to have decided a route he wants and therefore doesn’t always follow the gps- he always likes his route! - so it inevitably reroutes can take a while though.  But so far happy with it. The 785 is a large screen. 

Carol

On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 at 07:35, jtwebb1 <lists@...> wrote:
Hi Carol,

Does your 785 get in a muddle over speed limits? My 760 keeps lowering the speed limit on junctions, 40 to 30 on a bit of road near me for example. It also insists that lorry limits apply if you put the weight below 3500kg to stop this annoying feature. Hence keep getting spurious warnings. It is also incredibly slow when using the route shaping facility.

John Webb

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


jtwebb1
 

You would have noticed if it was applying lorry limits when you have said it is under 3.5t? Garmin say it is beyond their control as the data is in the maps. I argue that surely they don't have a completely set of maps for lorries. It is so annoying as I want warnings but not spurious warnings!


Alan Morris
 

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 07:20, jtwebb1 <lists@...> wrote:

Garmin say it is beyond their control as the data is in the maps. I argue that surely they don't have a completely set of maps for lorries.
Garmin get the speed limits and bridge heights from external
providers. Mainly HERE, and then convert the data to their own
formats. I did something similar for a 15 year period in the 1980s &
90s. The effort was in producing the conversion program. Then for
every new set of incoming data, they would simply run the conversion
program. Minor changes might be required from time to time. So very
little effort on the part of Garmin.

How Garmin applies the data in different GPSrs could introduce errors.

The problem these days is that their main income is no longer from
selling GPSrs but watches for fitness folk. So little money is
available for GPSr support.

It is so annoying as I want warnings but not spurious warnings!
Well that's been Garmin for many years. However generally superior than TomTom.


Alan.


timsinc Sinclair
 

On 12/07/2020, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

Well that's been Garmin for many years. However generally superior than
TomTom.
Here we enter Microsoft v Apple v Android sort of debate argued almost
on anecdotal evidence. As always it's that cliché horses for courses.
So happens, winning horses for me (not a 7m motorhome dweller but
5.3m) has been clear winner TomTom followed by Android (lately with no
MS PC in van).

Tim (the campervan one)


Ernest Bull
 

On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

 However generally superior than TomTom.

I cut my Motorhoming teeth in 2003 with TomTom s/w running on my little iPaq tablet thingy. I don’t think that it would have been such an easy step to driving on the wrong side of the road in a LHD MH. And it was absolutely faultless.

Over the next 15 years I had a succession of TomToms and ended up with a Garmin Camper 760. Apart from our Samsung dumb-as-a-rock Smart TV, it must be my most regretted purchase. It was totally counter-intuitive to work and although it’s traffic monitor promised to save me many frustrating miles of gridlock and delay, it did the exact opposite. I think that I reported being diverted through Heathrow’s warehouses and car parks and through a gridlocked the SE London because of a little delay at the M3/M25 junction. 

After that, I always took a TomTom 100 as a back-up and had to use it on may occasions.

What I really missed was the ability to go thru TomTom’s maps and select a destination. So simple and so convenient.
__________

ErnB


Brent
 

On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

 However generally superior than TomTom.
Then ErnB wrote:

ended up with a Garmin Camper 760.  it must be my most regretted purchase.

Well now I'm totally confused - doesn't take much!!!

So what Alan is your findings/conclusions for you statement please? - I'm bearing in mind ErnB's reply as I've always preferred being "driven" by TomTom 

Remember years ago we went down Devon way we had a TomTom (think it was on our iPAQ 3970 as yours Ern) and daughter had her Garmin, cut a long story short that whenever we tried Garmin we were "pushed" down one vehicle road/tracks with the roof getting bashed with overhanging trees etc - it was in darkness so was too late to abort once there as couldn't turn around/back-up!!!

If others have opinions would love to hear as well please

Very best wishes all, stay safe

Brent IoW


David Scholes
 

Hi Brent

I started with a TT 720. I loved the device but hated the Mac software and thought the screen too small, the hardware too slow and the updated maps absurdly expensive.
Now I have a Garmin 765 (I think) and a TT 6000 and something.
The TT is a good size and is fast enough and has free map updates but it doesn’t show aires etc with a little logo on the map like the 720 did and I don’t really like it.
The Garmin doesn’t show aires etc like little logos and it tries to kill me by taking me off the logical route and I hate it.
In the van I use my phone with Google maps to navigate and use the TT to do the talking (I am half deaf and can’t tell what Siri is saying so I have Tim doing the talking and watch the phone.
If they brought back the 720 with free map updates and a bigger box then I would buy one, otherwise I will continue using my phone with the free google maps and Camper Contact for £12 a year to find the sites.

David


On 13 Jul 2020, at 16:59, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

 However generally superior than TomTom.
Then ErnB wrote:

ended up with a Garmin Camper 760.  it must be my most regretted purchase.

Well now I'm totally confused - doesn't take much!!!

So what Alan is your findings/conclusions for you statement please? - I'm bearing in mind ErnB's reply as I've always preferred being "driven" by TomTom 

Remember years ago we went down Devon way we had a TomTom (think it was on our iPAQ 3970 as yours Ern) and daughter had her Garmin, cut a long story short that whenever we tried Garmin we were "pushed" down one vehicle road/tracks with the roof getting bashed with overhanging trees etc - it was in darkness so was too late to abort once there as couldn't turn around/back-up!!!

If others have opinions would love to hear as well please

Very best wishes all, stay safe

Brent IoW


Alan Morris
 

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 15:59, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

However generally superior than TomTom.

Then ErnB wrote:

ended up with a Garmin Camper 760. it must be my most regretted purchase.

Well now I'm totally confused - doesn't take much!!!

So what Alan is your findings/conclusions for you statement please?
I bought my first GPS receiver 24 years ago in July 1996. It was a
Garmin GPS-75. In those days there were no maps, only a blank canvas
for the owner to add waypoints and add ones track in use and also
older tracks. It was first used with OS paper maps. Soon I was using
Palmtop (who later traded as TomTom) digital maps on Psion computers
to navigate. But limited to one country at a time - no border
crossings! For many years TomTom mapping software was the market
leader in Europe and I bought the first TomTom GPS receiver.

I bought a Garmin eMap GPSr and in 2004 bought Garmin's StreetPilot
2610. Probably Garmin's best 'state-of-the-art' ever. When it failed
due to old age and heavy use, I bought, as did Carol, a Garmin 765T.
Talking to Garmin at Southampton, they advised me that was equivalent
to a 2610, but it wasn't. Carol liked it but I didn't - different
types of usage.

I bought my second TomTom, their first for motorhomes. They claimed
that their maps were the most up-to-date and could be regularly
updated. Having updated the maps I travelled through France with the
TomTom and Garmin 765T. There were so many errors in the TomTom maps,
that I used a three year old Garmin handheld GPSr with it's old maps
and POIs, to find places.

On returning home I bought an S5000, can't remember it's make, but
although claimed to be designed for use in a motorhome, it was
impossible to set up for MH speed limits. So three GPSrs that were
unsuitable. Thus back to a Garmin, a 660 for use with a motorhome.

I've had a Hymer and two new cars with fitted GPS and although
reasonably OK, do not have the waypoint and tack features I need. The
Hymer one does announce reaching or going into a lower speed limit by
voice and that is very good.

My current GPSr is Garmin GPS 276cx. It is a re-introduction of their
old but very popular 276, using modern technology, however retaining
old-style mechanical buttons in preference to a touch screen.

The vehicle's GPS and 276cx are used on significant journeys. So I
get th\e best of both worlds.

All makes have their quirks and good points, it's knowing how to setup
the options to obtain what one wants.

Alan.


Carol Weaver
 

I think GPS’ are very subjective as we need them for different things. Alan has more Uses than I do

To Duncan they are really a means at end of trip to find exactly where we need to be but he still prefers to write out his map by hand to follow a route HE wants - neither fastest or shortest - generally more interesting.  

Me I set it to go where I want and generally follow it, but that’s more for local driving than in EU.  But do prefer to know my route

The 785 Camper can update over WiFi, can link to phone, browse and weather on it. I’m sure it does far more than I need tbh but I’m just learning this one 

Carol

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 21:44, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 15:59, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
>
>  However generally superior than TomTom.
>
> Then ErnB wrote:
>
> ended up with a Garmin Camper 760.  it must be my most regretted purchase.
>
> Well now I'm totally confused - doesn't take much!!!
>
> So what Alan is your findings/conclusions for you statement please?

I bought my first GPS receiver 24 years ago in July 1996.  It was a
Garmin GPS-75.  In those days there were no maps, only a blank canvas
for the owner to add waypoints and add ones track in use and also
older tracks.  It was first used with OS paper maps.  Soon I was using
Palmtop (who later traded as TomTom) digital maps on Psion computers
to navigate.  But limited to one country at a time - no border
crossings!  For many years TomTom mapping software was the market
leader in Europe and I bought the first TomTom GPS receiver.

I bought a Garmin eMap GPSr and in 2004 bought Garmin's StreetPilot
2610.  Probably Garmin's best 'state-of-the-art' ever.  When it failed
due to old age and heavy use, I bought, as did Carol, a Garmin 765T.
Talking to Garmin at Southampton, they advised me that was equivalent
to a 2610, but it wasn't.  Carol liked it but I didn't - different
types of usage.

I bought my second TomTom, their first for motorhomes.  They claimed
that their maps were the most up-to-date and could be regularly
updated.  Having updated the maps I travelled through France with the
TomTom and Garmin 765T.  There were so many errors in the TomTom maps,
that I used a three year old Garmin handheld GPSr with it's old maps
and POIs, to find places.

On returning home I bought an S5000, can't remember it's make, but
although claimed to be designed for use in a motorhome, it was
impossible to set up for MH speed limits.  So three GPSrs that were
unsuitable.  Thus back to a Garmin, a 660 for use with a motorhome.

I've had a Hymer and two new cars with fitted GPS and although
reasonably OK, do not have the waypoint and tack features I need.  The
Hymer one does announce reaching or going into a lower speed limit by
voice and that is very good.

My current GPSr is Garmin GPS 276cx.  It is a re-introduction of their
old but very popular 276, using modern technology, however retaining
old-style mechanical buttons in preference to a touch screen.

The vehicle's GPS and 276cx are used on significant journeys.  So I
get th\e best of both worlds.

All makes have their quirks and good points, it's knowing how to setup
the options to obtain what one wants.

Alan.



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Bennett Family
 

Carol, 

My test is the last part of the route from say Tesco In St Austell to Pentewan. If it routes you on the unclassified single track road with passing places that takes you through Porthpean and down Pentewan Hill (1in4) rather than the main B road route used by buses to Mevagissey then it fails my test. 

So far the Garmins that I have had have failed (Old & newer) and the old TomTom Truck passes but is no longer supported. I suspect the B&Q delivery truck that was stuck on that route for about 3 days was using Garmin and I’ve seen a number of motorhomes and caravans driven by ashen faced individuals emerge at the bottom. 

Last year I had to rescue a girl who had got out of her car half way up the hill and was too scared to continue. 

My first Sat Nav was from John Lewis. I can’t remember the model but it should have been called The Homing Pigeon because after about 50 miles it asked you to do a U turn and took you back home. They refunded the money. 

Martin


On 14 Jul 2020, at 08:54, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:


I think GPS’ are very subjective as we need them for different things. Alan has more Uses than I do

To Duncan they are really a means at end of trip to find exactly where we need to be but he still prefers to write out his map by hand to follow a route HE wants - neither fastest or shortest - generally more interesting.  

Me I set it to go where I want and generally follow it, but that’s more for local driving than in EU.  But do prefer to know my route

The 785 Camper can update over WiFi, can link to phone, browse and weather on it. I’m sure it does far more than I need tbh but I’m just learning this one 

Carol

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 21:44, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 15:59, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2020, at 18:26, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:
>
>  However generally superior than TomTom.
>
> Then ErnB wrote:
>
> ended up with a Garmin Camper 760.  it must be my most regretted purchase.
>
> Well now I'm totally confused - doesn't take much!!!
>
> So what Alan is your findings/conclusions for you statement please?

I bought my first GPS receiver 24 years ago in July 1996.  It was a
Garmin GPS-75.  In those days there were no maps, only a blank canvas
for the owner to add waypoints and add ones track in use and also
older tracks.  It was first used with OS paper maps.  Soon I was using
Palmtop (who later traded as TomTom) digital maps on Psion computers
to navigate.  But limited to one country at a time - no border
crossings!  For many years TomTom mapping software was the market
leader in Europe and I bought the first TomTom GPS receiver.

I bought a Garmin eMap GPSr and in 2004 bought Garmin's StreetPilot
2610.  Probably Garmin's best 'state-of-the-art' ever.  When it failed
due to old age and heavy use, I bought, as did Carol, a Garmin 765T.
Talking to Garmin at Southampton, they advised me that was equivalent
to a 2610, but it wasn't.  Carol liked it but I didn't - different
types of usage.

I bought my second TomTom, their first for motorhomes.  They claimed
that their maps were the most up-to-date and could be regularly
updated.  Having updated the maps I travelled through France with the
TomTom and Garmin 765T.  There were so many errors in the TomTom maps,
that I used a three year old Garmin handheld GPSr with it's old maps
and POIs, to find places.

On returning home I bought an S5000, can't remember it's make, but
although claimed to be designed for use in a motorhome, it was
impossible to set up for MH speed limits.  So three GPSrs that were
unsuitable.  Thus back to a Garmin, a 660 for use with a motorhome.

I've had a Hymer and two new cars with fitted GPS and although
reasonably OK, do not have the waypoint and tack features I need.  The
Hymer one does announce reaching or going into a lower speed limit by
voice and that is very good.

My current GPSr is Garmin GPS 276cx.  It is a re-introduction of their
old but very popular 276, using modern technology, however retaining
old-style mechanical buttons in preference to a touch screen.

The vehicle's GPS and 276cx are used on significant journeys.  So I
get th\e best of both worlds.

All makes have their quirks and good points, it's knowing how to setup
the options to obtain what one wants.

Alan.



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Neill King \(MH-List\)
 

How any of you manage to buy a car or even a washing machine is beyond me! J

 

Can’t say I’ve ever had a car / washing machine / oven / sat nav / pc / phone / camera that I thought was perfect but got used to their quirks, ignored (for the most part) the bits I didn’t like, and found ways to work around the rest.

 

Just in the interest of balance here and not wishing to start a ‘flame war’ I dislike TomTom (yes I’ve tried some), MACs, Hoover & Hotpoint and even my iPhone to some extent - but do favour Garmin. Like others I lament the old 2620 ‘preferred roads’ option but otherwise have been pretty satisfied with the 700/800 series. Mapping errors apart (on any brand) that is.

 

Any of them might take you down a lane if it isn’t mapped as narrow and this is common in rural locations. I do play with shortest / fastest settings even in mid trip to modify the satnav ‘suggestions’ and am averse to heading off unexpectedly down an unlikely looking lane in known difficult areas like parts of Devon & Cornwall. In pre-planning I will often put in a couple of waypoints to modify the route to be more to my liking. That said when feeling relaxed in some part of rural France I’ll set a cross country destination that isn’t too far away on ‘shortest’ and have enjoyed many memorable discoveries as a result! Have even reverted to car mode just for fun an to get off all those damn dual carriageways.

 

Life is for living not whinging!!

 

Happy travelling.

 

 

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

 

 


timsinc Sinclair
 

Interesting that my TomTom phone app just been updated - gave in after
nagging when trying to use it only locally while stranded in new-to-me
lockdown area. Seems to have a newish interface and requires
downloading new different maps. England, for example, divided up into
maps of different regions - I downloaded them all.

Will soon be able to try it out in anger, as at last I'm about to move on.

Campervan Tim