Topics

[MH-list] Re: What a shock

Don Madge <don.madge@...>

On Sat 11 October 2008 11:48 Nick wrote

Looks like its one of those new E-Books for you and Maureen then Don
:-) Just about to set off for Woodhall Spa for the week-end.

Nick and Bill.

Hi Nick,

Long time no see.

I googled EBook and if I understand it right I would need the laptop, not
much use when your visiting ancient sites if you have to keep referring to
the laptop or have I got it wrong again.

Don

Brian Marsden

At 12:02 11/10/2008, Don wrote:

I googled EBook and if I understand it right I would need the laptop, not
much use when your visiting ancient sites if you have to keep referring to
the laptop or have I got it wrong again.
++++++++++
Hi Don
Have a google for 'ebook reader'
Regards
BrianM.
Mind you they are very expensive.

Don Madge <don.madge@...>

On Sat 11 October 2008 12:26 Brian M wrote

At 12:02 11/10/2008, Don wrote:

I googled EBook and if I understand it right I would need the laptop, not
much use when your visiting ancient sites if you have to keep referring to
the laptop or have I got it wrong again.
++++++++++
Hi Don
Have a google for 'ebook reader'
Regards
BrianM.
Mind you they are very expensive.
------------------------------------
Thanks Brian I'll pass on that one.

Don

Motorhomer

This new Sony e-book is nothing new.
I've been reading e-books for about 10 years, thanks to my Palm PDAs.
If you get a Palm Treo mobile phone/PDA you can download the books
with the need for a laptop.
E-books are great but they do have problems... You can't lend them to
friends, Change the PDA and the book is unreadable, unless you can
rememebr the unlock code, not all authors are available on e-book.
Some, Stephen King for example, has written book only available on
electronic format.

Most new mobile (smart)phones can display e-books, but the size of the
screen can make this tiresome. I'm yet to try it on my N95 8GB, but
this might be OK, and it's built in wi-fi should make downloading
books a lot easier :)

Forget the Sony thing, it's far too expensive for an e-book reader.

Darren

Tim Atkinson

Not been around much recently so have hopped into this mid thread - but for what it's worth I read ebooks on my PDA (and now phone - which in my case is really a pda - O2 XDA) so you don't need a laptop or one of the silly expensive readers no one is likely to buy.

Cheers

--Tim

At 10:37 13/10/2008, Tim wrote:
Not been around much recently so have hopped into this mid thread - but
for what it's worth I read ebooks on my PDA (and now phone - which in my
case is really a pda - O2 XDA) so you don't need a laptop or one of the
silly expensive readers no one is likely to buy.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
That is exactly what I use--O2xda (but II).It does my TomTom(6) and also Memory Map and eBooks(which I stick on an SD card). Easy to obtain second hand as its not necessary to have the latest hi-tech offerings. Oh--almost forgot--its a phone as well.
Regards
BrianM

timsinc Sinclair

--- In motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk, "dazcaz" <daz@...> wrote:

This new Sony e-book is nothing new.
I've been reading e-books for about 10 years, thanks to my Palm PDAs.

Forget the Sony thing, it's far too expensive for an e-book reader.

Your opinion.

It's a fair bit cheaper than the Iliad reader I use everyday. With
constant use you may need to recharge the device maybe only once a
week (unlike pda's or cell phones), the screen sizes are more like
that of a paperback (no squinting or magnifying glass required), the
pages do not need holding down in the wind, it uses what is called
e-ink technology so there is no led screen, and you can have hundreds
of novels and other reading material (news feeds, blogs and more) -
that in their tree-culling version would put your motorhome over the
weight limit - in one device that weighs no more than your Fiat manual.

Tim

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 13/10/08 11:43, "Tim Sinclair" <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

that in their tree-culling version would put your motorhome over the
weight limit - in one device that weighs no more than your Fiat manual.
How about if one has a Mercedes? :-))

A good point on the weight of books, though. They are heavier than house
bricks.
Bristol

Neill King \(MH-List\)