[MH-list] NEC Yesterday

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 16/10/08 13:00, "Mike Shepherd" <mikeshepherd@gofast.co.uk> wrote:

Buyers lounge where you get free chanpagne if you buy was empty.

Downturn or recession?
Did anyone catch the BBC piece from some giant shopping mall in the States?
There was one car in a car park big enough to land a Jumbo in, and only 5 of
the 160 odd shops was open. If that is the shape of things to come, then we
are in for a very lean time indeed.

Mind you, the economists and analysts are forecasting a slump. Being as they
are fourth only to astrologers, dice rollers and oui-ja board operators in
the accuracy of their forecasts, we could be in for another boom.

Let's hope so.

And the GBP is still creeping up against the Euro. Every little helps.
Bristol

Roy Coldrick

Ernie

That reminded me of a joke I heard which I believe was told by Margaret
Thatcher.

Three people were arguing whether theirs was the 'Oldest Profession'.
First , and most obviously, the Prostitute stepped forward and claimed
what everyone knew, that Street Walkers were the Oldest Profession.
Then the Town Planner stepped up and said that , in his view the oldest
profession had to be the Town Planner because before them there would
have been total chaos
At which point the Economist stood up and cheekily asked - 'But who do
you imagine created the chaos'?
--

Back on topic I agree with Mike that there did seem to be less business
going on at the NEC and that isn't surprising.

Roy

---------------

On 16/10/08 13:45, "Roy Coldrick" <roy@coldrick.net> wrote:

Back on topic I agree with Mike that there did seem to be less business
going on at the NEC and that isn't surprising.
Not wishing to rub it in, but look at Message #90830 from Dec 2007.

I even got the falling oil price right.

Like the hurricane said to the coconut tree, "Hold on to your nuts, this is
no ordinary blow through!"

The people who really got everything right, of course, are those real
scientists who contributed to the Club of Rome Report in 1972. And check out
the graph on this website. (The written bit will chill anyone's bones.)

http://www.dieoff.org/page25.htm

For those who find it hard going, one of the paragraphs near the end reads:
-

In the first place, we would reiterate our original message; in the words of
Jay Forrester: "Over the last hundred years, life on earth was dominated by
growth. Growth of population, of production, of income and capital
formation, of exhaustion and pollution. This growth is going to stop and
must stop, and the only question is by what means? Voluntarily, by
government and free will, or through natural processes, which means collapse
and disaster?"

Despite all of the warnings, the money men have pressed on through ever
bigger crises. Is this another warning, or is this the big one?

ErnB
Bristol