cruise control, is it worth it?

Colin Mitchell <cmitchell@...>

--- In motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk, B WEBB <woodlake21rry@...>
wrote:

. . . considering cruise control but was unsure about
urban driving which is where the disadvantage is at its worst. How
does the acceleration work from say traffic lights if you set the
control to 28-30? How about if the traffic is crawling do you set
it
to lower speeds? I can see how knocking it out would work quite
quickly. Or do you accelerate to the desired speed whatever that may
be and then set it.
My experience of cruise control, spread over a number of years now, is
limited to factory fitted units attached to automatic gearboxes. Post-
factory units may be different but in all my experience, cruise control
units will not work below a factory pre-set speed which is usually
about 30/35mph. Accordingly, if you have set the unit to 'cruise' at
30mph and click in at say 10mph, the unit will not work. On the
otherhand, if you set the 'cruise' speed to (say) 50mph, having
previously travelled at that speed, and subsequently click in at or
above the minimum factory pre-set speed, the vehicle will accelerate
again to 50mph. In most cases the control button or stock can be used
as an accelerator to raise your speed to the desired level as an
alternative to using your foot, but only after you have passed the
factory pre-set minimum speed.
I would also add that despite my years of using cruise controls, I
avoid using them in urban areas or in any situation where traffic
density is relatively high. I just don't feel comfortable or safe for
that matter.
Having said that, I wouldn't be without my cruise control and greatly
regret that until now I have not been able to have a unit fitted to my
automatic 1998 Hymer S660 (Sprinter based). MB can't help and all the
independent suppliers I have approached either don't bother to reply or
else can't help. If anybody has any suggestions, they will be
gratefully received. I live near Barcelona but visit the UK on a
regular basis.
Are they worth it? Definitely yes but, in my opinion, should be used
with a great deal of caution, it at all, in typical urban traffic
conditions.

HTH
Colin

theberties

Thanks for all the replies, all i need to do now is convince the bank
manager that i need to spend some of her pennies. easy to convince her
that sat nav was cheaper than a divorce but this could take a bit more
negotiation

bertie