Topics

A man & a van


Bennett Family
 

I caught the last bit of this on R4Extra about a man doing a van review for “Your Motorhome Magazine”. Not had chance to listen to the rest yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b099yh8d

Martin


David Scholes
 

Sorry Martin. I listened to the first quarter and couldn’t stand any more.
No mention of vans of any sort up to then.

David

On 28 May 2020, at 21:13, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

I caught the last bit of this on R4Extra about a man doing a van review for “Your Motorhome Magazine”. Not had chance to listen to the rest yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b099yh8d

Martin



Bennett Family
 

Sorry I only caught the last bit where a policeman seemed to have woken him up for wild camping. I thought the first bit might be good. I’ll try listening to the rubbish bit tomorrow.

Martin

On 28 May 2020, at 22:31, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

Sorry Martin. I listened to the first quarter and couldn’t stand any more.
No mention of vans of any sort up to then.

David
On 28 May 2020, at 21:13, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

I caught the last bit of this on R4Extra about a man doing a van review for “Your Motorhome Magazine”. Not had chance to listen to the rest yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b099yh8d

Martin





Bennett Family
 

You have to start 18 minutes into the programme for the Motorhome bit.

Martin

On 28 May 2020, at 22:39, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sorry I only caught the last bit where a policeman seemed to have woken him up for wild camping. I thought the first bit might be good. I’ll try listening to the rubbish bit tomorrow.

Martin
On 28 May 2020, at 22:31, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

Sorry Martin. I listened to the first quarter and couldn’t stand any more.
No mention of vans of any sort up to then.

David
On 28 May 2020, at 21:13, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I caught the last bit of this on R4Extra about a man doing a van review for “Your Motorhome Magazine”. Not had chance to listen to the rest yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b099yh8d

Martin






Peter S
 

I take it that some have not heard Ed Reardon before. The programme is a regular on the BBC and IMHO is one of the funnier programmes they put out. It is not a serious programme about motorhomes so don't take it at face value.

See Wikipedia:-

"Ed Reardon's Week is a sitcom on BBC Radio 4 recorded semi-naturalistically in the style of a radio drama. It concerns the story of a curmudgeonly 50-something writer described in the show's publicity material as an "author, pipesmoker, consummate fare-dodger and master of the abusive email".

Peter S

-----Original Message-----
From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bennett Family via groups.io
Sent: 29 May 2020 07:58
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] A man & a van

You have to start 18 minutes into the programme for the Motorhome bit.

Martin
On 28 May 2020, at 22:39, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sorry I only caught the last bit where a policeman seemed to have woken him up for wild camping. I thought the first bit might be good. I’ll try listening to the rubbish bit tomorrow.

Martin
On 28 May 2020, at 22:31, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

Sorry Martin. I listened to the first quarter and couldn’t stand any more.
No mention of vans of any sort up to then.

David
On 28 May 2020, at 21:13, Bennett Family via groups.io <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I caught the last bit of this on R4Extra about a man doing a van review for “Your Motorhome Magazine”. Not had chance to listen to the rest yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b099yh8d

Martin









--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


timsinc Sinclair
 

I might be the only full-timer on this list but know that I am part of
a sizeable community of people who travel and live in vehicles for
months or years at a time - sometimes permanently. Sometimes called
"overlanders" or "vanlifers".

You might think equipped to live off-grid, we would be fine during a
lockdown. In reality, our lifestyle choice depends on the ability to
move around, camp, and access services like water, power, gas and
toilets from time to time.

Then regional and national borders close, campsites shut and wild
camping banned, "outsiders" discouraged. Told to #stayathome and,
well, it's complicated. Where's that?

I was in Spain when lockdown declared. Luckily I was at a remote
vinery where pitches and services were free. (Wine sales the obvious
return). For days and sleepless nights I self-debated. Eventually
after urging of FO, family and friends I made a fairly unimpeded dash
for "home" country.

Remembering at Calais I had a brother-in-law in south-east with good
size garden, there I headed. Been there using his utilities (inc
outside loo) now for two months. But still as a 'vanlifer' in my own
capsule. Meanwhile, Brit couple whose only home was their motorhome
and with whom had made good friends are still at the vinery, west of
Barcelona. Finding it strange that now other Spanish motorhomes are
turning up.

However, I'm nowhere as adventurous and have not suffered like the
couple who were in Argentina, the lead main example among other
vanlifers in this BBC long read:
BBC News - 'I left my campervan in Argentina'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52790108

Tim


Bennett Family
 

Tim,

The link was really interesting.

On balance I think you made a wise move in returning when you did.

Martin

On 31 May 2020, at 20:46, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I might be the only full-timer on this list but know that I am part of
a sizeable community of people who travel and live in vehicles for
months or years at a time - sometimes permanently. Sometimes called
"overlanders" or "vanlifers".

You might think equipped to live off-grid, we would be fine during a
lockdown. In reality, our lifestyle choice depends on the ability to
move around, camp, and access services like water, power, gas and
toilets from time to time.

Then regional and national borders close, campsites shut and wild
camping banned, "outsiders" discouraged. Told to #stayathome and,
well, it's complicated. Where's that?

I was in Spain when lockdown declared. Luckily I was at a remote
vinery where pitches and services were free. (Wine sales the obvious
return). For days and sleepless nights I self-debated. Eventually
after urging of FO, family and friends I made a fairly unimpeded dash
for "home" country.

Remembering at Calais I had a brother-in-law in south-east with good
size garden, there I headed. Been there using his utilities (inc
outside loo) now for two months. But still as a 'vanlifer' in my own
capsule. Meanwhile, Brit couple whose only home was their motorhome
and with whom had made good friends are still at the vinery, west of
Barcelona. Finding it strange that now other Spanish motorhomes are
turning up.

However, I'm nowhere as adventurous and have not suffered like the
couple who were in Argentina, the lead main example among other
vanlifers in this BBC long read:
BBC News - 'I left my campervan in Argentina'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52790108

Tim