From: Duncan in Bideford

Date: 31/10/2008 15:18:11

To: motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk

Subject: RE: [MH-list] Speeding [was: cruise control, is it worth it?]

PETER STALLWOOD wrote

But I always want to beat Tom Tom!!
So do I, Peter, but the neighbours complain about the noise!

But, back to the topic....

It is true that ACPO guideline is 10% + 2 mph and this is generally the
standard. However, at an advanced driving group meeting, we were told that
this guideline is overruled on certain stretches of road for any of several
reasons including collision record, proximity to sensitive locations
(schools, hospitals, etc.), local campaigns....

On those occasions, the penalty speed may be reduced right down to just
above the posted limit. As has already been said, a speedometer is not
allowed to under read so whenever a penalty is imposed it follows that the
vehicle instrumentation was reading at or above the recorded speed.

Duncan

Duncan in Bideford <duncan@...>

[...]

Peter  S

As an aside, TomTom gives an estimated time to destination. Try dropping
your speed by 5mph. It takes a long time and several miles before you ETA
stretches by more than a minute or so.

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 31/10/08 11:14, "PETER STALLWOOD" <pstallwood@btinternet.com> wrote:

but I was only doing 65.
But you still got there, Peter. And just think of the fuel you saved.

As an aside, TomTom gives an estimated time to destination. Try dropping
your speed by 5mph. It takes a long time and several miles before you ETA
stretches by more than a minute or so.
Bristol

Peter S

Your understanding is the same as mine but we have the weasel  word "guidelines" in there. There have been reports of very minor speeding been peanalised and I can only see it getting worse.

Heavens knows how I haven't got points yet. Went through a mobile trap earlier this week where it has not been unknown for me to be well well in excess of the limit (like 50% of other vehicles at that point) but this time was only doing 70 on the speedo. Whew!!!

Peter S

She didn't admit that :)

The point is that I thought that the ACPO guidelines meant that there
was an 'allowance' up to and including 35mph.

W3526602@...

Hi,

What about these new 20mph signs. What rules are they supposed to comply
with?

20mph says the sign......and a mile later you are wondering if it is safe to
speed up.

Some signs have lights, some don't.

I can show you a 2 mile stretch of road restricted to 20mph. But meet a bus
coming the other way, and you have to stop with your wheels in the gutter. The
other side of the road is full of parked cars, and there's not much left for
moving traffic. Two motor homes meeting? Tough!

602

Peter S

Agree. My Mazda MX5 was dead on when compared with Tom Tom. Could be a bit frustrating when you knew it was safe to go faster because those in front were keeping to 70 by their speedos but I was only doing 65.

Peter S

Speedos may not display a speed less than than the real speed, but may
over-read up to 10%. My Nissan over-reads by the whole 10%, but some
cars are nearly spot on, so it's unwise to assume that a speedo over-reads.

Andy Clarke <andy@...>

On 31/10/2008 10:25, PETER STALLWOOD wrote:
Hello Andy
But what was the speedo showing?
The speedo will overread by say 10% so a speed of 35mph as measured by the equipment that caught her would mean a speed showing on the speedo of closer to 40mph. Unless you have an accurate speedo that is.
She didn't admit that :)

The point is that I thought that the ACPO guidelines meant that there was an 'allowance' up to and including 35mph.

Andy Clarke
--
www.ukmotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website
www.motorhomemarket.co.uk - The Motorhome Classifieds