Topics

[MH-list] Main supply on CMC sites

Reg <lists.reg@...>

On 25 November 2017 at 15:07, Martin Bennett martin@...
[motorhome-list] <motorhome-list@...> wrote:

I normally leave one of those 3 neon light detector plugs plugged into a socket and have noticed that on certain sites (particularly the CMC NEC temporary site and this week on the York one) the 3 lights flicker and sometimes I'm left with just the centre one illuminated.
Having just the centre one illuminated doesn't seem to be an option in the listing of faults.
I've been wondering if it could be a voltage reduction that causes it as it seems to coincide with early evening and with my electric heating option (Truma 6E) not being as effective. I'm back home now with all 3 neons working and heating seeming normal.
I would not recommend leaving one in circuit continually, as neons
have a limited life. But who has mains on continually in a motorhome
other than in winter storage to keep damp at bay.

I asked the question on an amateur radio group and Brian suggested
looking here:-

<http://www.marcspages.co.uk/pq/4511.htm>

He wrote: The circuit allows you to see the 'middle' neon would,
indeed, possibly be on at lower voltages (the series R values) and it
is listed in the 'output' tree.

He also wrote: I also use one of those plugs. I've never seen a
problem on a UK site but L/N 'swaps' are common in France. I carry a
short lead with L & N 'crossed over' to insert.

My experience has been the same.

The table in that link, confirms your thoughts on low voltage.

Reg.

Bennett Family

Reg,

Many thanks - it looks as if my suspicions of low voltage were correct. It's happened each time I've stayed at the NEC temporary site and last week in the evening on the York CMC site on two separate pitches. I don't use many appliances on mains power so it's never been a problem, but the reduced heat from the Truma was noticeable during the Le temperatures last week.

You ask "who has mains on continually in a motorhome" - the answer is me!

Since 1989 I've left my various motorhomes plugged in whenever they are not being driven around. I've left the neon indicator plug permanently in and I'm now on my second plug so not a bad life for the neons. With the plug in I can see at a glance from the outside that the power is on and the orange neon lights  also act as a bit of a deterrent as they look like a sophisticated alarm system!

I've not had any problems with batteries either, not having to replace any despite owning 2 of the vans for 5 years and one for 8 years.

Martin

On 26 November 2017 at 21:19, Martin Bennett martin@...
[motorhome-list] <motorhome-list@...> wrote:

Since 1989 I've left my various motorhomes plugged in whenever they are not being driven around. I've left the neon indicator plug permanently in and I'm now on my second plug so not a bad life for the neons. With the plug in I can see at a glance from the outside that the power is on and the orange neon lights also act as a bit of a deterrent as they look like a sophisticated alarm system!

I've not had any problems with batteries either, not having to replace any despite owning 2 of the vans for 5 years and one for 8 years.

I've also had no problems with caravan (one a Lucas) and motorhome
batteries. I guess it's because we both look after them. The Elecsol
270Ah battery in the Land Rover MH had been bought a couple of years
before the conversion to MH in 2005. It was still OK when the vehicle
was sold earlier this year. So 14 years of good use. Always kept
topped up with demin water and never over discharged.

Not thought of the neons as a deterrent, sounds like a good idea.

The Land Rover MH was used continually during the winter, even with
ice and snow, so we had a 1Kw mains fan heater on a low thermostat as
the Truma heater did not have a mains jacket option. The Hymer has
the mains heating option and is iNet ready. Not sure if it's worth
the cost.

Reg