Topics

[MH-list] Tens machines

Louisa Livingstone

Ive had experience of one.. I still have it..from a few years ago.. but no longer use it though it rests in a cupboard.. Its difficult to say if it works or not because you never know what you would have felt like had you not used it.. but then if you are desperately in pain, one will try anything. There must be research on them somewhere you can go on? Have you googled them for proper research?
Kind regards
Louisa

Anyone had any experience of these? Lloyds offer single channel, dual
channel and heated. What advantages do each have? This is a test to
see how many of you are awake on a windy autumnal day. By the way,
paid 114.9 in Auchan Calais on monday for diesel.
Vaughan

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 23/10/08 15:47, "louisalivingstone@..."
<louisalivingstone@...> wrote:

There must be research on them somewhere you can go on? Have you
googled them for proper research?
Yes, but you have to google for " Transcutaneous electrical nerve
stimulation" to get any relevant pages.

The consensus seems to be that it is effective in most applications,
including help with elderly patients with dementia and Alzheimer's, and
would you believe it, tinnitus.

I have had excellent results from my Lloyd's Pharmacy machine, but I must
report that the one I recently bought from Lidl seemed OK but has since
assumed on operational status of non-functional. It's broke. I cannot find
the receipt so I am waiting for my bank statement as proof of purchase.
Bristol

<louisalivingstone@...> wrote:

There must be research on them somewhere you can go on? Have you
googled them for proper research?
Further to my previous post, I forgot to add that the Bristol Royal
Infirmary dish them out for long term treatment of pain.
Bristol

Vaughan Pitman

I have had excellent results from my Lloyd's Pharmacy machine, but I
must
report that the one I recently bought from Lidl seemed OK but has since
assumed on operational status of non-functional. It's broke. I
cannot find
the receipt so I am waiting for my bank statement as proof of purchase.
Bristol
Thanks to all for the opinions on the Lloyds Tens machines. Just
popped out and bought the Dual Channel one for 19.99 - half price
offer. New pads for 3.99. Set of 4 AAA Duracell batteries for 1.99. It
had better work on the wife otherwise I'm taking her and the machine
back for a refund!
Vaughan

Bennett Family

In message <C52653D5.80A5%ernb@...>, Ernest <ernb@...> writes
Further to my previous post, I forgot to add that the Bristol Royal
Infirmary dish them out for long term treatment of pain.
Bristol
We've been selling TENS machines since the mid 1970s - they work well for some people, or some conditions. A 70% success rate is claimed by manufacturers however the evidence base is "open to interpretation".

See http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band37/b37-3.html

Having said that, if I was in chronic pain it would be something I tried sooner rather than later and, other than a slight tingling sensation, provided you're not allergic to the pads or the gel or have a pacemaker, then the risks are small.

Much smaller than the risks of side effects from most medication!

Martin Bennett, Managing Director
Associated Chemists (Wicker) Ltd www.wicker.co.uk
55-67 Wicker, Sheffield S3 8HT. Tel (0114) 272 7676 Fax (0114) 272 6431 Also
Trading as Wicker Pharmacy, Wicker Mobility Shop and H+H System Associated
Chemists (Wicker) Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Reg.No.: 496833. Registered Office: 55-67 Wicker, Sheffield. S3 8HT

Brian Marsden

At 16:13 23/10/2008, Ernie wrote:

I have had excellent results from my Lloyd's Pharmacy machine, but I must
report that the one I recently bought from Lidl seemed OK but has since
assumed on operational status of non-functional. It's broke. I cannot find
the receipt so I am waiting for my bank statement as proof of purchase.
Hi Ernie
After you demonstrated your Tens Machine to me I later went to my local Lloyd's Pharmacy and bought one. I have been pleased with it.
Sorry to hear that your new Lidle machine went down the Swanee. Llyod's are now doing two further machines. One very similar to the Lidle one and also one that heats the area as well.
Regards
BrianM