Topics

[MH-list] Gps iPad/iphone

ErnB <ernb@...>

On 21/10/11 11:04, "Carol Weaver" <corconx@gmail.com> wrote:

Their are TomTim apps in the app store
As much as I lust after an iPad and iPhone, Carol, they are a bit beyond my
plastic right now. (MOT, repairs, retest, and insurance.)

I was looking at that Maplin tablet of Jenny's. It runs Android (Sorry,
Steve.) but it is hard to say how the Android GPS Apps cost and whether they
run stand alone or need to be constantly on-line. (No good for roaming.) I
suspect Google nav has to be, but I like the look of Co-Pilot Truck for
Europe.

Trouble is, they all seem to be hiding something in all the reviews and
comparisons.

Does anyone have Co-Pilot Truck? On Android?

TIA
Fonero
Bristol

Roy Coldrick

Ernie

Google needs to be online as you suspected but you can plan a route in
advance and that data is cached for the journey. If you go off-piste then it
then has to go online to get extra data though. I am doubtful about Copilot
Truck but you would do well to look at Sygic GPS Navigation. It is very
TomTom-like and although it doesn't have a Truck mode, it has some features
which make it a reasonable compromise. I have it on both my Android phone
and the Ipad. If you fancied a trip over to Ross on Wye I could demo it.

Roy

As much as I lust after an iPad and iPhone, Carol, they are a bit beyond my
plastic right now. (MOT, repairs, retest, and insurance.)

I was looking at that Maplin tablet of Jenny's. It runs Android (Sorry,
Steve.) but it is hard to say how the Android GPS Apps cost and whether they
run stand alone or need to be constantly on-line. (No good for roaming.) I
suspect Google nav has to be, but I like the look of Co-Pilot Truck for
Europe.

Trouble is, they all seem to be hiding something in all the reviews and
comparisons.

Does anyone have Co-Pilot Truck? On Android?

TIA
Fonero
Bristol

Iain Harrison

On 21/10/2011 12:20, ErnB wrote:
but it is hard to say how the Android GPS Apps cost and whether they
run stand alone or need to be constantly on-line
Free and built in.

--
Iain

Iain Harrison

On 21/10/2011 12:32, Roy Coldrick wrote:
I am doubtful about Copilot
Truck but you would do well to look at Sygic GPS Navigation. It is very
TomTom-like and although it doesn't have a Truck mode
My Android tablet cam with a 30 day trial of Copilot, but it only took one trip to tell me that iGo is better, cheaper, and uses less memory.

--
Iain

ErnB <ernb@...>

On 21/10/11 12:32, "Roy Coldrick" <roy.coldrick@googlemail.com> wrote:

... you would do well to look at Sygic GPS Navigation. It is very
TomTom-like and although it doesn't have a Truck mode, it has some features
which make it a reasonable compromise.
I am quite impressed, Roy. And a truck/motorhome option is under
consideration. See page 4 of Popular Ideas. I doubled the vote to 2 :-)),
but it might help if everyone went here: -
http://support.sygic.com/sygic/topics/motorhome_or_caravan_as_option and
voted for the idea.

And the maps are so cheap. Western Europe for 30Eu! Does that include the
App?

It all looks good and the temptation factor on the TouchPad 7 is up near
80%.
Fonero
Bristol

Iain Harrison

On 21/10/2011 13:28, Iain Harrison wrote:

My Android tablet cam with a 30 day trial of Copilot, but it only took
one trip to tell me that iGo is better, cheaper, and uses less memory.
And it allows you to specify the length, width, height, max and actual weight of the vehicle so you get appropriate routes. Way better than the alternatives. And the mapping is more up to date, usually.

However, it is quite difficult to find: not on the Android market.

Bizarrely, it is easier to find a free pirated copy than the buy a legitimate one.

--
Iain

Peter S

Now 3.

Peter S

I am quite impressed, Roy. And a truck/motorhome option is under
consideration. See page 4 of Popular Ideas. I doubled the vote to 2 :-)),
but it might help if everyone went here: -
http://support.sygic.com/sygic/topics/motorhome_or_caravan_as_option and
voted for the idea.

Roy Coldrick

Yes the software is included.

Roy

Simon Whitehead

Finally, all the TomTom variants have appeared on my iPad App store. Odd that. I wonder why they didn't appear earlier.
I would still like an answer to the question about updates: Are they offered for free or do we have to pay for them?

s.whitehead@iee.org

ErnB <ernb@...>

On 21/10/11 20:53, "Whitehead, Simon" <s.whitehead@colleton.org> wrote:

I would still like an answer to the question about updates: Are they offered
for free or do we have to pay for them?
About as obtuse as the energy marketeers.

It really is too much.
Fonero
Bristol

ErnB <ernb@...>

On 21/10/11 20:04, "ErnB" <ernb@supanet.com> wrote:

About as obtuse as the energy marketeers.

It really is too much.
Forgotten what that was about.

It reminds me of the time when the Royal Mail found several lorry trailers
full of mail that had been parked up in Filton and forgotten for many weeks.
Fonero
Bristol

Iain Harrison

<mailto:s.whitehead%40colleton.org>> wrote:

> I would still like an answer to the question about updates: Are they
offered
> for free or do we have to pay for them?

About as obtuse as the energy marketeers.

It really is too much.
No, it is perfectly sensible. Updates are not paid for, but use quite a lot of data, so I don't have automatic updates on. I do updates when I have wi-fi coverage, not when I'm out and about.

--
Iain