Topics

back on road?

timsinc Sinclair

Interesting emaI from my insurer, Comfort:

Tim

The National Caravan Council (NCC), the industry body that represents
the leisure vehicle industry in the UK is lobbying the government to
reopen UK caravan parks as soon as it is safe to do so (private owners
and then holidaymakers but without any access to facilities until is
it safe) in line with proposals in England no later than 4 July.

The leisure industry contributes 10% of GDP across Europe. The UK
caravan industry comprises of 3,877 caravan parks and employs in
excess of 171,000 people. There are over 250,000 privately owned
holiday caravans on parks. These parks welcome over 520,000 touring
caravan and 228,000 motorhome owners.

The NCC enjoyed lobbying success earlier this year by getting the
government to reverse the new motorhome Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).

By opening up UK leisure vehicle parks, not only will it provide a
much needed economic boost to the UK economy, but will it provide a
much needed opportunity for leisure vehicle owners to escape to a safe
open space, where they can continue to socially distance themselves
and get back to enjoying the great outdoors.

Carol Weaver

Great news wonder if THS will open. They don’t have facilities only water and waste dump

Going so

Where will you go Tim?

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 17:56, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
[...]

Where will I go (would have done)? North! To escape this south-east
heatwave (32C in an today) as well as see many family members in
Scotland (where central heating still on).

Tim

On 20/05/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
[...]

Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Lots of places in Scotland don't want strangers - you might not be welcome at the moment. Good luck when you come to go.

Peter S

On 20/05/2020, Carol Weaver wrote:
> Great news wonder if THS will open. They don’t have facilities only water
> and waste dump
>
> Going so
>
> Where will you go Tim?

> On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 17:56, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Interesting emaI from my insurer, Comfort:
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> The National Caravan Council (NCC), the industry body that represents
>> the leisure vehicle industry in the UK is lobbying the government to
>> reopen UK caravan parks as soon as it is safe to do so (private owners
>> and then holidaymakers but without any access to facilities until is
>> it safe) in line with proposals in England no later than 4 July.
>>
>> The leisure industry contributes 10% of GDP across Europe. The UK
>> caravan industry comprises of 3,877 caravan parks and employs in
>> excess of 171,000 people. There are over 250,000 privately owned
>> holiday caravans on parks. These parks welcome over 520,000 touring
>> caravan and 228,000 motorhome owners.
>>
>> The NCC enjoyed lobbying success earlier this year by getting the
>> government to reverse the new motorhome Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).
>>
>> By opening up UK leisure vehicle parks, not only will it provide a
>> much needed economic boost to the UK economy, but will it provide a
>> much needed opportunity for leisure vehicle owners to escape to a safe
>> open space, where they can continue to socially distance themselves
>> and get back to enjoying the great outdoors.
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
> https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

David Scholes

Best of luck Tim. I feel rather imprisoned at the moment and a little jealous.
If you drive up the A1 it is now getting busier again and is pretty hot up to the M62 after which I don’t know.

David

On 20 May 2020, at 19:53, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

Lots of places in Scotland don't want strangers - you might not be welcome at the moment. Good luck when you come to go.

Peter S

On 20/05/2020 19:06:02, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Where will I go (would have done)? North! To escape this south-east
heatwave (32C in an today) as well as see many family members in
Scotland (where central heating still on).

Tim

On 20/05/2020, Carol Weaver wrote:
> Great news wonder if THS will open. They don’t have facilities only water
> and waste dump
>
> Going so
>
> Where will you go Tim?

> On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 17:56, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Interesting emaI from my insurer, Comfort:
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> The National Caravan Council (NCC), the industry body that represents
>> the leisure vehicle industry in the UK is lobbying the government to
>> reopen UK caravan parks as soon as it is safe to do so (private owners
>> and then holidaymakers but without any access to facilities until is
>> it safe) in line with proposals in England no later than 4 July.
>>
>> The leisure industry contributes 10% of GDP across Europe. The UK
>> caravan industry comprises of 3,877 caravan parks and employs in
>> excess of 171,000 people. There are over 250,000 privately owned
>> holiday caravans on parks. These parks welcome over 520,000 touring
>> caravan and 228,000 motorhome owners.
>>
>> The NCC enjoyed lobbying success earlier this year by getting the
>> government to reverse the new motorhome Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).
>>
>> By opening up UK leisure vehicle parks, not only will it provide a
>> much needed economic boost to the UK economy, but will it provide a
>> much needed opportunity for leisure vehicle owners to escape to a safe
>> open space, where they can continue to socially distance themselves
>> and get back to enjoying the great outdoors.
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
> https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

Actually,, I'll not take off the minute sites reopen - it'll just be
like Devon yesterday. The prison doors open and everyone rushes out to
freedom. If you can call being in traffic gridlock freedom.

Went for a walk round the Devil's Punch Bowl day after NT opened its
car park there. Loads of people on foot and bikes, having picnics.
Luckily all seemed courteous in keeping distances.

But like that absurd panic over loo rolls, things calm down in time.
However, I can understand locals fearful of an invasion of outsiders.
I won't go into politics of why on earth UK wasn't fearful of
'outsiders' and is only now too late introducing quarantine for
arrivals. I mean I just sailed through Eurotunnel fleeing lockdown in
Spain and France, no questions asked.

Anyway, when I do set my camper in motion proper, I hope more to take
advantage of kind friends' drives (Martin, you going to have a
reservation list?) up and down the country. In Scotland I know my many
family members will welcome me. As I'll welcome seeing them,
especially my grand-daughters.

Tim

On 20/05/2020, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:
[...]

Sandytrax

Things are looking up for me to resume my travels in Greece, following the Greek Government’s announcement yesterday.

It seems that flights from the U.K. to Athens will start on 15 June.
It will be a relief to be reunited with my campervan which has been in storage there since 19 March.

It was a difficult decision to leave Greece at that time and with hindsight I would have stayed put. Greece with 11 million population has had 140 deaths compared with 40,000 in the U.K’s population of 65 million.

It was a bizarre experience leaving locked down Greece to arrive in Bristol where it seemed nothing had changed.

My insurance company has twice proposed to increase my premium by 66% whilst my van is in Athens storage. When I told them it was ‘pandemic profiteering they backed down.

Hoping I might get over to Crete eventually.

Keep on trucking.
Brian

On 21 May 2020, at 11:20, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

[...]

Neill King \(MH-List\)

Scotland does sound very appealing - but quite difficult still with two different sets of rules and implementations it appears.

I agree about testing / quarantine on incoming people we were staggered to see other countries running temperature screening while we handed out leaflets!

PS: Border checks have always been a legit motorhome topic!

Best regards

Neill
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@... motorcaravanning@...
A great on-line motorhome parts & accessory shop & reference

[...]

As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim

Derek Sims

Bill Gates?

Stay sane

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 22/05/2020, 10:08 timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim

Carol Weaver

I’m an optimist and am hoping the CCC will open some THS soon for summer. Generally farmers fields with water and a tank for black water. Grey in hedges.

Also still planning on booking tunnel for end August for 8 weeks to go to Germany and France as usual.

Am I mad?  Hope not. Just have to live with it. Won’t take mh around here in Cornwall I can go by car and home easily. Roads normally crowded after Easter and jammed after this coming Bank Holiday. It’s no fun as Derek probably sees too.

Tim hope you go where you want, take the chance once FO says GO!!

Carol

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 10:11, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
Bill Gates?

Stay sane

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 22/05/2020, 10:08 timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim

Don Madge

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim
Tim, Are your travel logs still available? I could do with some cheering up.

Don

Peter S

I understand Tim.

We only book if we definitely want to go somewhere when abroad. We have only booked a campsite once abroad as we wanted to go to Ypres for a couple of nights. The only time we have turned up and been sent away whilst in France was last autumn but then as we were going to find somewhere else I spotted some vans parked by a car park - there were 5 free spaces that were not listed on the apps we had and two were unoccupied - result!

We had sites in this country booked for April as we wanted to visit a couple of places in Dorset. We also try to book at weekends in this country but only a day or so before to be sure of somewhere to stop as campsites can be full then.

Peter S

On 22/05/2020, don.madge@... <don.madge@...> wrote:

Tim, Are your travel logs still available? I could do with some cheering
up.
There are loads, Don, but.... for last few years, done them as
round-robin emails to family, friends and fellow m-homers. That way I
know folk get them, like it or not! Few such recipients are on this
list.

Very happy to add you (at your email shown here) or any others. But
fair warning, the maybe three or so weekly recent ones have not
included travel! Still, reflections of my life living in a camper.

Do you want me to forward some examples, knowing that your inbox may
be innundated?

Tim

timsinc Sinclair

A fellow similar-minded tourer, Peter. Maybe a friend in Hamburg has a
solution. She wrote:

"... same in Germany. No travel without booking in advance or even
restaurant visit only with table reservation. Döner [?] not included.
Try to book in advance one site for one week and do day travel from
there, before moving to next weekly home."

Tim

On 22/05/2020, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
[...]

https://www.avg.com

Don Madge

 timsinc Sinclair
May 20

[...]

 Like

 Carol Weaver
May 20

Great news wonder if THS will open. They don’t have facilities only water and waste dump

Going so

Where will you go Tim?

toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

> [...]

>> much needed economic boost to the UK economy, but will it provide a
>> much needed opportunity for leisure vehicle owners to escape to a safe
>> open space, where they can continue to socially distance themselves
>> and get back to enjoying the great outdoors.
>>

>> --
> --
> Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
> Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
> https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

 Like

 David Scholes
May 20

Best of luck Tim. I feel rather imprisoned at the moment and a little jealous.
If you drive up the A1 it is now getting busier again and is pretty hot up to the M62 after which I don’t know.

May 21

[...]

10:08am

As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim

 Like

 Derek Sims
10:11am

Bill Gates?

Stay sane

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

 Like

 Carol Weaver
10:25am

[...]

10:55am

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
As I feared, the days of my usual tour on the fly, spur-of-the moment
destination choice, spontaneous living looks like are over.

Booking it will have to be, going by this article on BBC news today
about stay-in-your-own country holidays - specifically camping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52720169

Trouble is I'm not a good planner as well as hate rigid itineries -
ferry bookings my limit!

Who likes this new world we're living in?

Tim
Tim, Are your travel logs still available? I could do with some cheering up.

Don

 Like

 Peter S
11:06am

[...]

12:14pm

On 22/05/2020, don.madge@... <don.madge@...> wrote:

Tim, Are your travel logs still available? I could do with some cheering
up.
There are loads, Don, but.... for last few years, done them as
round-robin emails to family, friends and fellow m-homers. That way I
know folk get them, like it or not! Few such recipients are on this
list.

Very happy to add you (at your email shown here) or any others. But
fair warning, the maybe three or so weekly recent ones have not
included travel! Still, reflections of my life living in a camper.

Do you want me to forward some examples, knowing that your inbox may
be innundated?

Tim, put me on your mailing list please. i get very little in my in box these days.
I remember the time you lived on the boat.
Don
Tim, put me on your mailing list please

andyowl2004

Forgive my ignorance, and I assume that CCC refers to Camping and Caravanning Club, but what does "THS" stand for?

Andy Owler

Carol Weaver

Temporary Holiday Site

Carol

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 08:54, andyowl2004 via groups.io <andyowler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, and I assume that CCC refers to Camping and Caravanning Club, but what does "THS" stand for?

Andy Owler

Temporary Holiday Sites organised via CCC. Normally all round the country for varying lengths of time. Members can often just turn up and stay for 1 night or a few weeks. Usually expected to phone first.

Martin

On 23 May 2020, at 08:54, andyowl2004 via groups.io <andyowler@...> wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, and I assume that CCC refers to Camping and Caravanning Club, but what does "THS" stand for?

Andy Owler

nhrluk

THS stands for Temporary Holiday Site. They are organised by the District Associations ( DA's ) within the C&CC. They use farmers fields, rugby club grounds, land adjacent to camp sites, school premises etc. for, usually several weeks at a time. Essentials being fresh water supply, a toilet waste disposal and rubbish disposal.

Nigel L
=====