Topics

[MH-list] Can you help....logistics.

Ernest <ernb@...>

602.

Miles, Glynneath to: -

Dover = 263, Newhaven = 259, Portsmaouth = 184, Poole = 172, Plymouth = 181.

Miles to Evran from: -

Calais = 325, Dieppe = 225, Caen = 112, Cherbourg = 141, St Malo = 24,
Roscoff = 112. Via Autoroutes if applicable.

Perm any 4 with 5 = a bloody headache! :-))

Bristol

Neill King \(MH-List\)

And Sea France probably cheapest right now?

Best regards

Neill
====================================
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk www.motorcaravanning.com
email: neill@motorcaravanning.co.uk phone: 01789-778825
An on-line shop community & reference for all motorcaravanners

On 10/10/08 22:07, "Neill King (MH-List)" <yahoo@motorcaravanning.co.uk>
wrote:

And Sea France probably cheapest right now?
They seem to take it in turns.

One year its Norfolk Line at £38 return, then P&O last year and now Sea
France.
Bristol

W3526602@...

In a message dated 10/10/2008 18:58:56 GMT Daylight Time, ernb@supanet.com
writes:

Miles, Glynneath to: -

Dover = 263, Newhaven = 259, Portsmaouth = 184, Poole = 172, Plymouth = 181.

Miles to Evran from: -

Calais = 325, Dieppe = 225, Caen = 112, Cherbourg = 141, St Malo = 24,
Roscoff = 112. Via Autoroutes if applicable.

Hi Ern,

Most grateful. I will now away to do some sums.

602

**************

W3526602@...

In a message dated 10/10/2008 23:09:40 GMT Daylight Time, ernb@supanet.com
writes:

They seem to take it in turns.

Hi,

We have sufficient TESCO vouchers to go through the tunnel for free. But of
course that is the longest journey by road, and has the most tolls. In the
other hand, it is probably quicker than crossing with BF, and will distress the
dog less.

BF used to offer a cheapo for very short stays....was it £100 for 5
days?....which means savings of road travel (fuel and tolls). But I can't find this
on offer, only discounts from scheduled fares.

602

**************

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 11/10/08 07:16, "W3526602@aol.com" <W3526602@aol.com> wrote:

BF used to offer a cheapo for very short stays....was it £100 for 5
days?....which means savings of road travel (fuel and tolls). But I can't find
this on offer, only discounts from scheduled fares.
"Used to" is now only used in nostalgic terms, 602. Now it is all hustle,
bustle and generating "new travel products" and "enhancing the travel
experience." It 'used to' be called getting from A to B.

I see your problem, but to make your calculations even more difficult, my
oil price predictions of yesterday evening have come true. Sainsbugs dropped
diesel by 4P (That is 5P/L since I filled up.) and their petrol by 3P
overnight. My guess is that juice in France will be well under £1 a litre.
Even with the £ reaching arse-wipe status against the Euro.

Even so the cost of getting over or under the Channel is usually a hefty
proportion of the total cost, and I would have thought that a free crossing
would settle the argument. The way south from Calais can be taken at a
diesel saving, leisurely pace on Routes Nationale which only add 2 or 3
miles to the journey. BTW, I always use the A16 autoroute for the 1 or 2 Km
to the first junction as it gets me past that mess just south of Boulogne.

What van do you have? Can you get on SpeedFerries?

Good luck with the slide rule.
Bristol

Neill King \(MH-List\)

Ah but does a life have to be dictated to by lowest cost?

In the stormier seasons a short crossing or tunnel trip would surely be the
more comfortable bet.

And why not fit a towbar to the motorhome and detour en route via the
gastronomic delights of Normandy or the champagne harvest or futuroscope or
chateaux or coastal bird migration or cognac country or autumn fair or
Christmas market ... to make the trip really enjoyable??

Best regards

Neill
====================================

In a message dated 11/10/2008 09:07:10 GMT Daylight Time, ernb@supanet.com
writes:

The way south from Calais can be taken at a
diesel saving, leisurely pace on Routes Nationale which only add 2 or 3
miles to the journey. BTW, I always use the A16 autoroute for the 1 or 2 Km
to the first junction as it gets me past that mess just south of Boulogne.

What van do you have? Can you get on SpeedFerries?

Hi Ern,

Going over to France on holiday, being away for a couple of months is
different from a quick dash to sort out some business. What happens in the event,
depends on what my prospective buyer decides. This year has been a pain,
starting with them drilling a hole in my head, then Barbara's car running amok
writting off both our cars ( and a nearby Transit) so she bought herself a brand
new KIA and an old Land Rover for me, followed by another largish "capital"
purchase, which left our savings just this side of comfortable. Then the
central heating boiler went belly up. So we didn't return to France this Summer.
Things will be back on track by next year, but the renovation is almost
finished.......and that will be the end of the fun. If we can sell before then, I
think we will, and indulge in some retail therapy, cos the proceeds are not
already spoken for.

My working truck is a 1960 Land Rover, but fitted with a 2.5TD engine. Pulls
like a train, and can hold 80mph when legal to do so. But struggles to top
25mpg, and is noisy and tiring over long distances. I regard it as a tool or a
toy.

I did some sums yesterday, worked out that 25mpg at £1.30 per litre is
approximately 25p per mile....anybody want to check that? Academic, cos they keep
moving the goal posts. When we first bought in France, diesel was just over €
0.80 per litre, and the £ was worth €1.70. So thats a double whammy, but
fetching the proceeds of selling the house back to UK should raise a smile.

Also to be taken into account is the dog. We got him from the pound and
don't know his previous history. He is very unhappy to be left alone (tough!),
and we would be reluctant to leave him in kennels. But he goes manic when in a
car, he has barked non-stop for three hours...and he spits. Actually its
saliva that gets projected by him barking, and after a long journey there is a
puddle in the bottom of his travel box. Never any problem getting him into the
car (can't stop him), but he was distressed after only a couple of hours on
the Norfolklines crossing. So another point in favour of the tunnel, though the
vet says he can give us a sedative. We're reluctant to dope him, but a large
financial incentive may make us change out minds.

I was amazed to see that Swansea to Dover is only a couple of miles further
than Swansea to Newhaven.

602

**************

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 12/10/08 07:26, "W3526602@aol.com" <W3526602@aol.com> wrote:

I did some sums yesterday, worked out that 25mpg at £1.30 per litre is
approximately 25p per mile....anybody want to check that?
25 mpg is 5.5 miles/Litre. Current UK price is about £1.16 which works out
at 21P a mile. The price in France is, as of yesterday, 96.8P or 17.6P a
mile. All at Nationwide rates, of course.

As to your other plans, I would say that getting rid of unused property can
only be a win, win, strategy. Who knows where property prices are going? The
house price figures quoted on TV are probably averaged over the country. In
Bristol, terrace houses priced at £140K earlier in the year, are still
unsold at little more than £100K. In fact one I noticed in a local agent's,
has been going down at £5K per week and now stands at £90K.

When you think on it, how could anyone believe that shares and house prices
would keep on going up? My grandfather sold a block of 6 cottages in
Hounslow to sitting tenants for £3,000 in 1948. A few months ago, those same
cottages were "worth" over £1M. That is crazy. But so are economists. Less
than a week ago, some financial experts were declaring that Icelandic banks
were a good bet. I wonder how much money the experts lost?

Reagan had the best idea - he used astrologers and Tarot card readers.
Bristol

Pet Human <pethuman@...>

Ernest wrote:
As to your other plans, I would say that getting rid of unused property can
only be a win, win, strategy.
And of course the cash will be ever-so-safe in a bank.

Great interest rates on offer in Iceland, I hear ....

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 12/10/08 13:43, "Pet Human" <pethuman@gmail.com> wrote:

And of course the cash will be ever-so-safe in a bank.

Great interest rates on offer in Iceland, I hear ....
Buy Premium Bonds. No interest, but a £30,000 bond should, statistically
speaking, win a prize every month. Anything from £50 to £1M. And it will not
go walkies.
Bristol

Nigel Owen

And of course the cash will be ever-so-safe in a bank.

Great interest rates on offer in Iceland, I hear ....
Buy Premium Bonds. No interest, but a 30,000 bond should, statistically
speaking, win a prize every month. Anything from 50 to 1M. And it will not
go walkies.
Bristol

From the NS&I website:

Although the chance of winning 1,000,000 may seem alluring, the payout on
30,000 averages at 3.4% - reducing to 3.25% from November 1st.

A better guaranteed return with instant access would be an Easy Access
savings account paying 4.2% (but you'd need 50,000 invested to get that
rate).

see: http://www.nsandi.com/products/easa/rates.jsp

Nigel.

W3526602@...

Hi,

Well, I now know how much I'm going to spend on diesel to get to/from any of
the ferry ports. Next move is to find out what each crossing will cost me.
Buts thats not so easy, as the ferry companies seem rather coy about revealing
their prices.

The on-line system seems to be that you tell them when you want to travel,
and they tell you how much it will cost. But I am aware that there are
different prices for different sailings. As it matters not when I travel, my interest
is in taking the cheapest option, but to find that, you have to make several
dummy bookings, and even then you don't know if you have missed a better
deal. Or maybe I am a techno-wimp? Probably!

The easy solution is to look at their paper brochure/timetable, but in this
part of the UK you walk into a travel agent (nearest is 10 miles away), ask
for a brochure......and the lady goes all po-faced and denies having such a
document. So, _www.yell.com_ (http://www.yell.com) for Brittany Ferries,
Transmanche, and Sea France, and phone (free), ask them to send me their brochures.

Another crazy feature is the time the journey takes. When traveling via
Portsmouth (nearest ferry) I leave home at least five hours before the departure
time, usually more. The crossing can take up to 8 hours. Plus travel at the
other end. But I have driven from Dinan to Calais, taken the tunnel, then
driven from Dover to Swansea in 12 hours, without exceeding the speed limit.

If you have a dog, do not book to return to UK on a Monday. Your vet will
charge extra for a weekend appointment.

602

**************

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 13/10/08 06:51, "W3526602@aol.com" <W3526602@aol.com> wrote:

The on-line system seems to be that you tell them when you want to travel,
and they tell you how much it will cost.
I ignore them, 602. On-line booking is a bit like feeling your way thru a
swamp, but look for the sites that have <Earlier Sailing> and <Later
Sailing> buttons. Or, like Sea France, actually give prices against
sailings.

And then pets are seen as excuses to print money. On Speedferries, a pet
costs £22 extra on top the £29 fare for a car and 5 passengers. They used to
charge £7 e.w.

Channelpirates.com have dropped all their campaigning and are now working
FOR the ferry companies.
Bristol

Neill King \(MH-List\)

From: motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk
[mailto:motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk] On Behalf Of W3526602@aol.com
"The on-line system seems to be that you tell them when you want to travel,
and they tell you how much it will cost..." etc
The on-line system is good at showing you any current bargains based on
(lack of) traffic volume for particular sailings. Naturally enough you won't
find those in brochures. It is of course generally true that travelling
midweek and off-peak is cheapest, as is booking with either very short or
very much longer notice. The better web sites like Sea France will quote for
your exact request but also allow you to page forwards and backwards to see
other priced sailings at other times and on other days.
Sea France are exceptionally competitive at the moment I've just booked our winter trip crossings for 46 return. Out at the beginning of Jan, back beginning of April, 7.7m motorhome.

P&O wanted 104 and Norfolkline wanted 160!

Andy Clarke
--
www.ukmotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website
www.motorhomemarket.co.uk - The Motorhome Classifieds