[MH-list] cruise control, is it worth it?

W3526602@...

paul_ramwell@yahoo.co.uk writes:

Just because people have different preferences to you does not mean they are
inadequate!

Hi,

Maybe they prefer to spend their money on a bigger car, rather than
gadgets.........

602

Don Madge <don.madge@...>

On Tues 28 October 2008 15:35 Bertie wrote

I am considering having cruise control fitted, £350ish, is it money
well spent or purely a luxury I can do without
Hi Bertie,

Due to age and disability I could not do the long trips across Europe that I
do with out cruise control.

I also use it a lot in the UK. The people who say it's a waste of time here
are just showing how inadequate they are as drivers.

I recently drove home from the Malvern Show and got on to the M5 about 10.30
am from there it was motorway/dual carriageway all the way home. I stayed in
5th all the way and had to adjust the speed a couple of times using the
plus/minus buttons. I was travelling about 62/63 MPH.

With a bit of observation, anticipation and forward planning it can be done.

That should rattle the bars on a few cages.

Safe travelling.

Don

Paul Ramwell <paul_ramwell@...>

Not sure there is a need to cause offence to people to rattle a few cages! I
think its more about personal driving preferences than inadequacy.

I am an avid user of cruise control – and make fullest use of it – but I can
understand why people would choose not to use it rather than constantly
using and resuming!

Just because people have different preferences to you does not mean they are
inadequate!

Paul

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 28/10/08 16:33, "Don Madge" <don.madge@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

With a bit of observation, anticipation and forward planning it can be done.
I use cruise all the time, and that includes town driving. I can see where
some would think that one is not properly in control, although how, exactly,
is harder to pin down. I set cruise to 28 to 30 mph, and just go. Touching
the brake or flicking the paddle stick down knocks it off immediately, and
adjusting the speed to suit traffic flow takes no more thought or effort
than using one's foot. It is simply another way to drive.

I realise some folk get their kicks out of pedalling their way about town
like organists with St Vitus dance, but I am past all that. Like I said, the
little black box works like a dream.
Bristol

Neill King \(MH-List\)