Topics

[MH-list] Van Morrison

Bennett Family

Is that on a Fiat or Mercedes chassis;-)

Bennett House

tiggerfj

--- In motorhome-list@..., Martin Bennett <martin@...>
wrote:

Is that on a Fiat or Mercedes chassis;-)

Bennett House
Dunno, but which ever base its on its incapable of spotting overhead
cameras on motorways

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 29/9/08 14:28, "tiggerfj" <fjmike@...> wrote:

Dunno, but which ever base its on its incapable of spotting overhead
cameras on motorways
Ah! They are working at last. Not a bad thing, especially if they do average
speeds, for I think that they really will help save lives.. As opposed to
the normal so-called safety cameras. I rarely do more than 60, so, like the
reformed smoker, I can be awfully smug about it all.
Bristol

G Dawson <sucodude@...>

Did you notice the report in the papers last week, Ernie, latest figures
released show that only 8% of accidents are the result of excessive speed so
who,s causing the other 92% , and they say speed cameras are only cash cows,
hard to believe aint it !..TIC.....Geoff

On 29/09/2008, Ernest <ernb@...> wrote:

On 29/9/08 14:28, "tiggerfj" <fjmike@... <fjmike%40gmail.com>>
wrote:

Dunno, but which ever base its on its incapable of spotting overhead
cameras on motorways
Ah! They are working at last. Not a bad thing, especially if they do
average
speeds, for I think that they really will help save lives.. As opposed to
the normal so-called safety cameras. I rarely do more than 60, so, like the
reformed smoker, I can be awfully smug about it all.
Bristol

Peter S

Have a look at

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

for many of the arguments around speed and cameras.

There are also some bits about average speed cameras and their problems.

Peter S

wrote:

Dunno, but which ever base its on its incapable of spotting overhead
cameras on motorways
Ah! They are working at last. Not a bad thing, especially if they do
average
speeds, for I think that they really will help save lives.. As opposed
the normal so-called safety cameras. I rarely do more than 60, so, like
the
reformed smoker, I can be awfully smug about it all.
Bristol

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
10:10

Mudstomper

Peter S wrote:

Have a look at

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/ <http://www.safespeed.org.uk/>

On 29/09/2008, Ernest <ernb@... <mailto:ernb%40supanet.com>>
wrote:

On 29/9/08 14:28, "tiggerfj" <fjmike@...
<mailto:fjmike%40gmail.com> <fjmike%40gmail.com>>
wrote:

Dunno, but which ever base its on its incapable of spotting overhead
cameras on motorways
Ah! They are working at last. Not a bad thing, especially if they do
average
speeds, for I think that they really will help save lives.. As opposed
the normal so-called safety cameras. I rarely do more than 60, so,
like
the
reformed smoker, I can be awfully smug about it all.
Bristol

For long term travelling/living in a motorhome:

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
21/09/2008
10:10

I liked the Portuguese sytem on back roads at least, where if you're speeding near traffic control, the lights turn red, annoys everyone behind you, mind you half the roads round Coimbra if you don't take it careful, long drops and no barriers can sort too much speeding pretty defininitivly :)

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 29/9/08 17:36, "Peter S" <pstallwood@...> wrote:

Have a look at

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

for many of the arguments around speed and cameras.
I also condemn the old style speed camera. I see them as a hazard. People
brake too hard and too late when they see the damned things, and could
easily lose control. Meanwhile, the locals, who know where the cameras are,
go like hell, slow to negotiate the trap and then speed up again. All very
dangerous practices.

However, with averaging speed cameras on motorways, drivers would have to
keep to the limits. Like in France. The toll booth machinery calculates your
average speed and you will get a ticket for getting from A to B too quickly.
Fair dos. Excess speed is a killer. How many of those numbnut Beemer and
Audi drivers really know how to control a car at 110+ mph?
Bristol

Peter S

But average speed cameras

1.cause speedoitis - constant looking at the speedo to the exclusion of
noticing more dangerous hazards.

2. they cause bunching - just see what happens when you go from the speed
cameraless M11 to the A14 with average speed cameras.

3. you get vehicles travelling side by side for greater periods increasing
risk.

4. the 70mph on my speedo is not necessarily the same as the 70mph on
someone else's. One or other may be being held up. Even then they may both
be below an actual 70mph.

I hate the things and always feel less safe travelling through a zone
controlled by them than with individual cameras.

What is excess speed anyway. 30mph outside a school is too fast at the
beginning or end of a school day. 110mph on the M20 at the dead of night is
perfectly safe. I (and many many others) have travelled on German autobahns
at well in excess of 100mph quite safely.

Peter S

PS Careful what you say - I have a Beemer!!

I also condemn the old style speed camera. I see them as a hazard. People
brake too hard and too late when they see the damned things, and could
easily lose control. Meanwhile, the locals, who know where the cameras
are,
go like hell, slow to negotiate the trap and then speed up again. All very
dangerous practices.

However, with averaging speed cameras on motorways, drivers would have to
keep to the limits. Like in France. The toll booth machinery calculates
your
average speed and you will get a ticket for getting from A to B too
quickly.
Fair dos. Excess speed is a killer. How many of those numbnut Beemer and
Audi drivers really know how to control a car at 110+ mph?
Bristol
7:40

Don Madge <don.madge@...>

On Mon 29 September 2008 19:22 Peter S wrote

Careful what you say - I have a Beemer!!

----------------------------------
The other day I was cruising along as usual in my BMW coming onto one of my
motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down
for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely
big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! (The
driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an
apology to me with a long blast of his horn.)

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane.
(Why do underlings use this lane? Surely everyone knows it is for BMW
drivers only?)

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the
adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an
inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway,
but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my
headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and
to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I
could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also
tried to keep up with me but when he realised I would out-run him, he put on
some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard
shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave
me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast!

Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to
take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some
points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was
only allowed 3.)

But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't
be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED
a driving licence, so they will take it off me!

See, now THAT's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a BMW.

Andy Clarke <andy@...>

I'm just wondering how long this is going to go on before someone thinks of changing the subject line....

Andy Clarke
--
www.ukmotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website
www.motorhomemarket.co.uk - The Motorhome Classifieds

Fredthegaffer <fredthegaffer@...>

I bet yours was one of the old inferior beemers that had working indicators. :p
Fred

On 29/9/08 22:43, "Andy Clarke" <andy@...> wrote:

I'm just wondering how long this is going to go on before someone thinks
of changing the subject line....
I thought the same, Andy - just after I posted my last reply. :-))
Bristol